Unwanted Xmas present

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Mason

What's the story regarding these ads? In tonight's local rag, there's an ad for a Giant racer, cost
700 quid new, yours for 250. It is supposedly an unwanted present. What is going on when somebody
buys a present costing this much on the off chance that the bloke wanted it for Xmas in the first
place? How do they feel a month later when they're flogging it for less than half what they paid? Is
"unwanted present" a euphemism for nicked goods?

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's the story regarding these ads? In tonight's local rag, there's an
ad
> for a Giant racer, cost 700 quid new, yours for 250. It is supposedly an unwanted present. What is
> going on when somebody buys a present costing this much on the off chance that the bloke wanted it
> for Xmas in the first place? How do they feel a month later when they're flogging it for less than
> half what they paid? Is "unwanted present" a euphemism for nicked goods?
>
> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
>

Came across an example of this locally where a colleague at work obtained an 800 quid Planet X MTB
for £150. The story goes that the person he bought it from had been bought it by his parents.
Following this he had 'gone to the bad' and developed a bit of a relationship with heroin. In the
quest for his next fix, whatever and however, he flogged the bike to my colleague. I questioned him
about it, being concerned about the 'nicked bike' trade and was assured that the story was true. Who
knows for sure ?...if it is a true story, then how sad. It is only to be hoped that the individual
concerned eventually realises how much he is losing out on for his next fix of this insiduous, evil
drug and manages to move on in his life to a healthier, more productive phase...but then, who am I
to say what is preferable ? Guess I could take the serial number of the bike to the local plod
station, just in case....and wouldn't that go down well ? Ah life.... Cheers, Dave.

In news:[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:

> by his parents. Following this he had 'gone to the bad' and developed a bit of a relationship with
> heroin. In the quest for his next fix, whatever and however, he flogged the bike to my colleague.

Seems perfectly feasible to me. I've seen former friends and acquaintances do stuff like this. A lot
of people are, sadly, becoming introduced to very chaotic patterns of drug abuse via the club / rave
/ party networks - one reason why I gave up my involvement in this scene and decided to devote my
spare time and energy more to cycling!

Then again some of the *racers* are worse than the *ravers* :)

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.