Unusual Message in PT Display

Lucy_Aspenwind

Sep 27, 2006
I checked the user manual and also did a search here but didn't find any results so I'll ask if any of you has experienced the following...

The word dATA being displayed on the PT computer at the bottom (where cadence, time, etc are) every 30 seconds or so? The computer seems to be working fine otherwise but I've never seen this display. I'm pretty sure the batteries are OK as I changed them but two months ago.

Thanks!

Hmmm..... Data was the name of the android on Star Trek - The Next Generation, who had super-human strength. Were you subjecting the PT to your sprint workouts at the time? ;) :D

frenchyge said:
Hmmm..... Data was the name of the android on Star Trek - The Next Generation, who had super-human strength. Were you subjecting the PT to your sprint workouts at the time? ;) :D
Super-human? Hmm, in the realm of procrastination and all things bohemian, I might well be that. :)

Regrettably, I'm seeing this display now as I do my Level 4 training indoors on the trainer. And no, I'm not sprinting, I'm watching a movie as I do this ritual
cool.gif

Every 30 seconds or so, it shows up on the bottom line for a few seconds.....rinse and repeat ad naseum.

Any ideas?

Have you downloaded those workouts to see if there are drops in the data stream?

If 2 wires get shorted together in the wiring harness, it'll kick the CPU into hOST mode, but my guess would be that if one wire starts to break then it might interrupt the dATA stream instead. Pure speculation/intuition, mind you.

frenchyge said:
Have you downloaded those workouts to see if there are drops in the data stream?

If 2 wires get shorted together in the wiring harness, it'll kick the CPU into hOST mode, but my guess would be that if one wire starts to break then it might interrupt the dATA stream instead. Pure speculation/intuition, mind you.
I just finished the 2x20 workout and downloaded the "data". I say "data" because there weren't just drops, rather there is no data whatsoever, even though I was riding for an hour or so.

I disconnected the PM from the handle mount and retried it but got the same result (problem)

Here's a picture of what it looks like while actively riding:

7xugsv5.jpg

Every 1/2 minute or so, the cadence/time/odometer/hr line at the bottom just switches to that dATA display you see in the pic.

So at this point, it obviously isn't recording the data and is simply functioning as a display only unit. I guess I'll have to start manually entering in my workouts into WKO, uggh..

Strange that it appears to be receiving and computing correctly, but not storing the data. Is it possible that you've filled the onboard memory by not clearing the CPU after a few rides?

In the picture, you were reviewing a previously completed interval at the time. Is that the only time you get the data message, or does it happen during realtime displays also?

At this point I should probably just step back and hope for someone who really knows the problem to answer.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
I just finished the 2x20 workout and downloaded the "data". I say "data" because there weren't just drops, rather there is no data whatsoever, even though I was riding for an hour or so.

I disconnected the PM from the handle mount and retried it but got the same result (problem)

Here's a picture of what it looks like while actively riding:

Every 1/2 minute or so, the cadence/time/odometer/hr line at the bottom just switches to that dATA display you see in the pic.

So at this point, it obviously isn't recording the data and is simply functioning as a display only unit. I guess I'll have to start manually entering in my workouts into WKO, uggh..
I apologize in advance if my hints below seem quite elementary, but more often than not one of them will work.

While I'm not familiar with the product you are using, it sounds as if there is a hardware or communications failure somewhere. Here are some things that you might want to try first, mininal expense being the priority. First, disconnect all sources of power either battery or receptacle, wait a minute or so and plug everything back in. If there are any cables used to communicate with other devices, unplug and reconnect each one. Check all connections to be sure they are secure, then run the cables with your fingers and eyes to see if there is any physical damage. Replace as needed. Check with the manufacturer of your trainer to see if there are any software or firmware updates that might be available and follow those steps to upgrade (these are 99.99% free, but you have to follow the instructions carefully). Replace all batteries, if any.

If the problem isn't resolved by now it would be best to contact the manufacturer's technical support line to open a trouble ticket. Here's where you have to do a little detective work beforehand. Think about what you were doing or events that took place before the first time you saw the error and what you have done to try to reset things. Explain the loss of data capture and how frequently this occurs (sounds like always in your case). Most importantly, be patient. If this is a known hardware problem, you will most likely not find a solution to the problem on the manufacturer's public website. Engineers keep these issues close to the vest since it directly correlates with marketing. You may have to send one or more components back (worst case scenario :mad: ) so be prepared for that possibility, although God willing and the creek don't rise, you won't need to.

I know this seems a little long-winded, I can almost guarantee it's what tech support will tell you to do before there is any inkling of actually servicing the components you are using.

drcobol said:
I apologize in advance if my hints below seem quite elementary, but more often than not one of them will work.

While I'm not familiar with the product you are using, it sounds as if there is a hardware or communications failure somewhere. Here are some things that you might want to try first, mininal expense being the priority. First, disconnect all sources of power either battery or receptacle, wait a minute or so and plug everything back in. If there are any cables used to communicate with other devices, unplug and reconnect each one. Check all connections to be sure they are secure, then run the cables with your fingers and eyes to see if there is any physical damage. Replace as needed. Check with the manufacturer of your trainer to see if there are any software or firmware updates that might be available and follow those steps to upgrade (these are 99.99% free, but you have to follow the instructions carefully). Replace all batteries, if any.

If the problem isn't resolved by now it would be best to contact the manufacturer's technical support line to open a trouble ticket. Here's where you have to do a little detective work beforehand. Think about what you were doing or events that took place before the first time you saw the error and what you have done to try to reset things. Explain the loss of data capture and how frequently this occurs (sounds like always in your case). Most importantly, be patient. If this is a known hardware problem, you will most likely not find a solution to the problem on the manufacturer's public website. Engineers keep these issues close to the vest since it directly correlates with marketing. You may have to send one or more components back (worst case scenario :mad: ) so be prepared for that possibility, although God willing and the creek don't rise, you won't need to.

I know this seems a little long-winded, I can almost guarantee it's what tech support will tell you to do before there is any inkling of actually servicing the components you are using.
No offense taken. I'm familiar with the tech support routine.

Really, I just want the thing to work so I'm hardly above going through the basic setup (or rather, redoing the setup, etc).

As for changes, I can say none, meaning I've changed nothing since I last rode the bike. Last time, as with my most recent ride, the bike was on the trainer, indoors and not used since. About the only thing I did between then and now, was obviously download the data from the unit onto WKO.

frenchyge said:
Strange that it appears to be receiving and computing correctly, but not storing the data. Is it possible that you've filled the onboard memory by not clearing the CPU after a few rides?

In the picture, you were reviewing a previously completed interval at the time. Is that the only time you get the data message, or does it happen during realtime displays also?

At this point I should probably just step back and hope for someone who really knows the problem to answer.
Well, I'm willing to consider most any and all possibilities, but I did clear the computer, as I always do, before starting.

The 'data' message appears during realtime while riding, I was actually turning the pedals when I took the picture.

The message is annoying enough but the real kicker is that no data is being recorded. I find it sort of baffling although admittedly I'm not sure which unit (hub or computer) actually 'records' the data. Maybe knowing that would help me solve the problem? This PT is a little over a year old so I'm hoping its shelf life is a tad longer!

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
......The message is annoying enough but the real kicker is that no data is being recorded. I find it sort of baffling although admittedly I'm not sure which unit (hub or computer) actually 'records' the data. Maybe knowing that would help me solve the problem? ...
The data is actually recorded in the CPU, not the hub. It's not like you do a ride, record it in the hub and it's then shipped en masse to the CPU just before you finish your ride. The data is streamed continuously while you ride and collected and stored in the CPU unit.

It looks to me like the CPU "thinks" it's out of memory which might explain both the word "data" and the lack of recording. I see you clear it before each ride, but perhaps it's gotten into a funny state and thinks the memory is full. I'd make note of all the bike settings including wheel diameters, favorite averaging times, odometer if that's important to you, etc. and pull the battery out for at least a minute to do a hard reset on the CPU. Then you'll have to go back into setup and reset all your favorite settings. It's just a guess, but it sound me like a hard reset is in order.

Good luck,
Dave

Icicle Spider said:
Maybe something is in here: http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/PowerTap-Troubleshooting-Guide-Basic.pdf

This does explain how to reset the entire unit, which might be worth a try.

Pat
Hi Pat, that's a helpful document. I actually came across it online while searching (am I the only one who doesn't call it 'googling'?! :p ) for information on this problem.

I've tried most (not quite everything) in the document but had no luck. What's interesting is that the problem I'm encountering isn't in the list they describe. So maybe this is somewhat unique?

daveryanwyoming said:
The data is actually recorded in the CPU, not the hub. It's not like you do a ride, record it in the hub and it's then shipped en masse to the CPU just before you finish your ride. The data is streamed continuously while you ride and collected and stored in the CPU unit.

It looks to me like the CPU "thinks" it's out of memory which might explain both the word "data" and the lack of recording. I see you clear it before each ride, but perhaps it's gotten into a funny state and thinks the memory is full. I'd make note of all the bike settings including wheel diameters, favorite averaging times, odometer if that's important to you, etc. and pull the battery out for at least a minute to do a hard reset on the CPU. Then you'll have to go back into setup and reset all your favorite settings. It's just a guess, but it sound me like a hard reset is in order.

Good luck,
Dave
Thanks for your thoughts on this Dave. I wasn't sure where the 'recording', sort to speak, was done so what you said makes it clear. Clear that something's up with my CPU apparently.

I'm going to take out the battery from the computer and then put it all back together a few minutes later.

I'll post the details of what happens, though I'm crossing my fingers in hopes of it working :)

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
The 'data' message appears during realtime while riding, I was actually turning the pedals when I took the picture.
What I was referring to is the fact that, in the picture, the little M in the circle next to the Interval 6 indicates that the average power shown in the picture is not the current (realtime) average, but rather the average power from back in interval 6. IOW, the data shown in the picture is being recalled from the CPU's memory as stored in interval 6. Interval Memory Mode is described on page 22 of the owner's manual. To get out of that mode, hold the Mode button for 2 seconds.

If you weren't aware that 6 intervals were previously stored in the CPU, then possibly the memory isn't clearing the way it should. Page 34, step 9 decribes the Fast Memory test, which I might suggest.

Does the CPU still display "data" when it's not in the harness?

If not then it's probably the harness as this is the weakest component of the PT system and is prone to full or partial failure. Try on another harness and see what happens.

Hey guys, I tried it this morning after removing the battery from the unit overnight, as Dave had suggested, and it seemed to work. Granted, I was only on the bike for 5 minutes but prior to removing the battery, the 'dATA' message appeared every 30 seconds consistently. I didn't download the data though so I can't be certain that any of it was actually recorded. Tomorrow I'll do another full workout and really be able to tell, I hope.

About the harness, I understand what's being said about it being a component prone to failure and such. Playing devil's advocate for a second, if the harness were defective, wouldn't that tend to prevent the watts display from working right? The watts display seems fine, it is just that 'dATA' message and the fact the unit isn't recording.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
About the harness, I understand what's being said about it being a component prone to failure and such. Playing devil's advocate for a second, if the harness were defective, wouldn't that tend to prevent the watts display from working right? The watts display seems fine, it is just that 'dATA' message and the fact the unit isn't recording.
Not necessarily. It could possibly do that if harness wires are temporarily or intermittently shorted in some way that didn't quite make it think it was in the PC download cradle.

This is sort of a postscript but in short, the problem has been resolved.

Apparently taking out the batteries for a while seems to have gotten things back in order.

I suppose this is the powertap equivalent of rebooting the PC, so I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks for all the tips :)