UK and Europe · Public discussion

Upgrade a Kona Cinder Cone

Started by Caher · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,021 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 September 2004
Last activity
1 September 2004
Original author
Caher
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,021
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,
    The other day I stumbled into Halfords and saw a Kona Cinder Cone at such an incredible price that I had to have it. Anyway I’ve read a few reviews of this model and read that ‘its ripe for upgrades’ without anyone saying what the upgrades might be. Anyone out there got any suggestions?

    Many thanks
    Caher

  2. Caher said:

    The other day I stumbled into Halfords

    Were you pushed?

  3. Caher said:

    Hi all,
    The other day I stumbled into Halfords and saw a Kona Cinder Cone at
    such an incredible price that I had to have it. Anyway I?ve read a few
    reviews of this model and read that ?its ripe for upgrades? without
    anyone saying what the upgrades might be. Anyone out there got any
    suggestions?

    Quoted message said:

    Many thanks
    Caher

    I might suggest just riding and enjoying it. When you wear bits
    out or break them then consider whether to replace them with the same of
    higher spec.

    I've a 2001 Kona Nunu which shared a frame with the 2001 Cinder
    Cone. The only significant changes I've made to it have been a recent
    upgrade to the forks- the originals were by any sensible definition
    worn out.

    My guess at the intended meaning of "its ripe for upgrades"
    would be that the frame is good enough to merit upgrading as you wear
    parts out or thy don't meet your requirements. That's certainly been the
    case with my frame and bar any serious accidents I'm expecting it to
    last me another three years.

    I'll not suggest upgrading from the Shimano mechanical disks to
    good V brakes as people seem to have Strong Opinions...

    Hope you enjoy riding it.

    Tim.

    PS Just out of curiosity how much were Halfords charging?

  4. "Caher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway I’ve read a few
    reviews of this model and read that ‘its ripe for upgrades’

    That means the components are all [censored] as far as the reviewers are concerned.
    --
    "A kilt opens up new possibilities."
    - Gary D. Schwartz in rec.backcountry

  5. £ 500 - seemed quite good.

    quote='Tim Izod'Caher said:

    Hi all,
    The other day I stumbled into Halfords and saw a Kona Cinder Cone at
    such an incredible price that I had to have it. Anyway I?ve read a few
    reviews of this model and read that ?its ripe for upgrades? without
    anyone saying what the upgrades might be. Anyone out there got any
    suggestions?

    Quoted message said:

    Many thanks
    Caher

    I might suggest just riding and enjoying it. When you wear bits
    out or break them then consider whether to replace them with the same of
    higher spec.

    I've a 2001 Kona Nunu which shared a frame with the 2001 Cinder
    Cone. The only significant changes I've made to it have been a recent
    upgrade to the forks- the originals were by any sensible definition
    worn out.

    My guess at the intended meaning of "its ripe for upgrades"
    would be that the frame is good enough to merit upgrading as you wear
    parts out or thy don't meet your requirements. That's certainly been the
    case with my frame and bar any serious accidents I'm expecting it to
    last me another three years.

    I'll not suggest upgrading from the Shimano mechanical disks to
    good V brakes as people seem to have Strong Opinions...

    Hope you enjoy riding it.

    Tim.

    PS Just out of curiosity how much were Halfords charging?[/QUOTE]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.