Update on Tomato Soup Rant

Goomba38

Guest
Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
in and buy a few cans.
Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
Goomba

In article <[email protected]>,
Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
> Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
> with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
> my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
> children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
> try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
> soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
> slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
> with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
> cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
> well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
> in and buy a few cans.
> Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
> the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
> Goomba

I use low salt V-8 juice as "tomato soup". :)
It's excellent served hot, especially if I blanch a few fresh tomatoes,
peel them then chop them up and make a "chunky" soup out of it.

I just made a braised chicken "pot roast" with V-8 juice, and it turned
out very well!
--
K.

Goomba38 wrote:
> try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
> soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
> slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
> with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
> cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart!
> Goomba

LOL! Buy a case of the stuff and save yourself the aggravation.

Jill

"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
> Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
> with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
> my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
> children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
> try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
> soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
> slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
> with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
> cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
> well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
> in and buy a few cans.
> Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
> the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
> Goomba

Campbell's did not add sugar (I have yet to find a brand of tomato soup that
does not contain sugar) they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I have
been buying Heintz tomato soup that contians sugar but no HFCS, and it is
nowhere as sweet tasting as Campbell's. It is possible that the Wal-Mart
soup is really made by Heintz.

Jim

"james a. finley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
>> Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
>> with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
>> my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
>> children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
>> try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
>> soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
>> slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
>> with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
>> cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
>> well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
>> in and buy a few cans.
>> Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
>> the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
>> Goomba
>>

> Campbell's did not add sugar (I have yet to find a brand of tomato soup
> that
> does not contain sugar) they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I have
> been buying Heintz tomato soup that contians sugar but no HFCS, and it is
> nowhere as sweet tasting as Campbell's. It is possible that the Wal-Mart
> soup is really made by Heintz.

Yes, HFCS is cheaper than sugar, and that's why all the soft drink bottlers
switched to it back in the sixties. That's good for me, because I don't much
care for the taste of soft drinks anymore, and if I had continued to drink
the stuff at the rate I did in high school in the late fifties, I would
probably be an unhealthy old man with false teeth. A similar process put me
off chewing gum (thanks again) when the manufacturers switched from a
natural tree-sap product called chicle to the slimy plastic stuff they use
today. Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

--Rich

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:32:20 GMT, "Rich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
> firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

Gum doesn't get hard anymore?

sf

>Barbara Llorente writes:
>
>>"Rich" wrote:

>>Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
>>firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

>Gum doesn't get hard anymore?

Gumming makes it hard, believe you me.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon

Back to the soup, Campbell's doesn't taste the same to me anymore, either. I
liked to make it with half a can of milk and put chunks of orange cheese in it
to partially melt.

I found an alternative, using tomato paste and making a roux with butter. It
is better than Campbell's.