unwanted stems - any interest?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Velvet, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    As the subject says - I have three stems, all of which have been on my bike for varying
    lengths of time.

    One is a black ITM '7'-shaped 22.2mm quill stem, front-loading. On bike from new, done less than 100
    miles, never been in rain. Possibly missing little plug for hole where the adjustment is.

    Next is an adjustable-angle stem, been on the bike for very very few miles, having discovered it was
    too high for existing cable slack and clamped on rear brake on sharp turns ;-) Chromed finish,
    22.2mm quill, adjusts between -10 deg (points slightly to ground) and +60 deg rake (pointing up in
    air) with 0 deg being a right angle, iirc. 'Pro' zoom seems to be the make. Front loading. Also
    never been in rain.

    And last, a second?hand quill to ahead adapter stem. 22.2mm quill base, with a shim to convert to
    what I *think* is the larger of the ahead sizes (not the 25.4, which is what the bare ahead part of
    it seems to be). It's a little rusty around the part that the shim fits over, and requires a long
    allen-key bit on a wrench to fit (the bolt is recessed quite deep inside the stem).

    Can provide more details if needed, or a pic. Given the first two are as new, looking for something
    not too far off retail for them, but the third probably not more than a few quid (plus postage for
    all of them, naturally).

    Velvet
     
    Tags:


  2. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Velvet wrote:
    > As the subject says - I have three stems, all of which have been on my bike for varying lengths
    > of time.
    >
    > One is a black ITM '7'-shaped 22.2mm quill stem, front-loading. On bike from new, done less than
    > 100 miles, never been in rain. Possibly missing little plug for hole where the adjustment is.
    >
    > Next is an adjustable-angle stem, been on the bike for very very few miles, having discovered it
    > was too high for existing cable slack and clamped on rear brake on sharp turns ;-) Chromed finish,
    > 22.2mm quill, adjusts between -10 deg (points slightly to ground) and +60 deg rake (pointing up in
    > air) with 0 deg being a right angle, iirc. 'Pro' zoom seems to be the make. Front loading. Also
    > never been in rain.
    >
    > And last, a second?hand quill to ahead adapter stem. 22.2mm quill base, with a shim to convert to
    > what I *think* is the larger of the ahead sizes (not the 25.4, which is what the bare ahead part
    > of it seems to be). It's a little rusty around the part that the shim fits over, and requires a
    > long allen-key bit on a wrench to fit (the bolt is recessed quite deep inside the stem).
    >
    > Can provide more details if needed, or a pic. Given the first two are as new, looking for
    > something not too far off retail for them, but the third probably not more than a few quid (plus
    > postage for all of them, naturally).
    >
    > Velvet
    >

    How long is the ITM quill?

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------
     
  3. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:

    > Velvet wrote:
    >
    >> As the subject says - I have three stems, all of which have been on my bike for varying lengths
    >> of time.
    >>
    >> One is a black ITM '7'-shaped 22.2mm quill stem, front-loading. On bike from new, done less than
    >> 100 miles, never been in rain. Possibly missing little plug for hole where the adjustment is.
    >>
    >> Next is an adjustable-angle stem, been on the bike for very very few miles, having discovered it
    >> was too high for existing cable slack and clamped on rear brake on sharp turns ;-) Chromed
    >> finish, 22.2mm quill, adjusts between -10 deg (points slightly to ground) and +60 deg rake
    >> (pointing up in air) with 0 deg being a right angle, iirc. 'Pro' zoom seems to be the make. Front
    >> loading. Also never been in rain.
    >>
    >> And last, a second?hand quill to ahead adapter stem. 22.2mm quill base, with a shim to convert to
    >> what I *think* is the larger of the ahead sizes (not the 25.4, which is what the bare ahead part
    >> of it seems to be). It's a little rusty around the part that the shim fits over, and requires a
    >> long allen-key bit on a wrench to fit (the bolt is recessed quite deep inside the stem).
    >>
    >> Can provide more details if needed, or a pic. Given the first two are as new, looking for
    >> something not too far off retail for them, but the third probably not more than a few quid (plus
    >> postage for all of them, naturally).
    >>
    >> Velvet
    >>
    >
    > How long is the ITM quill?
    >

    Not quite sure how to measure, but it's 85mm from min insertion line to top of stem, then 100mm from
    back of stem to middle of clamp round bars? If measured from middle of adjusting bolt hole in top of
    stem to middle of clamp around bars, 90mm. Like I said, it's a 7 shape, so has that slant to the
    stem that puts the other bit on roughly horizontal - couldn't tell you if it's actually a slight
    downhill angle as it's not been on the bike for quite a while.

    Having said it's an ITM - I think that's what the Dawes website says - there's no really much in the
    way of manufacturer ID on the stem itself. Came off Dawes Audax bike, bought in autumn 2001, iirc.

    Velvet
     
  4. Velvet <[email protected]> wrote
    > Not quite sure how to measure, but it's 85mm from min insertion line to top of stem, then 100mm
    > from back of stem to middle of clamp round bars? If measured from middle of adjusting bolt hole in
    > top of stem to middle of clamp around bars, 90mm. Like I said, it's a 7 shape, so has that slant
    > to the stem that puts the other bit on roughly horizontal - couldn't tell you if it's actually a
    > slight downhill angle as it's not been on the bike for quite a while.
    >

    It's a 90mm stem.

    The height range (min insertion line to bottom of horizontal bit) is very rarely quoted, unless
    that's the point of that model of stem (ie more than 2 or 3 inches).

    Andrew
     
  5. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote:
    > Velvet <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>Not quite sure how to measure, but it's 85mm from min insertion line to top of stem, then 100mm
    >>from back of stem to middle of clamp round bars? If measured from middle of adjusting bolt hole in
    >>top of stem to middle of clamp around bars, 90mm. Like I said, it's a 7 shape, so has that slant
    >>to the stem that puts the other bit on roughly horizontal - couldn't tell you if it's actually a
    >>slight downhill angle as it's not been on the bike for quite a while.
    >>
    >
    >
    > It's a 90mm stem.
    >
    > The height range (min insertion line to bottom of horizontal bit) is very rarely quoted, unless
    > that's the point of that model of stem (ie more than 2 or 3 inches).
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    >

    Yeah, but for someone looking for a stem to be shorter/taller than the 'norm' it's a very important
    (and always lacking) measurement, IME.

    Velvet
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...