Upgrade 105 7 speed double to 9 speed triple

Humpkin

New Member
Mar 11, 2004
I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is a double. The bike got smashed up by a car and the frame was snapped.

I am desparate to start riding again, so decided to just replace the frame and transfer the components. The only thing is, the frame I have acquired is from a 2004 Cannondale R600 and it seems a bit of an insult to the frame to build it up 7 speed.

I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple with flightdeck, but could live with a double, since I only ever use 3 gears (5, 12 & 14). Could anyone advise me as to what parts I would need, since I am weighing up the option of just buying what I need over buying a new groupset. I think I need:

New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters
3 speed front derailleur
Triple crankset
9 speed chain
9 speed rear derailleur
9 speed casette

Have I missed anything?

Will I need a new BB to cope with the triple crankset, or a new hub on the tear wheel for the 9 speed cassette or anything like that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:45:57 +0000, Humpkin wrote:

> I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is
> a double. I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple
>
> New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters 3 speed front
> derailleur Triple crankset 9 speed chain 9 speed rear
> derailleur 9 speed casette Will I need a new BB to cope
> with the triple crankset, or a new hub on the tear wheel
> for the 9 speed cassette or anything like that?

Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame
chainstays got enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp
hub? 9sp can be fitted to many 7sp frames without trouble
(it is only 4mm difference), but people have reported some
problems on here before. It would be cheaper to buy a
secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one. Alan.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North
Midlands.

Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame
chainstays got enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp
hub? 9sp can be fitted to many 7sp frames without trouble
(it is only 4mm difference), but people have reported some
problems on here before. It would be cheaper to buy a
secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one. Alan.

OK so I need a new rear hub & BB as well............ but this is a different frame from the original - a 2004 R600- normally would be built up with 9 speed 105, whether double or triple:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR6D.html

(that's the double)

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:45:57 GMT, Humpkin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters

Don't you mean 3/9 STI levers?

> 3 speed front derailleur Triple crankset 9 speed chain 9
> speed rear derailleur 9 speed casette
>
>Have I missed anything?
>
>Will I need a new BB to cope with the triple crankset, or a
>new hub on the tear wheel for the 9 speed cassette or
>anything like that?

The old hub won't accept a 9 speed cassette. And it will be
126mm width, not today's 130mm. You will need a new hub- 8
or 9 speed model. OR you can change just the freehub body
and respace and redish the wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

And bottom bracket- just get what they recommend for
the crankset.

>Any advice would be appreciated.

Do some of the math and then look at used bikes. Sometimes
you can get a complete used bike and just part it out and
save money over new components. If you get a steel frame,
you could even throw the old 7 speed stuff on it and use it
as a beater.

Humpkin wrote:

> I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is
> a double. The bike got smashed up by a car and the frame
> was snapped.
>
> I am desparate to start riding again, so decided to just
> replace the frame and transfer the components. The only
> thing is, the frame I have acquired is from a 2004
> Cannondale R600 and it seems a bit of an insult to the
> frame to build it up 7 speed.

Why? That's just plain silly, especially if...

> I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple... but
> could live with a double, since I only ever use 3 gears
> (5, 12 & 14).

So why do you want more gears? As long as your current 7sp
setup gives you the gearing you need, there's no reason to
change it. Plus -- 7sp wheels are significantly stronger,
because of less dish.

Personally, if I had a 7sp bike to begin with, I wouldn't
change it to 8 or 9. Because of the wheel strength issue,
7sp is actually superior, IMO. 7sp is plenty of range for
the rear. The rest can be made up with a triple if
necessary.

I happen to have a 9sp bike, but it came that way -- that's
what they're selling nowadays. I can't honestly say it's an
advantage over the 7sp ones I rode for years, especially
with a triple.

If you don't have STI and you want it, I think they still
make 7sp Sora, plus there's plenty of old 7sp stuff around
(check eBay).

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Just build your new frame with the parts you have, and enjoy
it.

Matt O.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:46:11 GMT, Humpkin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame
>chainstays got enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp
>hub? 9sp can be fitted to many 7sp frames without trouble
>(it is only 4mm difference), but people have reported some
>problems on here before. It would be cheaper to buy a
>secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one. Alan.
>

>OK so I need a new rear hub & BB as well............ but
>this is a different frame from the original - a 2004 R600-
>normally would be built up with 9 speed 105, whether double
>or triple:

No, no, no!!! You DON'T need a new rear hub. Your old 7-
speed bike had a rear triangle spaced at 126mm. Chances are
your new frame is spaced at 130mm to match 8/9/10 speed rear
hubs. To go to 9-speed all you need to replace is the
freehub body (and cassette). In another recent thread this
subject was discussed ad nauseum.

Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery) has a cheap Shimano rear hub
(like $20) from which an 8/9-speed Hyperglide freehub body
can be removed to replace your 7-speed. This will widen your
hub by 4mm, all on the right side. To compensate you'll have
to redish the wheel, moving the rim 2mm to the right. You
won't need new spokes, just a few turns with a spoke wrench.
You'll probably find all the info you need somewhere on
Sheldon's site.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Originally posted by Matt O'Toole
Humpkin wrote:

Personally, if I had a 7sp bike to begin with, I wouldn't
change it to 8 or 9. Because of the wheel strength issue,
7sp is actually superior, IMO. 7sp is plenty of range for
the rear. The rest can be made up with a triple if
necessary.

I agree. Build the new frame up with the 7-speed stuff. Put 4mm of spacers on the non-drive side of the rear axle to bring it up to the 130mm width of the new frame's rear dropouts, redish the wheel (making it even stronger), and you're good to go.