Unusual Site

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joe Sozanski, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Joe Sozanski

    Joe Sozanski Guest

    I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    nothing to cause
    it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It
    looked like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along! Joe
    Wishbone #56 Elmira NY

    Tags:

  2. So like when you were younger and everyone warned you that using those cheap drugs will someday
    comeback and bite you on the ass....you ignored them didn't you? Other explanations: Tasmanian Devil
    escaped from the Cartoons on TV and is running amok near the airport. Sometimes aircraft taking off
    disrupt the regular airflow creating a horizontal spiral effect and I suppose one such trail could
    wander away and go vertical...but cheap drugs still sound more likely. Water Spouts appear and
    travel over water and will sometimes come ashore & they look like small tornadoes....but wet. Tidy
    Bowl toilet cleaner demo gone horribly astray. Elmira N.Y.??? Joseph Smith country and I wonder if
    Joseph got into the mushrooms before he found the Angel Moroni in the woods....hmmm guess I should
    avoid any blasphemy here lest I piss off any Mormons in the crowd. The fact I even know who the
    Angel Moroni was bothers me somewhat. Considering all the weird weather upstate N.Y. has been
    having....anything is possible. Prelude to an alien invasion. Methane gas leak in the parking lot
    and a car drives passed which results in a spiral of dust mixed with carbon and oxygen, which
    becomes a new life form and that is embarrassed at you staring at it and decides to head for cover
    and privacy in the nearby woods, gets to the woods and forgets why it is there...loses the will to
    survive in such a confusing world and disperses it's own atoms in a suicidal gesture. So Joe how
    much was that Nepalese Opium laced Hashish? (not that I would know anything about such illegal
    substances you understand).
    -----------------------------
    "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > nothing to cause
    > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It looked
    > like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along! Joe Wishbone #56
    > Elmira NY

  3. "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > nothing to cause
    > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It looked
    > like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along! Joe Wishbone #56
    > Elmira NY

    Here on the prairie, dust devils are are ubiquitous. Some of them can get pretty large, kind of like
    mini-tornados. A few years ago we had visitors from out east and as we were all sitting in our
    living room, we could see a big one coming through the newly-sown field across the street from our
    house. Our visitor almost had a heart attack- he'd never seen a tornado and he thought that this
    must be one. It was big enough to toss empty garbage cans around but when it passed by, we were
    still alive. Mostly.

    rich

  4. "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > nothing to cause
    > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It looked
    > like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along!

    Most likely a thermal detaching. That is to say a big bubble of air thats hotter than the
    surrounding lifting off. They can get pretty hefty. I recall flying my glider in some where the
    variometer just went to the top and stayed there (on the 5 m/s setting). Kinda like riding an
    elevator and since I was already close to the cloudbase I could go like a bat out of a certain
    hot place.

    M.

  5. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Wile E. Coyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
    > Elmira N.Y.??? Joseph Smith country and I wonder if Joseph got into the mushrooms before he found
    > the Angel Moroni in the woods....hmmm guess I should avoid any blasphemy here lest I piss off any
    > Mormons in the crowd. The fact I even know who the Angel Moroni was bothers me somewhat.

    The fact that I know he/she/it turned into a salamander bothers me even more!

  6. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    I thought dust devils were quite common. I think they show up in wind areas with large open fields.
    I remember seeing quite a few of them in the hay fields as I was growing up, especially on hot days.
    I guess they would be less likely in cities or hillier areas. Craig

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > > nothing to cause
    > > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It
    > > looked like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along! Joe
    > > Wishbone #56 Elmira NY
    >
    > Here on the prairie, dust devils are are ubiquitous. Some of them can get pretty large, kind of
    > like mini-tornados. A few years ago we had visitors from out east and as we were all sitting in
    > our living room, we could see a big one coming through the newly-sown field across the street from
    > our house. Our visitor almost had a heart attack- he'd never seen a tornado and he thought that
    > this must be one. It was big enough to toss empty garbage cans around but when it passed by, we
    > were still alive. Mostly.
    >
    > rich

  7. Arnold Layne

    Arnold Layne Guest

    I've seen those a lot here in Indiana. They're called dust devils. I once saw a Will-O-The-Wisp.
    That was pretty rare and cool too. This past winter we had something here that I'd never even heard
    of before and that was snow rollers. The wind has to be just the right speed and the snow has to be
    just right where it starts getting a crust on the top. Then the snow just rolls up into a pipe about
    a foot long and about 8 or 10 inches in diameter. They were just all over the place. It happened at
    night so when I went out to go to work the next day it looked like someone had been in our yard
    rolling up the snow. Then I noticed they were everywhere so I knew it wasn't kids. I guess they're
    pretty common out on the prairie but I'm 49 and have never seen of heard of them here.

    "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > nothing to cause
    > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It looked
    > like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along! Joe Wishbone #56
    > Elmira NY

  8. Brief bytes of W. Coyote's comments: I should avoid blasphemy-----offending Mormons in the
    crowd-----J. Smith----funny mushrooms-----etc.
    ____________________________________

    There may indeed be some of them in the crowd. Have you noticed that they now send out many of
    their young automatons on bicycles, to pester people who weren't alert enough to see them
    coming and duck for cover? I wonder if they use a special issue of bicycle that is made for
    them in a large production run and if so, what would be its unique features? Might they have
    their own bicycle discussion group? Something like alt.bicycling.moroni ? Should we try to
    invite them into this group and bring enlightenment to their lives? I recently learned that a
    friend is a member of the "Reformed Mormons", a splinter organization. What is different about
    the unreformed ones? Wouldn't "Recumbent Mormons" be a great title?

    Steve McDonald

  9. [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Brief bytes of W. Coyote's comments: I should avoid blasphemy-----offending Mormons in the
    > crowd-----J. Smith----funny mushrooms-----etc.
    > ____________________________________
    >
    > There may indeed be some of them in the crowd. Have you noticed that they now send out many
    > of their young automatons on bicycles, to pester people who weren't alert enough to see them
    > coming and duck for cover? I wonder if they use a special issue of bicycle that is made for
    > them in a large production run and if so, what would be its unique features? Might they have
    > their own bicycle discussion group? Something like alt.bicycling.moroni ? Should we try to
    > invite them into this group and bring enlightenment to their lives? I recently learned that a
    > friend is a member of the "Reformed Mormons", a splinter organization. What is different
    > about the unreformed ones? Wouldn't "Recumbent Mormons" be a great title?

    Ahh, yes, the Mormon Bicycle Assault Squadrons. A friend of mine is a Mormon. Like most groups out
    there, most of them are fine but there are a few that take things too far.

    My Mormon friend was snickering for hours after I told her that the MBAS caught me while I
    wasn't looking.

    -Bill Hamilton

  10. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Joe Sozanski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw something unusual today while riding. It was a strange day windy and the wind direction
    > constantly changed. Out by the airport in the parking lot of a mini store I saw a dust cloud but
    > nothing to cause
    > it. In a matter of seconds it began to spin and looked like a mini tornado about 10-12 feet high
    > the dust and debris inside was really spinning. It moved acrossed the road toward some trees
    > and a hedge then broke up. I've seen them in the distance before but never up close. It looked
    > like some kind of science demonstration. I sure wish I'd had a camera along!

    These "dust devils" are commonplace in Kansas, where I grew up. Really neat, actually. I've seen
    dozens of 'em gliding up the gravel road out in front of my childhood home.

    FWIW: That same neighborhood was flattened in the early '90's by a category 5 tornado. It missed my
    childhood home; but there was a perfectly intact wooden canoe sticking out of the garage! It bounced
    off of my old 1957 Chevy before it stuck through the garage. :-(

    Barry "Auntie Em! It's a twister!" Sanders