Unusual weight exercises?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Al, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

    Thanks

    Al

    Tags:

  2. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Al wrote:
    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Al

    There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    improper form):

    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

    Is that what you mean, or are you talking about oddball/old time lifts?

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  3. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Al) wrote:

    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

    I'm offering up the Farmer Burns courses. Several of the lessons have
    some different dumbbell exercises.

    I kinda laughed when I saw this. Matt Furey is marketing the Farmer
    Burns courses and here are the originals from 1912 scanned and offered
    for free on the net.

    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Burns/burnsindex.htm

    --
    Keith

  4. T

    T Guest

    Al wrote:

    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Al

    http://www.usawa.com/rules.html

  5. "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

    No, but I'll mention a few. One-legged squats and one-legged deadlifts.
    Rollouts with an ab wheel. Barbell bent and side presses. The "full
    contact twist" from Pavel's ab book. All great stuff. Pullup
    variations - hold a dumbbell between your feet, use fewer than 10
    fingers, etc.

    Hey, deadlifts are "less-common" at most gyms - just deadlift!

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  6. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Al wrote:
    >> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    >> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Al

    > There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    > improper form):
    >
    > http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

    Improper form you say? Such as?

  7. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Al

    May I ask why?

  8. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bob Garrison wrote:
    > "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Al wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    >>>Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Al

    >>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    >>improper form):
    >>
    >>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    >>

    > Improper form you say? Such as?

    Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
    pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
    relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
    small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
    (to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
    are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
    the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
    of form, such as the numeroud behind the neck movements and smith
    machine exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that
    isn't accurate.

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  9. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Garrison wrote:
    >> "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    >>>improper form):
    >>>
    >>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    >>>

    >> Improper form you say? Such as?

    > Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
    > pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
    > relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
    > small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
    > (to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
    > are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
    > the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
    > of form, such as the numeroud behind the neck movements and smith machine
    > exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that isn't
    > accurate.
    >
    > Ari

    Ok so it's not "most". It's some...maybe.

  10. T

    T Guest

    Bob Garrison wrote:

    > "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Al wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    >>>Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Al

    >>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    >>improper form):
    >>
    >>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    >>

    > Improper form you say? Such as?

    Accordion full squats, blech.

  11. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > Bob Garrison wrote:
    >
    >> "spodosaurus" <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    >>>improper form):
    >>>
    >>>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    >>>

    >> Improper form you say? Such as?

    > Accordion full squats, blech.

    You are referring to this?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

  12. T

    T Guest

  13. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

  14. T

    T Guest

    Hobbes wrote:

    >>>You are referring to this?
    >>>www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

    >>Yep.
    >>
    >>Read this:
    >>www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

    > So...
    >
    > Exactly what do you refer to as a 365 ATTG squat if it is not a full
    > squat?

    Well, it is a full squat, ass to grass, but I sit between my legs, not on top of
    them. Like this:

    www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=PH-ICTR

  15. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    T <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hobbes wrote:

    > >>Yep.
    > >>
    > >>Read this:
    > >>www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

    > > So...
    > >
    > > Exactly what do you refer to as a 365 ATTG squat if it is not a full
    > > squat?
    > >

    > Well, it is a full squat, ass to grass, but I sit between my legs, not on top
    > of
    > them. Like this:
    >
    > www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=PH-ICTR

    Ahh...

    I thought you were talking about the depth thing. So basically you
    follow DJ's excellent advice to keep the shins back and drop between the
    legs.

    Gotcha.

    --
    Keith

  16. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:35:27 -0400, "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>"Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    >>> Can anyone point me to a website with such content?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >>May I ask why?

    Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to find ways to add some
    variation to my very standard-style workouts.

    Al

  17. Al wrote:

    > I'm looking for some less-common exercises one can at the gym.
    > Can anyone point me to a website with such content?

    Plenty here:
    http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/

  18. spodosaurus wrote:
    > Bob Garrison wrote:
    >> spodosaurus wrote

    >>> There're a lot of different exercises depicted here (most shown with
    >>> improper form):
    >>>
    >>> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

    >> Improper form you say? Such as?

    > Pick one! All the dipping movements are done far too low, the
    > pulldown/pullup movements look like a ballistic drop on the negative and
    > relaxing the shoulders to throw the stress onto the joint and supporting
    > small muscles (this is different than getting a full ROM), upright rows
    > (to be avoided altogether IMO) are shown pulling way too high, and these
    > are not the only ones. In addition a newbie should be careful of some of
    > the rather harmful exercises depicted there which aren't safe regardless
    > of form, such as the numeroud behins the neck movements and smith
    > machine exercises. I really shouldn't have said "most", though, that
    > isn't accurate.
    > Ari

    "A lot" or "several" is fair imo.