Unusual sighting...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Naqerj, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    This is (sort of) another of those "Death Wish Cyclist" stylee postings
    but...

    Usual sort of thing: yesterday evening, during my once-a-week session
    behind the wheel of a motor car, I was going down a bit of dual carriage
    way in the nearside lane when I see a POB - dark cloths, no lights, &c,
    &c. But here's the unusual bit: he [1] was cycling *towards* me up the
    outside lane! I haven't noticed any report of an accident in the local
    paper so I presume he made it OK as far as the roundabout that was about
    100 yards ahead of him... I wonder which way he went around that.

    [1] probably a he anyway, judging from his build.

    --
    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    "Naqerj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is (sort of) another of those "Death Wish Cyclist" stylee postings
    > but...
    >
    > Usual sort of thing: yesterday evening, during my once-a-week session
    > behind the wheel of a motor car, I was going down a bit of dual carriage
    > way in the nearside lane when I see a POB - dark cloths, no lights, &c,
    > &c. But here's the unusual bit: he [1] was cycling *towards* me up the
    > outside lane! I haven't noticed any report of an accident in the local
    > paper so I presume he made it OK as far as the roundabout that was about
    > 100 yards ahead of him... I wonder which way he went around that.
    >
    > [1] probably a he anyway, judging from his build.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew

    Had that happen to me many times in the last thirty years!
    Difference though, is that it has always been cars in
    Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire and usually late at night.
    The most frightening was when it happened on a foggy night. and I didn't
    even know about it 'till the car passed me . Would have been horrifying if
    traffic from my direction had been two abreast (or complying with the modern
    trend of never using the inside lane). At least, it was very late and not
    too many people about.
    My guess is drunk American servicemen from the air bases up there.

    Paul.

  3. OG

    OG Guest

    "Paulmouk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Naqerj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> This is (sort of) another of those "Death Wish Cyclist" stylee postings
    >> but...
    >>
    >> Usual sort of thing: yesterday evening, during my once-a-week session
    >> behind the wheel of a motor car, I was going down a bit of dual carriage
    >> way in the nearside lane when I see a POB - dark cloths, no lights, &c,
    >> &c. But here's the unusual bit: he [1] was cycling *towards* me up the
    >> outside lane! I haven't noticed any report of an accident in the local
    >> paper so I presume he made it OK as far as the roundabout that was about
    >> 100 yards ahead of him... I wonder which way he went around that.
    >>
    >> [1] probably a he anyway, judging from his build.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Andrew

    > Had that happen to me many times in the last thirty years!
    > Difference though, is that it has always been cars in
    > Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire and usually late at night.
    > The most frightening was when it happened on a foggy night. and I didn't
    > even know about it 'till the car passed me . Would have been horrifying if
    > traffic from my direction had been two abreast (or complying with the
    > modern trend of never using the inside lane). At least, it was very late
    > and not too many people about.
    > My guess is drunk American servicemen from the air bases up there.

    It wouldn't surprise me if they were wearing night vision goggles.

  4. "Paulmouk" <[email protected]> writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Naqerj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> This is (sort of) another of those "Death Wish Cyclist" stylee
    >> postings but...
    >>
    >> Usual sort of thing: yesterday evening, during my once-a-week session
    >> behind the wheel of a motor car, I was going down a bit of dual
    >> carriage way in the nearside lane when I see a POB - dark cloths, no
    >> lights, &c, &c. But here's the unusual bit: he [1] was cycling
    >> *towards* me up the outside lane! I haven't noticed any report of an
    >> accident in the local paper so I presume he made it OK as far as the
    >> roundabout that was about 100 yards ahead of him... I wonder which
    >> way he went around that.
    >>
    >> [1] probably a he anyway, judging from his build.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Andrew

    > Had that happen to me many times in the last thirty years!
    > Difference though, is that it has always been cars in
    > Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire and usually late at night.
    > The most frightening was when it happened on a foggy night. and I
    > didn't even know about it 'till the car passed me . Would have been
    > horrifying if traffic from my direction had been two abreast (or
    > complying with the modern trend of never using the inside lane). At
    > least, it was very late and not too many people about.
    > My guess is drunk American servicemen from the air bases up there.
    >
    > Paul.

    Isn't this a macho German thing, ISTR there is a word for it which when
    tranlsated means 'Ghost Driver'.

  5. Naqerj <[email protected]> writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > This is (sort of) another of those "Death Wish Cyclist" stylee postings
    > but...
    >
    > Usual sort of thing: yesterday evening, during my once-a-week session
    > behind the wheel of a motor car, I was going down a bit of dual carriage
    > way in the nearside lane when I see a POB - dark cloths, no lights, &c,
    > &c. But here's the unusual bit: he [1] was cycling *towards* me up the
    > outside lane! I haven't noticed any report of an accident in the local
    > paper so I presume he made it OK as far as the roundabout that was about

    This year I've seen something not noticed before - bike riders with red
    lights on the front - bl**dy confusing!