Update (and advice needed)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Erika, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Erika

    Erika Guest

    Hello everyone

    As some of you know I was diagnosed with diabetes typ 2 in oktober when I was 9 weeks pregnant.
    No insuline of any sort just change of diet. I had 1 hb1ac done and that was 5.7 In week 18 I
    lost the baby.

    After that my diabetes nurse wrote me a letter saying I could cojntact them again when I plan to get
    pregnant again. Until then I am left to my own devices.

    I have not changed my habits much (maybe a few more snacks on special occations) and today I felt I
    was strong enough to start testing again. It appears that the test strips (for my accuchek) now
    meassures plasma glucose instead and I am not sure what difference that makes. Anyone?

    ANYWAY, my readings today:

    fasting: 5.9 mmol 1,5 h after eating two slices of rye bread with mozzarella and sliced ham and
    tomatoes and a cup of tea with milk in it: 6.4 mmol

    before dinner: 4.7 mmol after dinner (pork casserole and boiled potatoes, salad) 6.5

    Anyone have any advice on what to do? I am clearly not going to change my eating habits. I like this
    more healthy diet, but should I go have a hb1c done, should I get in touch with my diabetes nurse or
    what do you experienced people think?

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

    http://w1.589.telia.com/~u58905375/ <- My Home

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:55:44 GMT, Erika <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello everyone
    >
    >As some of you know I was diagnosed with diabetes typ 2 in oktober when I was 9 weeks pregnant. No
    >insuline of any sort just change of diet. I had 1 hb1ac done and that was 5.7 In week 18 I lost
    >the baby.
    >
    >After that my diabetes nurse wrote me a letter saying I could cojntact them again when I plan to
    >get pregnant again. Until then I am left to my own devices.
    >
    >I have not changed my habits much (maybe a few more snacks on special occations) and today I felt I
    >was strong enough to start testing again. It appears that the test strips (for my accuchek) now
    >meassures plasma glucose instead and I am not sure what difference that makes. Anyone?
    >
    >ANYWAY, my readings today:
    >
    >fasting: 5.9 mmol 1,5 h after eating two slices of rye bread with mozzarella and sliced ham and
    >tomatoes and a cup of tea with milk in it: 6.4 mmol
    >
    >before dinner: 4.7 mmol after dinner (pork casserole and boiled potatoes, salad) 6.5
    >
    >Anyone have any advice on what to do? I am clearly not going to change my eating habits. I like
    >this more healthy diet, but should I go have a hb1c done, should I get in touch with my diabetes
    >nurse or what do you experienced people think?
    >

    >/Erika
    >
    >The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    >to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.
    >
    >http://w1.589.telia.com/~u58905375/ <- My Home

    Hi Erika

    Pleas accept my sympathy for your loss. Possibly no male can truly understand how you must feel, but
    I do hope you are getting lots of support from your family and friends.

    On diabetes, this is just my opinion. On the short time I've been on this ng I've noticed a number
    of T2 ladies who mention that some years prior to diagnosis they had GD. Your post-prandial numbers
    are possibly at the high edge for a non-diabetic, but boiled potatoes would have me much higher,
    depending on portion size.

    I would get regular (say, quarterly, extending to six-monthly if they are OK) HbA1c checks; and
    maybe test sporadically if you are worried. If the numbers start heading in the wrong direction, see
    your doc straight away. In fact, if you are in any doubt at all go back and quiz your doctor.

    And of course, keep eating healthy; it sure can't hurt.

    All the best for your future.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Australia. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.9, wt 117kg=>90kg, No diabetes meds.Diet and
    not enough exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers
    carefully, because experience can be an expensive teacher.

  3. Micki Webber

    Micki Webber Guest

    Ericka, Am so sorry to hear you lost your babe, it takes a toll on you, both phyicially and
    emotionally. I am praying that you have a great supportive family and friends. Keep up with the diet
    routine, and the healthier habits that you used with your pregnacy....they will help you in more
    ways than you know. Bless you.....Mic

    Always, be, and stay AWARE!

  4. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Erika" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hello everyone
    >
    > As some of you know I was diagnosed with diabetes typ 2 in oktober when I was 9 weeks pregnant. No
    > insuline of any sort just change of diet. I had 1 hb1ac done and that was 5.7 In week 18 I lost
    > the baby.
    >
    > After that my diabetes nurse wrote me a letter saying I could cojntact them again when I plan to
    > get pregnant again. Until then I am left to my own devices.
    >
    > I have not changed my habits much (maybe a few more snacks on special occations) and today I felt
    > I was strong enough to start testing again. It appears that the test strips (for my accuchek) now
    > meassures plasma glucose instead and I am not sure what difference that makes. Anyone?
    >
    > ANYWAY, my readings today:
    >
    > fasting: 5.9 mmol 1,5 h after eating two slices of rye bread with mozzarella and sliced ham and
    > tomatoes and a cup of tea with milk in it: 6.4 mmol
    >
    > before dinner: 4.7 mmol after dinner (pork casserole and boiled potatoes, salad) 6.5
    >
    > Anyone have any advice on what to do?

    Yeah, nothing. Those numbers are about as normal as a normal person could wish for apart from a VERY
    slight "above the norm" reading after dinner, but it IS only slight.

    > I am clearly not going to change my eating habits. I like this more healthy diet, but should I go
    > have a hb1c done,

    After having had what seems to be gestational diabetes, I think it's be in your best interests to
    keep an eye on things, so yes, thee A1c would be a great idea.

    should I get in touch
    > with my diabetes nurse or what do you experienced people think?

    If you do, she'll probably tell you you're being anal (or some such) so if I were you, I keep doing
    the occasional BG test (not 4 or 5 times a day) and get your A12c checked every 3 months.

    I'm VERY sorry to hear about your loss too, and although *I* don't know how it must feel, my son
    and daughter in law do as they lost their first baby and were devastated. The d-i-l is pregnant
    again now.

    Beav