Update on my Dad (OT)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    He told me this morning the two chemo-like treatments he's had are not the
    end of it. He has an appointment on Feb. 2 to meet with his doctor, have
    another CAT scan and they will schedule more treatments after that. He's in
    good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.

    And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    the day:

    http://tinyurl.com/b2u2e

    She, and her mother before her, collected Royal Doulton Figurines but she
    hasn't had a new one in at least 10 years. She's a wonderful woman and
    deserved something special :)

    OB Food: Mom made sausage/cream gravy and biscuits (from frozen) for their
    breakfast this morning. Sounds like a plan!

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown wrote on 29 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > He told me this morning the two chemo-like treatments he's had are not
    > the end of it. He has an appointment on Feb. 2 to meet with his
    > doctor, have another CAT scan and they will schedule more treatments
    > after that. He's in good spirits though, which is great, all things
    > considered.
    >
    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to
    > celebrate the day:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/b2u2e
    >
    > She, and her mother before her, collected Royal Doulton Figurines but
    > she hasn't had a new one in at least 10 years. She's a wonderful
    > woman and deserved something special :)
    >
    > OB Food: Mom made sausage/cream gravy and biscuits (from frozen) for
    > their breakfast this morning. Sounds like a plan!
    >
    > Jill

    Well that's good news, Happy b-day to your mom...nice figurine...

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  3. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    <snip>

    > He's in good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.

    Glad to hear it. Can't be too easy on any of you....

    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    > the day:

    Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "cathyxyz" <cathy1[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> He's in good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.

    > Glad to hear it. Can't be too easy on any of you....
    >>
    >> And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    >> the day:

    > Happy Birthday to your Mom!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    A well-deserved age! Happy Birthday to your Mom.
    My f-i-l at age 79/80 has recovered beautifully - as I've said so many
    times before -- It takes a lot of tenacity on everyone's part to help them
    thru it. We lived it and breathed it for almost 2 years. We're so glad we
    were entrenched with it. I know my f-i-l like I would've never known him.
    There's always a great deal of hope nowadays.
    Dee Dee

  5. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    > He told me this morning the two chemo-like treatments he's had are not
    > the
    > end of it. He has an appointment on Feb. 2 to meet with his doctor,
    > have
    > another CAT scan and they will schedule more treatments after that.
    > He's in
    > good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.
    >
    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to
    > celebrate
    > the day:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/b2u2e
    >
    > She, and her mother before her, collected Royal Doulton Figurines but
    > she
    > hasn't had a new one in at least 10 years. She's a wonderful woman
    > and
    > deserved something special :)
    >
    > OB Food: Mom made sausage/cream gravy and biscuits (from frozen) for
    > their
    > breakfast this morning. Sounds like a plan!

    You are a lucky lady:)) Treasure then as long as you can.. as I am sure
    you do;))

    Ophelia

  6. jmcquown wrote:
    > He told me this morning the two chemo-like treatments he's had are not the
    > end of it. He has an appointment on Feb. 2 to meet with his doctor, have
    > another CAT scan and they will schedule more treatments after that. He's in
    > good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.
    >
    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    > the day:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/b2u2e
    >
    > She, and her mother before her, collected Royal Doulton Figurines but she
    > hasn't had a new one in at least 10 years. She's a wonderful woman and
    > deserved something special :)
    >
    > OB Food: Mom made sausage/cream gravy and biscuits (from frozen) for their
    > breakfast this morning. Sounds like a plan!
    >
    > Jill

    What a beautiful gift you gave your Mother for her 80th Birthday!
    May she celebrate many more happy and healthy ones.

    I hope that you will have good news from your Father, after the next
    Cat scan. It is good news that his spirits are up.

    Marcel came unexpectedly for lunch. I had to "invent" a meal for him,
    as I had nothing much in the refrigerator, except for some sad left
    overs and made him a sandwich with Bakery Whole Wheat toast, with home
    made chicken salad, lettuce and crispy bacon. He loved it and ate
    every last bite. :eek:)

    I saw something that was strange to me. On 2nd Avenue and 77th Street,
    in an Irish restaurant, there was a Sunday Brunch written out on a
    small blackboard on the sidewalk. $10.95 for two drinks such as
    Bloody Marys or Beer or Screw Drivers and several others, plus coffee
    or tea and a choice of eggs or hamburgers and many other choices. One
    of them was "Baked Beans On Toast". Isn't that a strange sandwich or
    brunch dish?

    Love, Margaret

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Marcel came unexpectedly for lunch. I had to "invent" a meal for him, as
    > I had nothing much in the refrigerator, except for some sad left overs and
    > made him a sandwich with Bakery Whole Wheat toast, with home made chicken
    > salad, lettuce and crispy bacon. He loved it and ate every last bite.
    > :eek:)

    (laugh) Wow, if that's your idea of sad leftovers, I'd like to know
    what you usually have! Sounds great.

    > One of them was "Baked Beans On Toast". Isn't that a strange sandwich or
    > brunch dish?

    I've heard of that. I like baked beans, and I loves toast, but I see
    no reason whatsoever to serve them together. Don't let anyone
    here try to convince you it's a good idea.

    (smile) nancy

  8. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I saw something that was strange to me. On 2nd Avenue and 77th Street,
    > in an Irish restaurant, there was a Sunday Brunch written out on a
    > small blackboard on the sidewalk. $10.95 for two drinks such as
    > Bloody Marys or Beer or Screw Drivers and several others, plus coffee
    > or tea and a choice of eggs or hamburgers and many other choices. One
    > of them was "Baked Beans On Toast". Isn't that a strange sandwich or
    > brunch dish?

    Are you kidding? That's as traditional British/Irish as any dish could
    ever hope to be. It is not necessarily as plain as the name implies,
    either, for it can very well also contain some cheese, and some egg
    preparation, fried or poached. Can be rather good.

    Bubba

  9. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:09:44 -0500, Margaret Suran
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I saw something that was strange to me. On 2nd Avenue and 77th Street,
    >in an Irish restaurant, there was a Sunday Brunch written out on a
    >small blackboard on the sidewalk. $10.95 for two drinks such as
    >Bloody Marys or Beer or Screw Drivers and several others, plus coffee
    >or tea and a choice of eggs or hamburgers and many other choices. One
    >of them was "Baked Beans On Toast". Isn't that a strange sandwich or
    >brunch dish?

    It is a popular Right Pondian breakfast dish, though in Ireland, I
    thought the beans were served on the side, rather than on the toast
    directly..

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2090844.stm

    Boron

  10. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    > He's in good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.

    I'm glad to hear that, Jill.

    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    > the day:

    Nice figurine! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    > OB Food: Mom made sausage/cream gravy and biscuits (from frozen) for

    their
    > breakfast this morning. Sounds like a plan!

    LOL - I made this for dinner last night. David ate nearly all of it!

    Thanks for the update, Jill.

    Lisa Ann

  11. And it's nutrtionally sound.. In order to get the full protein value
    from pulses you apparently have to consume them with a grain. All
    cuisines seem to have dishes which combine pulses with wheat or rice.
    Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle, is
    noe of the first - and often the last - things an Australian kid learns
    to cook!

    Christine

    Victor Sack wrote:

    >Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I saw something that was strange to me. On 2nd Avenue and 77th Street,
    >>in an Irish restaurant, there was a Sunday Brunch written out on a
    >>small blackboard on the sidewalk. $10.95 for two drinks such as
    >>Bloody Marys or Beer or Screw Drivers and several others, plus coffee
    >>or tea and a choice of eggs or hamburgers and many other choices. One
    >>of them was "Baked Beans On Toast". Isn't that a strange sandwich or
    >>brunch dish?
    >>

    >Are you kidding? That's as traditional British/Irish as any dish could
    >ever hope to be. It is not necessarily as plain as the name implies,
    >either, for it can very well also contain some cheese, and some egg
    >preparation, fried or poached. Can be rather good.
    >
    >Bubba

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:53:04 +0100, Victor Sack wrote:

    > Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I saw something that was strange to me.

    <snip>
    > > One of them was "Baked Beans On Toast".
    > > Isn't that a strange sandwich or brunch dish?

    > Are you kidding? That's as traditional British/Irish as any dish could
    > ever hope to be. It is not necessarily as plain as the name implies,
    > either, for it can very well also contain some cheese, and some egg
    > preparation, fried or poached. Can be rather good.

    My grandfather used to make baked bean sandwiches for me "the day
    after". I never ate one with egg, although they were big egg eaters.
    In fact, variations on the theme were never considered in my presence.

  13. Puester

    Puester Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > He told me this morning the two chemo-like treatments he's had are not the
    > end of it. He has an appointment on Feb. 2 to meet with his doctor, have
    > another CAT scan and they will schedule more treatments after that. He's in
    > good spirits though, which is great, all things considered.

    And at least they are trying and haven't written him off.

    > And today is Mom's 80th birthday! I had this shipped to her to celebrate
    > the day:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/b2u2e

    Very nice. I'm sure she was touched.

    Take care and keep us posted.

    gloria p

  14. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And it's nutrtionally sound.. In order to get the full protein value
    > from pulses you apparently have to consume them with a grain. All
    > cuisines seem to have dishes which combine pulses with wheat or rice.
    > Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle, is
    > noe of the first - and often the last - things an Australian kid learns
    > to cook!
    >
    > Christine

    Well, where the heck have you been? Nice to see you, Christine!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

  15. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >In article
    ><[email protected]>,
    > Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>And it's nutrtionally sound.. In order to get the full protein value
    >>from pulses you apparently have to consume them with a grain. All
    >>cuisines seem to have dishes which combine pulses with wheat or rice.
    >>Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle, is
    >>noe of the first - and often the last - things an Australian kid learns
    >>to cook!
    >>
    >>Christine
    >>

    >Well, where the heck have you been? Nice to see you, Christine!

    Nice to see you're still around, and a few others. Is it my imagination,
    or is Sheldon mellowing in his old age?

    I dunno, recently I just felt the call of the wild or something. I'm
    using Outlook, which has a more user-friendly newsreader and I thought,
    why waste hours (and injure your neck) playing Bookworm when you could
    be exchanging insults and recipes on rfc? So I've been lurking for a
    while, waiting for an interesting topic. We shall see whether I've still
    got the fire in the belly, these days I'm an old fan and tired...

    Cheers
    Christine

  16. Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > And it's nutrtionally sound.. In order to get the full protein value
    > from pulses you apparently have to consume them with a grain. All
    > cuisines seem to have dishes which combine pulses with wheat or rice.
    > Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle,
    > is noe of the first - and often the last - things an Australian kid
    > learns to cook!

    Talk about a blast from the past! I was just thinking about you the other
    day - I have absolutely no idea why, now! Might have been when I was
    sorting through some old recipe print outs. Good to see you.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  17. Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > And it's nutrtionally sound.. In order to get the full protein value
    > from pulses you apparently have to consume them with a grain. All
    > cuisines seem to have dishes which combine pulses with wheat or rice.
    > Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle,
    > is noe of the first - and often the last - things an Australian kid
    > learns to cook!

    Talk about a blast from the past! I was just thinking about you the other
    day - I have absolutely no idea why, now! Might have been when I was
    sorting through some old recipe print outs. Good to see you.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  18. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:

    Well, I'll be... look who is posting again! :)

    > --------------000701010801010300050909

    Please don't post HTML. BTW, you are posting with Mozilla Thunderbird,
    not with Outlook (Express), thank God (Alex, whatever).

    > Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle,

    Explain "baked bean jaffle", please!

    Victor

  19. Victor Sack wrote:

    >Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >Well, I'll be... look who is posting again! :)
    >

    >>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    >>--------------000701010801010300050909
    >>

    >Please don't post HTML. BTW, you are posting with Mozilla Thunderbird,
    >not with Outlook (Express), thank God (Alex, whatever).
    >

    >>Baked beans on toast, the ultimate form being the baked bean jaffle,
    >>

    >Explain "baked bean jaffle", please!
    >
    >Victor

    You're right, I am using Thunderbird, I used to used Outlook but we're
    always installing improvements around here, it just takes ages for me to
    internalise them. Sorry about the HTML, the thingie always asks and I
    tell it to use plain text and HTML because that seemed best. I'll stick
    to plain text.

    A jaffle is made in a jaffle iron. Traditionally this is a cast iron
    object (a bit the same idea as a waffle iron) designed to be used on a
    camp fire or a gas burner, but nowadays you can get electric ones. It
    makes a sealed toasted sandwich - the plates are slightly concave to
    accommodate the filling and when clamped together the edges of the bread
    (which has been buttered on the outside) fuse together as they toast.

    You might find this interesting reading

    http://tinyurl.com/9qpn8*

    *Christine*

    *