Update of "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles without Braze-Ons"Web Site

SMS

Guest
I was amused to see my old web site on adding water bottles to frames
without braze-ons, being discussed in the Brompton Yahoo Group, with a
statement that there were some products left out (it was last updated in
2002).

So I've updated the site as of today, thinking that five years has been
long enough!

It's at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/".

Hopefully others will find this information helpful as well.

If I've missed any products then please let me know and I will add them
to the site.

Steve

On Oct 26, 1:14 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was amused to see my old web site on adding water bottles to frames
> without braze-ons, being discussed in the Brompton Yahoo Group, with a
> statement that there were some products left out (it was last updated in
> 2002).
>
> So I've updated the site as of today, thinking that five years has been
> long enough!
>
> It's at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/".
>
> Hopefully others will find this information helpful as well.
>
> If I've missed any products then please let me know and I will add them
> to the site.

Sorry, but not enough T&A to hold my interest like the racks page. You
need to add some hotties thirstily sucking on water bottles and
letting the pwraide run down their cleavage and stuff.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was amused to see my old web site on adding water bottles to frames
>without braze-ons, being discussed in the Brompton Yahoo Group, with a
>statement that there were some products left out (it was last updated in
>2002).
>
> So I've updated the site as of today, thinking that five years has been
> long enough!
>
> It's at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/".
>
> Hopefully others will find this information helpful as well.
>
> If I've missed any products then please let me know and I will add them to
> the site.
>
> Steve

Steve: I was looking over your (excellent) coffee-carrying pages again, and,
unfortunately, what's lacking is beginning to become painfully obvious. Very
few people visit Starbucks or Peets or whatever with their own mug. There's
a certain bizarre appeal to having your coffee in that silly,
brand-identifiable paper cup. I do not understand why this is; perhaps much
of it is simply convenience (not having something to clean). Whatever the
case, someone should make a politically-incorrect coffee cup holder that
works with a standard paper coffee cup. Yuck, but better than not having it
at all, if it would encourage people to ride down the street to the closest
Starbucks or whatever rather than drive.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Oct 26, 11:30 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >I was amused to see my old web site on adding water bottles to frames
> >without braze-ons, being discussed in the Brompton Yahoo Group, with a
> >statement that there were some products left out (it was last updated in
> >2002).

> > So I've updated the site as of today, thinking that five years has been
> > long enough!

> > It's at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/".

> > Hopefully others will find this information helpful as well.

> > If I've missed any products then please let me know and I will add them to
> > the site.

> > Steve

> Steve: I was looking over your (excellent) coffee-carrying pages again, and,
> unfortunately, what's lacking is beginning to become painfully obvious. Very
> few people visit Starbucks or Peets or whatever with their own mug. There's
> a certain bizarre appeal to having your coffee in that silly,
> brand-identifiable paper cup. I do not understand why this is; perhaps much
> of it is simply convenience (not having something to clean). Whatever the
> case, someone should make a politically-incorrect coffee cup holder that
> works with a standard paper coffee cup. Yuck, but better than not having it
> at all, if it would encourage people to ride down the street to the closest
> Starbucks or whatever rather than drive.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

http://www.jbeezwatercraft.com/store/images/11672.jpg

Gimbal mount solves many problems!

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Steve: I was looking over your (excellent) coffee-carrying pages again, and,
> unfortunately, what's lacking is beginning to become painfully obvious. Very
> few people visit Starbucks or Peets or whatever with their own mug. There's
> a certain bizarre appeal to having your coffee in that silly,
> brand-identifiable paper cup. I do not understand why this is; perhaps much
> of it is simply convenience (not having something to clean). Whatever the
> case, someone should make a politically-incorrect coffee cup holder that
> works with a standard paper coffee cup. Yuck, but better than not having it
> at all, if it would encourage people to ride down the street to the closest
> Starbucks or whatever rather than drive.

But there are some on the site.
"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AO7EQ4/sanfrancisc0b-20"
"http://store.nycewheels.com/bottle-holder-bar-mount.html"

The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee is
ejected out the sipping hole.

Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a
Starbucks essentially in the same shopping center (though the Starbucks
is actually in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also good, though
they don't have Lollapaloozas.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
> But there are some on the site.
> "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AO7EQ4/sanfrancisc0b-20"
> "http://store.nycewheels.com/bottle-holder-bar-mount.html"
> The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee is
> ejected out the sipping hole.
> Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a
> Starbucks essentially in the same shopping center (though the Starbucks
> is actually in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also good, though
> they don't have Lollapaloozas.

Coffee shops are not 'like flies' They are like locusts:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=map&hl=en&q=Coffee&near=53703&ie=UTF8&start=0&z=14&om=1
197 within a mile, over a dozen within two blocks of here.
As Sky Yaeger says, "Beans from a 3d world country with tap water-
that'll be two bucks please"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

> The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee is
> ejected out the sipping hole.

Possible solution would be a second cap, placed on top of the first one
(with the hole in a different location).

> Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a Starbucks
> essentially in the same shopping center (though the Starbucks is actually
> in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also good, though they don't
> have Lollapaloozas.

I prefer Peet's, but have you been to that particular one? If you're into
the totally bucolic experience, it's great. You walk in and hear baroque
music playing, which should tip you off.... the service is incredibly slow.
And it's COFFEE you're there for. You know, that stuff with CAFFEINE in it.
Not a glass of warm, soothing milk.

There can be just two people in line in front of you, and you're talking 10
minutes. Starbucks? Maybe 3, tops. So after awhile you get to thinking the
taste of slightly-burned coffee isn't so bad after all.

Is this typical of Peet's in general, or is it just that location in
particular? I've been to other Peet's that seem faster, but nothing is as
fast as the typical Starbucks. And, as I said, it's coffee you're after, so
"speed" doesn't seem inappropriate.

I'll check out those other coffee-carrying options. Thanks!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee is
>> ejected out the sipping hole.

> Possible solution would be a second cap, placed on top of the first one
> (with the hole in a different location).
>
>> Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a Starbucks
>> essentially in the same shopping center (though the Starbucks is actually
>> in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also good, though they don't
>> have Lollapaloozas.

> I prefer Peet's, but have you been to that particular one? If you're into
> the totally bucolic experience, it's great. You walk in and hear baroque
> music playing, which should tip you off.... the service is incredibly slow.
> And it's COFFEE you're there for. You know, that stuff with CAFFEINE in it.
> Not a glass of warm, soothing milk.
>
> There can be just two people in line in front of you, and you're talking 10
> minutes. Starbucks? Maybe 3, tops. So after awhile you get to thinking the
> taste of slightly-burned coffee isn't so bad after all.
>
> Is this typical of Peet's in general, or is it just that location in
> particular? I've been to other Peet's that seem faster, but nothing is as
> fast as the typical Starbucks. And, as I said, it's coffee you're after, so
> "speed" doesn't seem inappropriate.

Ususally I brew my own, but I go to Peet's occasionally in Cupertino and
they don't seem any different than Starbucks in terms of speed of service.

I usually go the Coffee Society at the Library in Cupertino as it's a
three minute walk or one minute bicycle ride.

A Muzi wrote:
>> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>> Steve: I was looking over your (excellent) coffee-carrying pages
>>> again, and, unfortunately, what's lacking is beginning to become
>>> painfully obvious. Very few people visit Starbucks or Peets or
>>> whatever with their own mug. There's a certain bizarre appeal to
>>> having your coffee in that silly, brand-identifiable paper cup. I do
>>> not understand why this is; perhaps much of it is simply convenience
>>> (not having something to clean). Whatever the case, someone should
>>> make a politically-incorrect coffee cup holder that works with a
>>> standard paper coffee cup. Yuck, but better than not having it at
>>> all, if it would encourage people to ride down the street to the
>>> closest Starbucks or whatever rather than drive.

> SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
>> But there are some on the site.
>> "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AO7EQ4/sanfrancisc0b-20"
>> "http://store.nycewheels.com/bottle-holder-bar-mount.html"
>> The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee
>> is ejected out the sipping hole.
>> Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a
>> Starbucks essentially in the same shopping center (though the
>> Starbucks is actually in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also
>> good, though they don't have Lollapaloozas.

> Coffee shops are not 'like flies' They are like locusts:
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=map&hl=en&q=Coffee&near=53703&ie=UTF8&start=0&z=14&om=1
>
> 197 within a mile, over a dozen within two blocks of here.
> As Sky Yaeger says, "Beans from a 3d world country with tap water-
> that'll be two bucks please"

Yes, that's why I only go to those places on occasions when I'm away
from home and need a fix. I can brew a carafe of much better coffee for
about 1/15th the price of a single cup at Starbucks.

On Oct 26, 12:14 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was amused to see my old web site on adding water bottles to frames
> without braze-ons, being discussed in the Brompton Yahoo Group, with a
> statement that there were some products left out (it was last updated in
> 2002).
>
> So I've updated the site as of today, thinking that five years has been
> long enough!
>
> It's at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/".
>
> Hopefully others will find this information helpful as well.
>
> If I've missed any products then please let me know and I will add them
> to the site.
>
> Steve

There used to be a bottle cage that was one piece that had extended
rails that fit over the stem and under the bars, and sat there. The
were held in place with a tiny screwy thingy. Are they still made? I
think that blackburn made them 20 yrs ago.

Andres

[email protected] wrote:
> There used to be a bottle cage that was one piece that had extended
> rails that fit over the stem and under the bars, and sat there. The
> were held in place with a tiny screwy thingy. Are they still made? I
> think that blackburn made them 20 yrs ago.

disappeared when they closed the USA operations long ago.
--

On Oct 26, 4:03 pm, SMS · <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:

> > SMS · wrote:
> >> But there are some on the site.
> >> "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AO7EQ4/sanfrancisc0b-20"
> >> "http://store.nycewheels.com/bottle-holder-bar-mount.html"
> >> The problem is that on a regular cup, when you go over bumps, coffee
> >> is ejected out the sipping hole.
> >> Isn't it great that your Los Altos shop has both a Peet's and a
> >> Starbucks essentially in the same shopping center (though the
> >> Starbucks is actually in Cupertino). Having Carvel next door is also
> >> good, though they don't have Lollapaloozas.

> > Coffee shops are not 'like flies' They are like locusts:
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=map&hl=en&q=Coffee&near=53703&ie...

> > 197 within a mile, over a dozen within two blocks of here.
> > As Sky Yaeger says, "Beans from a 3d world country with tap water-
> > that'll be two bucks please"

> Yes, that's why I only go to those places on occasions when I'm away
> from home and need a fix. I can brew a carafe of much better coffee for
> about 1/15th the price of a single cup at Starbucks.

But the $tarbucks stuff, taken black, is a superior chain cleaning
solvent. ;-)

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:21:25 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

>But the $tarbucks stuff, taken black, is a superior chain cleaning
>solvent. ;-)

Careful, I'd wager it eats through steel.

On Oct 27, 9:14 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:21:25 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >But the $tarbucks stuff, taken black, is a superior chain cleaning
> >solvent. ;-)

> Careful, I'd wager it eats through steel.

Oh, *that's* why those chains don't last long!