Unusual chain suck.

Wayne Pein

Guest
I've experienced a type of chain suck on my road bike a few times now. Unusual I say because my
chainrings are nearly new, so the usual culprit of worn hooked teeth is not the answer.

The chain sticks to the aft side of the small ring when I've shifted from big to small, but I've
not, unfortunately, taken care to see exactly how. Its only happend when I've been riding with a
group, so I was in a hurry to fix it while still riding. It may be jamming between rings or the
small ring may be jamming between the chain side plate and roller, but I'm just guessing.

It's an 8sp Sachs in good condition, and the rings are 53/39 Campy 8/9. I use downtube friction.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Wayne

I was going to say try a new chain, but the sachs should work fine if it isn't boogered up.

So instead, it may be not enough tension on the chain allowing it to stick to the back of the ring.
Try removing a few links.

Hope this helps.

Mark

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've experienced a type of chain suck on my road bike a few times now. Unusual I say because my
> chainrings are nearly new, so the usual culprit of worn hooked teeth is not the answer.
>
> The chain sticks to the aft side of the small ring when I've shifted from big to small, but I've
> not, unfortunately, taken care to see exactly how. Its only happend when I've been riding with a
> group, so I was in a hurry to fix it while still riding. It may be jamming between rings or the
> small ring may be jamming between the chain side plate and roller, but I'm just guessing.
>
> It's an 8sp Sachs in good condition, and the rings are 53/39 Campy 8/9. I use downtube friction.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Wayne

I'd add to that, making sure it's clean and well lubed. I found that one of the ways that I know
that I'm well past the point when I should clean my chain and rings is that it sucks on occasion.

David

Wayne Pein wrote:

> I've experienced a type of chain suck on my road bike a few times now. Unusual I say because my
> chainrings are nearly new, so the usual culprit of worn hooked teeth is not the answer.
>
> The chain sticks to the aft side of the small ring when I've shifted from big to small, but I've
> not, unfortunately, taken care to see exactly how. Its only happend when I've been riding with a
> group, so I was in a hurry to fix it while still riding. It may be jamming between rings or the
> small ring may be jamming between the chain side plate and roller, but I'm just guessing.
>
> It's an 8sp Sachs in good condition, and the rings are 53/39 Campy 8/9. I use downtube friction.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Wayne

check for a bent tooth.

SB wrote:

> I was going to say try a new chain, but the sachs should work fine if it isn't boogered up.
>
> So instead, it may be not enough tension on the chain allowing it to stick to the back of the
> ring. Try removing a few links.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Mark

That's worth a check.

Thanks, Wayne

J ames Connell wrote:

> check for a bent tooth.

That was a good idea. I just did and there doesn't seem to be a bent one.

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:
> J ames Connell wrote:
>

>>check for a bent tooth.
>

> That was a good idea. I just did and there doesn't seem to be a bent one.
>
> Wayne

since you checked that i assume you don't have a 'bur' on a tooth either. that can cause it also.
check for a tight link in the chain too. although that is noticable as it goes through the der. and
will happen (usually) on both rings. chain tension was already mentioned.

I had the same problem with a Coda Crank, the bike had less than 500 miles on it, I replaced the
chain thinking it may be defective, still had chain suck. Finally replaced the Coda crank with a
Shimano Deore and no more problems. I suspect the small chain ring was to thick for a 9 speed chain,
as I put the Coda crank on an 8 speed bike and it worked fine. So, I would check the small chain
ring, it may be to thick or has a bent tooth, especially if the Suck occurs when the chain is on
either extreme (smallest or largest) rear cassette rings.