up handle bars to drop handbar

cchs said:
I have a trk 7500 bike (see it here http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/citybike/7500.jsp )

I would like to change it to a touring bike as best a s possible. I was thinking of just adding drop handbars and some aerobars. is that possible will it work?

thanks
I'd be careful, the top tube on flat handlebar bikes tend to be shorter than on drop handlebar bikes. At the *very* least you'd want to put on a longer stem as well.

Go out to a bike store, find a drop bar bike that is comfortable. Be sure to get a brochure that lists all the spec.s for the bike, find out what the top tube length is, go from there.

You would need to change over your brake and shifter set if you put drops on your bike,

cchs said:
I have a trk 7500 bike (see it here http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/citybike/7500.jsp )

I would like to change it to a touring bike as best a s possible. I was thinking of just adding drop handbars and some aerobars. is that possible will it work?

thanks
You will need
1. Drop bars
2. New stem, possibly longer but definitely new (road handlebars are wider than flat bar stems)
3. Shifters
4. Brake levers

If you choose integrated shift/brake levers you will need to buy a set of cantilever brakes. To stick with your V-brakes you will need a set of Dia-compe 287v levers.
Setting up shifters will be an utter pig, as the front mech cable runs along the top tube and road shifters are designed to work with an adjuster barrel which mounts on the downtube. You might be able to get one of these by cannibalising an old pair of band on downtube shifters, but with an ali frame you might find the band isn't wide enough.

In short, you're looking at a lot of work when you would be better off getting a road bike.

I'm selling the frame of a Dawes Galaxy at the moment - classic british Reynolds531ST tourer, could run rings round the average hybrid, more looking for a good home for it than a pile of cash. I'm in the UK, though, so don't know if it would do for you.

Cheaper still - have you thought of just fitting a pair of barends? Lots of extra hand positions, for nothing compared to what you'd spend on a road bar conversion.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

I ride a flat bar and wouldn't think about ever riding without bar ends...that is a great suggestion, but the geometry of this flat bar hybrid is all wrong I fear for drops. That is what all those engineers are paid all the cash for...lemme play the devils advocate and say:

BUY ANOTHER BIKE!!!

I'm to the point where I have justified an around towner, an MTB, a flat-bar road bike, a parade bike (my trike is a thing of beauty that weighs as much as a beast), and I'm working on a drop-bar right now for the trainer (ten speeds ought to make me tougher - it's an old one though). Anyway, most of these get the same use (except the trike- Damn Sturmey Archer hub is too much hassle) and are all perfect for different situations. If you convert the Hybrid...I bet you miss it for grocery runs and the like
Cheers