Unusual time trial frame

=gabriel=

Nov 9, 2007
I've been looking for a time trial bike to race at uni level (BUSA) and maybe do a few amateur league races. Today I bumped into an amazing Trek someone just across the road is selling. It is a rare model with a massive flat central section which supports the saddle so there is no triangular geometry. It looks a bit like the bike someone designed in the engineer competition (ORYX - http://www.core77.com/blog/images/oryx.jpg). It is not quite that extraordinary but I've certainly never seen one in any big races.
I absoluely love that frame, it looks SO cool. The only concern I have is how many races would I actually be able to enter? Are BUSA likely to let me use this frame? Who shall I ask?

The Trek Y Foil frame? Nice bike, not particularly rare though the run was short. It probably would be a nice tri bike, but Ive never seen someone show up to a race on one, though I do know a few people with them. I dont know if they would let you race on one.

Martin Williams said:
The Trek Y Foil frame? Nice bike, not particularly rare though the run was short. It probably would be a nice tri bike, but Ive never seen someone show up to a race on one, though I do know a few people with them. I dont know if they would let you race on one.
Yes, that's the one. Well I haven't seen one myself but then I only raced for 3 or so years. It looks great and is probably really aerodynamic, just don't want to waste money on something I won't be able to use for races..

=gabriel= said:
Yes, that's the one. Well I haven't seen one myself but then I only raced for 3 or so years. It looks great and is probably really aerodynamic, just don't want to waste money on something I won't be able to use for races..
Why dont you write a letter or email them and ask?

Looks kind of like a Softride. Not sure about the rules for BUSA, but I do know that for any USACycling or UCI race you wouldn't be allowed to use that bike, even for time trials, though I'm pretty sure that you can still use them for triathalons in the United States.