Unusual weight exercises?

Al

Guest
I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

Thanks

Al

Al wrote:
> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
improper form):

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Is that what you mean, or are you talking about oddball/old time lifts?

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Al) wrote:

> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

I'm offering up the Farmer Burns courses. Several of the lessons have
some different dumbbell exercises.

I kinda laughed when I saw this. Matt Furey is marketing the Farmer
Burns courses and here are the originals from 1912 scanned and offered
for free on the net.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Burns/burnsindex.htm

--
Keith

"Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

No, but I'll mention a few. One-legged squats and one-legged deadlifts.
Rollouts with an ab wheel. Barbell bent and side presses. The "full
contact twist" from Pavel's ab book. All great stuff. Pullup
variations - hold a dumbbell between your feet, use fewer than 10
fingers, etc.

Hey, deadlifts are "less-common" at most gyms - just deadlift!

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Al wrote:
>> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
>> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Al

> There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
> improper form):
>
> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Improper form you say? Such as?

Bob Garrison wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Al wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
>>>Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Al

>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
>>improper form):
>>
>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
>>

> Improper form you say? Such as?

Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
(to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
of form, such as the numeroud behind the neck movements and smith
machine exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that
isn't accurate.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob Garrison wrote:
>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
>>>improper form):
>>>
>>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
>>>

>> Improper form you say? Such as?

> Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
> pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
> relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
> small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
> (to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
> are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
> the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
> of form, such as the numeroud behind the neck movements and smith machine
> exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that isn't
> accurate.
>
> Ari

Ok so it's not "most". It's some...maybe.

Bob Garrison wrote:

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Al wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
>>>Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Al

>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
>>improper form):
>>
>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
>>

> Improper form you say? Such as?

Accordion full squats, blech.

"T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Bob Garrison wrote:
>
>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
>>>improper form):
>>>
>>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
>>>

>> Improper form you say? Such as?

> Accordion full squats, blech.

You are referring to this?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

Hobbes wrote:

>>>You are referring to this?
>>>www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

>>Yep.
>>
>>Read this:
>>www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

> So...
>
> Exactly what do you refer to as a 365 ATTG squat if it is not a full
> squat?

Well, it is a full squat, ass to grass, but I sit between my legs, not on top of
them. Like this:

www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=PH-ICTR

In article <[email protected]>,
T <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hobbes wrote:

> >>Yep.
> >>
> >>Read this:
> >>www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

> > So...
> >
> > Exactly what do you refer to as a 365 ATTG squat if it is not a full
> > squat?
> >

> Well, it is a full squat, ass to grass, but I sit between my legs, not on top
> of
> them. Like this:
>
> www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=PH-ICTR

Ahh...

I thought you were talking about the depth thing. So basically you
follow DJ's excellent advice to keep the shins back and drop between the
legs.

Gotcha.

--
Keith

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:35:27 -0400, "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>"Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
>>> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Al

>>May I ask why?

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to find ways to add some
variation to my very standard-style workouts.

Al

spodosaurus wrote:
> Bob Garrison wrote:
>> spodosaurus wrote

>>> There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
>>> improper form):
>>>
>>> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

>> Improper form you say? Such as?

> Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
> pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
> relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
> small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
> (to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
> are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
> the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
> of form, such as the numeroud behins the neck movements and smith
> machine exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that
> isn't accurate.
> Ari

"A lot" or "several" is fair imo.