rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Update on my KH seat bracket (to reduce flex)

Started by billham · · Last activity · 2 posts · 493 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
16 October 2004
Last activity
18 October 2004
Original author
billham
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
493
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. At Motorama 2003 I showed some people a bracket I had made to attach the
    handle of my KH seat to the brake lever bar on the seat post. The first
    bracket I made from 1/16" thick, 1" X 1" aluminum angle. It worked
    very well but only lasted about 2 or 3 months before it started to get a
    stress crack and then broke. I made a replacement bracket from 1/8"
    aluminum and it is holding up well. I have told several people I would
    keep them posted on how well the bracket held up. So here is the
    fulfillment of that promise.

    Here's a link to a few photos in the gallery....
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album366

    Everyone who has looked at it and tried it says it is very stiff. I
    even had one accomplished rider try it and he said the lack of flex was
    throwing off his timing a little. He was used to pulling a little early
    to compensate for the flex.

    This bracket is great because it is low cost and ease to make. All I
    used was a hacksaw, a file and a drill. It took me about 2 hours to
    make and mount both brackets. When making the first bracket, I made a
    template from a piece of stiff paper. Cut it to size and made the
    holes. Then I traced the paper onto the metal and made the bracket.

    The only downside to this bracket is that you can't change your seat
    angle after it is on. Not a problem for me though.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Bound and determined to start a local unicycle club!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35657

  2. That looks like a great idea. And a nifty use for the KH brake mount.
    I'll think about doing something like this with one of my unicycles. I
    don't have a KH seatpost, but I'd imagine that a cheap bar end would
    word as well.

    Keep up the good work.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35657

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.