Updating An Old Schwinn Or Similar Bike.

letitherobe

Jun 22, 2015
I was thinking about buying old Schwinn or similar type bike to use as a cruiser and to just keep at my place in Florida. I would probably strip it down to the frame and then update it with old parts I have laying around. Is there a listing anywhere that tells what parts are compatible? I would especially like to replace parts like the bottom bracket and cranks and also the stem and handlebars, besides putting on new wheels. So does anybody know what fits what?

It will be a fun project assuming you have some bike repair experience. I do it often but in all honesty it is cheaper to just buy a cruiser. My last cruiser was a close out for $67. A crank adapter is $35 plus the cost of a new BB. The conversion parts are expensive. Roge

If you buy an old Schwinn, I dont know why you would replace the crank and the bottom bracket or any other of the parts you mentioned.

I have refurbished over 400 schwinns, i try to keep them as original as possible. I also ride them a lot.
I just today bought a blue 63 Schwinn American, I paid 125 bucks for it. I will clean it lube and ride it (-: keeping it mostly original.

I like upgrading old bikes but schwinns are quirky because they were kind of proprietary on their parts...stem quill diameter, headtube diameter, 26 tires and maybe something else.

Just imagine the work it took to build those klunkerz back in the 70s from those old frames and the resources we have now to what they had back then.

I like using the walmart schwinn cruisers like the Pointe Beach and Jaguar since those will work with pretty much anything most shops have and don't use anything special. Most stuff that comes on them is junk though...entry level grip shift, derailleur, brakes and well pretty much everything.

i've been thinging about doing something like that. i picked up a cheap mountain bike with disc brakes, and the co-op has an older cruiser they were teasing about thrashing at a local mountain bike ride spot.

i may try to grab it before they do, and make a high tech looking (ok maybe not performing though) 5-7sp out of it with the disc brake wheels i have. i'd call it "the old dog" (after the book). since i pretty much only ride stretch cruisers i'd only be making it to satisfy a creative urge though, so that's kept me from really trying it.

I say go for it. I've worked on bikes and motorcycles forever it seems. Parts can be expensive if you purchase at retail but you would be amazed at the bargains that can be found on-line or even at yard sales. I'm in the final stages of reassembling my old 1996 Schwinn Supreme 6 speed. I replaced the freewheel, tires (most expensive parts used) tubes, grip shifter and cables for about $90. True, I could have had one of the big box store bikes for about the same or a little more, but this way, I restore an old friend and continue to ride it hopefully for many years.
Working on bikes is a blast too if you're mechanically inclined at all. The tools are fairly straightforward and the really expensive tools such as a headset press, bottom bracket press, dropout alignment tool, crown race remover and setter can be fabricated for a very modest investment.