Update of Luc Viau accident of February 25, 2003

Peter M Spirito

Guest
I am posting this as it was written by Frank Bostwick, in the April 2003 newsletter of the West Palm
Beach Bicycle Club, West Palm Beach Florida. Luc Viau, 42, is recovering from multiple injuries
after being run over by a waste management garbage truck on tuesday, February 25 at
5:15 pm at the corner of Lantana Road and Congress Avenue. Luc, as most of our club's serious road
riders know, is among the more dedicated long-distance cyclists among us. His total distance in
2002 totaled 35,505 miles. His injuries include broken bones in both legs, a crushed left foot,
two damaged vertebrae, broken bones in his left shoulder and extensive road rash on his torso,
armes and legs, He was dragged 174 feet while passing under the front bumper and out the rear end
of the truck. Concious during the entire ordeal, Luc tucked into a tight curl to avoid the rear
axle as he was tumbling along. "Fortunately, several medical personnel from JFK hospital going
home from the day shift rushed over to help me," Luc exsplained. "The Trauma Hawk (helicopter)
took me to Delray Medical Medical Center. No surgery so far, but they're still picking gravel out
of my legs." (March 7.) Luc stated that he was as far right as he could be alongside the truck at
the intersection heading east on Lantana Road. When the light turned green, he started to cross
the intersection when the truck swerved into him, its right front bumper trapping him. Both Luc
and sereral motorists yelled at the truck driver to stop, but he apparently didn't know both
bicycle and rider were under the truck as he turned south on Congress from Lanata Road. Luc
does'nt recall seeing the garbage truck's right turn signal indicating his intention to turn, but
he does remember shouting to the driver, "You've hit me!" as he struggled to get out of his toe
clips. However, amidst his initial agony of being held immobile by the medics after he emerged
from under the rear end of the truck, Luc does recall the truck driver leaning over him, yelling.
"Why did you cut me off?" This article is longer but I am running out of space. Luc is at the
Edward Healy rehab Center room 107a, 561-842-6111. For additionaly background on Luc search <Luc
Viau> at this web site. Its worth the quick search for the reading.

Poor man is lucky to be alive. Trucks turning right are the number one killers here AFAIK. What was
he doing on the side of it though? For someone who bikes that much it seems a bit unwise. Either go
ahead of the cab and make eyecontact with the driver or stay behind it and let him turn first or go
around on his left. Don't go along the cab where they have a blind spot despite mirrors.

Did you have an adress of the website?

Hope he recovers fast.

M.

> Did you have an adress of the website?

Just search this web site using his name as the search question. or page back to around February 25.

I WILL NOT ride on the Street. PERIOD. For that reason, I choose to live near an extensive
trail system.

Anybody who rides 3000-miles a month is going to hit the Accident Lottery sooner or later and likely
multiple times.

out there piloting 1.5-ton road icbms.

No way.

mc