Update 1989 Dura-Ace Groupo with STI?

ViperZ

Jul 25, 2003
Hello, I have a 1989 Trek 5000 with a Dura-Ace Groupo. It was a pre STI (down tube shifters) with a 8 speed cassette. I would like to convert it to a STI system, however given the time I have been away from cycling, don't know the best strategy.

It seems Dura-Ace STI shifter/ Brake levers from this era are very expensive, or harder to find, should I look for an Ultegra STI instead?

What about the new 9 speed Dura-Ace levers, could those be used?

Can I upgrade my 8 speed hub to a 9 or 10 speed system? Whats required?

Thanks for any help at all :)

ViperZ said:
Hello, I have a 1989 Trek 5000 with a Dura-Ace Groupo. It was a pre STI (down tube shifters) with a 8 speed cassette. I would like to convert it to a STI system, however given the time I have been away from cycling, don't know the best strategy.

It seems Dura-Ace STI shifter/ Brake levers from this era are very expensive, or harder to find, should I look for an Ultegra STI instead?

What about the new 9 speed Dura-Ace levers, could those be used?

Can I upgrade my 8 speed hub to a 9 or 10 speed system? Whats required?

Thanks for any help at all :)
You can only use an 8 speed DA shifter with your RD. Better bet is 9 or 10 speed assuming your rear hub/cassette is hyperglide and not uniglide.

Thanks, How can I tell if it Hyper or Uni-Glide? Whats the difference?

Also what is a DA Shifter?

Sorry for being such a newbie, but I have been away from the scene for some time....

ViperZ said:
Thanks, How can I tell if it Hyper or Uni-Glide? Whats the difference?

Also what is a DA Shifter?

Sorry for being such a newbie, but I have been away from the scene for some time....
DA = Dura Ace. Check Cheldon Browns Bike glossary at www.harriscyclery.com

Ah, right, I remember now.... It is a Uni-Glide as my cogs do not have the Hyper-Glide ramps.

So does that mean I can not swap my rear cassette to a Hyper-Glide 9-10 speed unit? It would seem I should be able to as if I remember correctly I can upgrade my UG to a HG assembly.

Thanks for the link, I'll poke around there and see what I can learn

From Harris Cyclery

All Dura-Ace 6- & 7-speed cassettes are Uniglide style. 8-speed Unglide cassettes and hubs were made only for the 1989 model year, so they are quite uncommon.

Just happens mine is a 1989 DA :(

ViperZ said:
From Harris Cyclery

Just happens mine is a 1989 DA :(
If you want to stay with DURA ACE it depends on your budget and the condition of your rear wheel as to what the best things to do are.
You can still get the 7403 Freehub and swap it on with the special tool... if your wheel is in great shape it may be worth it.
You can also get a new hub and replace (relace it) into your exisiting wheel... if the spokes and rim are good, but the hub is questionable.
Bar end shifters give you on the handlebar control with non-STI costs and relatively easy conversion.

The Hubs, Rims, spokes and running gear are in excellent shape. It seems after reading the Harris pages the use of the 7403 free hub will allow me to upgrade to a full 10 speed cluster. I may need to re-route the cable pull direction into the derailer to increase cable travel.

So basically the required axle spacing has not changed since 7-8 speed Dura-Ace days :)

How much better ar the newer STI levers over the Pre 1996 era? I know that the new ones are lighter.