Unusual water bottle location?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dana Kilalps, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Dana Kilalps

    Dana Kilalps Guest

    I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom bracket.
    I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of riding. I
    wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has not occurred
    to me. Dana

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dana Kilalps <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    > _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    > bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    > riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    > not occurred to me.

    The under-side bottle mounts were common on touring bikes of that period, assuming the frame was
    large enough to accommodate them. If you really need that third water bottle, you probably won't
    mind the crud. Tools and batteries can also be carried there. Keep in mind that this predates
    CamelBak so it's either a bottle cage or put your water in a pannier.

    --Paul

  3. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    > _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    > bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    > riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    > not occurred to me.

    Would also be useful for a fuel bottle (although certainly not the primary idea). I've seen a
    "bottle beret" sold to protect the drinking end of water bottles.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  4. Pat Clancy

    Pat Clancy Guest

    If you still want to use that under-the-downtube bottle location, there are water bottles with
    hinged covers that keep the spout clean. I've never gotten used to a CamelBack, so I use these
    bottles when MTB'ing, where even bottles mounted in the more conventional locations can get dirty.

    Pat

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    > _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    > bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    > riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    > not occurred to me. Dana

  5. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube
    in
    > the usual place. There's a second set on the _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only
    > about three inches up from the bottom bracket.
    > once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of riding. I
    > wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has not
    > occurred to me.

    My 2000 Novara Randonee tourer has the third bottle mount; it's not uncommon on touring bikes. Bruce
    Gordon's bikes still have it, among others.

    I mount the battery for my lighting system there in the warmer months. That leaves the second cage
    free for my coffee thermos which, after it's emptied during the workday, gets filled with cold
    springwater from the cooler for last part of the ride home.

    RichC

  6. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has not
    > occurred to me.

    That's where Ellsworth put the only water bottle mount on my Isis.

    Makes a good place to stash the tool roll. Mostly I carry my water in a belt pack, except when it's
    really, really hot and I need more than 2 bottles, then I wear a CamelBack.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  7. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube
    in
    > the usual place. There's a second set on the _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only
    > about three inches up from the bottom bracket.
    > once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of riding. I
    > wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has not occurred
    > to me. Dana

    Some bikes with a really small centre area - because of the tendency to put the cross bar on a
    sloped angle - have only one set of bosses and they are under the down tube. It's not just older
    bikes, last years Mongoose Pro Rockadile SX - had only one set down there and yes the drink did get
    really dirty. It also really limits the size of the drink because it rubs on the tyre. My daughters
    cheap LBS bikes, one of them has only a drink holder under the downtube, but it's so close to the
    tyre that no drink actually fits there.

    Trentus

  8. Paul Southworth wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Dana Kilalps <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    >> bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    >> _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    >> bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    >> riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    >> not occurred to me.
    >
    > The under-side bottle mounts were common on touring bikes of that period, assuming the frame was
    > large enough to accommodate them. If you really need that third water bottle, you probably won't
    > mind the crud. Tools and batteries can also be carried there. Keep in mind that this predates
    > CamelBak so it's either a bottle cage or put your water in a pannier.

    Also, touring bikes are more likely to have full fenders which would greatly reduce the crud. Many
    touring bikes still are made with those extra mounts (e.g. the Trek 520, I believe).

    You could also stick the air-pressure bladder for an "Air Zound" air horn in there.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent. -- Walt Kelly

    Paul Southworth wrote:

    > The under-side bottle mounts were common on touring bikes of that period, assuming the frame was
    > large enough to accommodate them. If you really need that third water bottle, you probably won't
    > mind the crud. Tools and batteries can also be carried there. Keep in mind that this predates
    > CamelBak so it's either a bottle cage or put your water in a pannier.

    That's correct. This location was also sometimes used by camping cyclists for a bottle of stove
    fuel, white gas or the like.

    Sheldon "Prefers Restaurants" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    | Life is what happens to you, | while you're busy making other plans. | --John Lennon |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  10. Pat Clancy wrote:
    > If you still want to use that under-the-downtube bottle location, there are water bottles with
    > hinged covers that keep the spout clean. I've never gotten used to a CamelBack, so I use these
    > bottles when MTB'ing, where even bottles mounted in the more conventional locations can get dirty.

    That's what I put there on my tour last summer: a bottle with a filter built in. I never drink from
    it, but use it to refill my other bottles, so dirt, such as it was, wasn't an issue. It's not as if
    you can reach it while moving, anyway.

  11. Norm wrote:

    > Talking of which, I used to have a very handy zipped-lid tool pouch, was the same shape as a
    > bottle, for this very purpose. I found it very handy for a small, on the road toolkit - making a
    > seat pack work when there's a light already attached to the seat-post can be a bore... Anyhow, I
    > can't seem to find one like it anymore. Anyone know if such an item is still available anywhere?

    A 'rewards' program I'm a member of has a hard-cased bottle that comes with standard bike
    tools - screwdrivers, wrenches, a chain tool, etc. Doesn't look like very high quality or low
    weight, mind you.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Pat Clancy) wrote:
    >If you still want to use that under-the-downtube bottle location, there are water bottles with
    >hinged covers that keep the spout clean. I've never gotten used to a CamelBack, so I use these
    >bottles when MTB'ing, where even bottles mounted in the more conventional locations can get dirty.
    >
    >Pat
    >
    >"Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    >> bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    >> _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    >> bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    >> riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    >> not occurred to me. Dana

    I have had a bottle under the down tube during 2-3 longer rides (540 km non-stop). It's hard to get
    the bottle out of the cage. It can be dangerous to take the bottle out of the cage when riding in a
    large group, so I tried it when riding on my own before the ride.

    When one of the other bottles was empty, I switched it with the full bottle in that cage.

    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, EDB Teamco AS e-mail: [email protected] (remove nospam first)
    web: http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/

  13. Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    > Also, touring bikes are more likely to have full fenders which would greatly reduce the crud.

    Exactly. Bikes with this bottle carrier are intended to use fenders.

  14. Chunga

    Chunga Guest

    My 2002 Specialized Sirrus Pro has the lower mount also. In the summer I use it.

  15. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Dana Kilalps wrote:

    > I have a mid 80's Raleigh with decals on the top tube that say "Touring 18". It has a couple of
    > bosses for a water bottle cage on the down tube in the usual place. There's a second set on the
    > _underside_ of the down tube with the bottom one only about three inches up from the bottom
    > bracket. I once put a cage down there and carried a bottle, but it was very filthy after a bit of
    > riding. I wonder if the two one the underside of the downtube have a different purpose that has
    > not occurred to me. Dana

    Yep they're for a bottle cage. Three bottles and you're ready to go truckin' . We don' need no
    steenkin' Camel Bak!

    If it's dirty just use that bottle to refill your other bottle(s).

  16. The P

    The P Guest

    I'm pretty sure my Ralleigh Yukon mountain bike I had around 15 years ago had holes for a underside
    of the down tube bottle holder as well.