Upgrade a 2002 Lemond Zurich?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mish, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Mish

Mish New Member

My Lemond has 4000 miles on it, all from the last 2 years. No previous miles.
    I know its worth keeping alive with original parts, but is it worth upgrading as I need (or want) new components? How much weight could I drop and what kind of performance would I gain if I went to components better than Ultegra?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Don't waste your time or money if you are dragging around any extra bacon,and aren't trained to the nth degree.

3. rek

rek New Member

Unless you've abused the heck out of it, that Ultegra group has got a lot of life left in it.

One easy way to make a drivetrain feel much newer again is to replace the shift cables, both the inner wires and outer housings. Adding an Avid Rollamajig to the rear mech cable area also helps remove cable friction a bit and makes it that bit more sweeter.

If you're after an upgrade that you'll see an obvious benefit from, look at your wheelset. (Depends on what you have at the moment, of course)

4. Mish

Mish New Member

I have taken great care of this bike. I have not changed cables or housing. The wheels are the stock Bontrager Racelite. Should they go? Is there a housing that is better than others?

5. John M

John M New Member

Replace parts as the become worn-out and are at the end of their usable life then upgrade as performance needs and budget permit. With proper care you will probably never wear out your front derailleur or any component that does not move. Even cassettes can get 6-8000 miles by keeping things clean and lubricated and replacing the chain as needed. I agree with Boudreau, there is no need to upgrade perfectly functional parts unless that new pair of wheels or derailleur is all that separates you from the yellow jersey.

6. rek

rek New Member

You can pay a lot of money for crazy housing made out of aerospace grade unobtainium ra ra ra, but IMO it's not worth it... may as well buy a cable/housing cutter and a bulk load of standard cable inners and outers that will last you for a lot longer than one wanky cableset can. If you can find pre-stretched inner cable for not much more than normal stuff then by all means get it, but it's not really worth paying that much of a premium for.

The wheels, I don't know what those wheels are in the grand scheme of things. Good wheels are fairly pricey and it's well worth thinking through your priorities in a wheelset, and then doing some research into things before plonking down your $$$. It could well be that the super expensive wheel might not be all that much better, all things considered, than the ones you have now.

7. cmoore992002

cmoore992002 New Member

IMHO you should upgrade only when the part does not work or will not stay adjusted.

8. Mish

Mish New Member