Unusual chainset wear?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Yippee38, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

HELP!

I bought an '05 Specialized Allez Comp about a week and a half ago. I've got just shy of 80 miles (125km) on it. Today I started cleaning the chain on the bike; just wiping it off with a cotton cloth, brush and q-tips. I was working on the large gear on the chainset and noticed a horrible amount of wear. This can't be normal. I haven't beaten on the bike at all. I've only ridden on paved paths. I'm thinking that even if I had treated the bike very badly, this kind of wear is not possible.

My concern is that I got a VERY good deal on the bike from a LBS. I am thinking that they may have sold it to me this way, and that's why they gave me such a good deal. However, they never said anything about it.

What do you all think? I'm also considering sending an e-mail to Specialized to ask about this. Any other suggestions?

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yippee38

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

It's all ok, they are cut like that to facilitate faster shifting. :cool:

3. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

Heh. If that's case, they should've done that to the middle gear, not the top gear. I've always had good shifts going up to the third gear, but always crappy ones going up to the middle one.

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Funny you got so alarmed, since they're all like that and have been for years. Guess it does seem a bit odd at first...you wouldn't be an engineer, would you?

Trust that Shimano knows how to cut the chainring gears to optimize shifting. If you're having problems with any shifting, just go back to the LBS and have them take a look at the adjustment and alignment of the FD. Meanwhile, relax and enjoy your new bike!

5. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

The middle chainring, is it 39 or 42? If 39, it may be an inner and not a middle. The LBS would be able to tell, or post a pix from the other side of the crankset. Anyhow, correct adjustment will help that inner-middle shift.

6. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

It's 52/42/30.

Are you serious? It's supposed to be like that? Some of the teeth look broken off, and others look very worn down. Many of them are just different lengths.

7. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Yup, its all OK :cool: You should see some of the IG cranksets on MTBs... :eek:

8. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Let's just hope he doesn't repair the brakes on school busses!! :eek:

9. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

I actually did that once. The company liked me a lot. I kept saving them money because I didn't need all the parts. ;)

10. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

if you still have doubts, send it to me, I'll give you $99 for it or my old FSA Triple (105) 9 speed crankset for it. :D

11. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Nothing like keeping costs down to make the boss happy. :)

Most chainrings today are notched and grooved like that to assist in shifting as mentioned above. However, there are exceptions. I have two Specialized road bikes which came with their house brand cranksets. The large and granny rings aren't notched (granny gear doesn't need it) and I don't remember if the middle ring is or not. I don't think it is. They shift fine but I don't put them under a lot of stress like someone who races. I also don't shift under load.

Anyway, as long as you keep your chain in good shape you should get quite a bit of use out of your chainrings. Nothing tears up a perfectly good drivetrain like a worn/stretched chain.