Update on Tomato Soup Rant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Goomba38, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
    Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
    with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
    my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
    children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
    try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
    soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
    slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
    with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
    cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
    well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
    in and buy a few cans.
    Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
    the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
    Goomba

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
    > Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
    > with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
    > my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
    > children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
    > try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
    > soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
    > slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
    > with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
    > cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
    > well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
    > in and buy a few cans.
    > Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
    > the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
    > Goomba

    I use low salt V-8 juice as "tomato soup". :)
    It's excellent served hot, especially if I blanch a few fresh tomatoes,
    peel them then chop them up and make a "chunky" soup out of it.

    I just made a braised chicken "pot roast" with V-8 juice, and it turned
    out very well!
    --
    K.

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:
    > try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
    > soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
    > slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
    > with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
    > cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart!
    > Goomba

    LOL! Buy a case of the stuff and save yourself the aggravation.

    Jill

  4. "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
    > Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
    > with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
    > my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
    > children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
    > try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
    > soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
    > slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
    > with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
    > cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
    > well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
    > in and buy a few cans.
    > Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
    > the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
    > Goomba

    Campbell's did not add sugar (I have yet to find a brand of tomato soup that
    does not contain sugar) they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I have
    been buying Heintz tomato soup that contians sugar but no HFCS, and it is
    nowhere as sweet tasting as Campbell's. It is possible that the Wal-Mart
    soup is really made by Heintz.

    Jim

  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "james a. finley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Recently I mentioned how horrid Campbell's Tomato
    >> Soup has become since they've made it so sweet
    >> with the addition of sugar. It isn't the soup of
    >> my childhood, nor is it one I'd now ever serve my
    >> children and grandchild. Someone here suggested I
    >> try Walmart/Sam's brand and I did today. It is the
    >> soup of my childhood!! Not sweet at all...
    >> slightly savory and lovely. Enjoyed a big fat mug
    >> with triscuit crackers and some good sharp
    >> cheddar. The only problem is I hate Walmart! Oh
    >> well.. for a good canned soup I guess I can slip
    >> in and buy a few cans.
    >> Give it a try if you've also become disgusted with
    >> the "sweetening" of Campbell's soups.
    >> Goomba
    >>

    > Campbell's did not add sugar (I have yet to find a brand of tomato soup
    > that
    > does not contain sugar) they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I have
    > been buying Heintz tomato soup that contians sugar but no HFCS, and it is
    > nowhere as sweet tasting as Campbell's. It is possible that the Wal-Mart
    > soup is really made by Heintz.

    Yes, HFCS is cheaper than sugar, and that's why all the soft drink bottlers
    switched to it back in the sixties. That's good for me, because I don't much
    care for the taste of soft drinks anymore, and if I had continued to drink
    the stuff at the rate I did in high school in the late fifties, I would
    probably be an unhealthy old man with false teeth. A similar process put me
    off chewing gum (thanks again) when the manufacturers switched from a
    natural tree-sap product called chicle to the slimy plastic stuff they use
    today. Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
    firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

    --Rich

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:32:20 GMT, "Rich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
    > firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

    Gum doesn't get hard anymore?

    sf

  7. PENMART01

    PENMART01 Guest

    >Barbara Llorente writes:
    >
    >>"Rich" wrote:

    >>Only old farts like me will remember the chewing gums that got
    >>firmer, not softer, the longer you chewed them.

    >Gum doesn't get hard anymore?

    Gumming makes it hard, believe you me.

    ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    *********
    Sheldon

  8. Grismalkin

    Grismalkin Guest

    Back to the soup, Campbell's doesn't taste the same to me anymore, either. I
    liked to make it with half a can of milk and put chunks of orange cheese in it
    to partially melt.

    I found an alternative, using tomato paste and making a roux with butter. It
    is better than Campbell's.