Upgrade....Al with equipment or lower grade CF??

wotnoshoeseh

Jan 15, 2011
OK I've had a GT Series 4 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif for a year now - well not quite, but almost 9 months. I'm looking at upgrading to the next step and am thinking do I step up to CF or go for top grade Al with better equipment.
On my list of possibles are:-
  • Trek 2.3 - full 105 drivetrain and brakes.
  • Trek Madone 4.5 - 105 gears, Tektro brakes and R600 crank
  • Gary Fisher Ion Pro - 105 gears, Tektro brakes and R600 crank
  • Felt F75 - Full 105 but FSA crank
  • Specialized Allez - Apex but Tektro brakes
  • Specialized Roubaix / Tarmac Apex. - Apex drivetrain but Tektro brakes
  • Bianchi Via Nirone 105.

So far I have had a quick back to back spin on the 2.3 and the Ion Pro, but other than that I haven't tried any of the others out.
Both of these I felt was not as "head down - ass up" as my GT. The Ion probably has a better frame that can allow me to upgrade the equipment accordingly at a later stage e.g. Ultegra brake calipers for $130 at present on Nashbar.
I'm tending to favour something that is not as sporty, hence my inclusion of the Roubaix. I'd probably also look at the Secteur (Al version).
If there is anything else out there I should be looking at, please let me know.
I have a better feel for Shimano as when I first rode bikes the only thing available was Shimano but this is probably down to familiarity with the brand name. SRAM seem to have quite a decent track record. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

All of the bikes that you have listed are fairly popular bikes and should be available at various bike shops this time of year. They may not have the same mix of components but the frame will be the same and that is what you are mostly comparing here. Try to find them locally and test ride them and then make your decision based upon your own feelings. Also, if possible, try riding a bike fitted with Ultegra components and see if you can feel any difference between the shifting of the Ultegra and the 105. If you like the ride of a carbon frame more than the better shifting of the Ultegra, then get yourself a CF bike. If you like the shifting of the Ultegra over the ride of the CF bike, then do your upgrade. In any case, make sure that you are either starting out with the right size Al frame or that you are buying the right size CF frame.

If you want, you can throw comparisons of SRAM and Campagnolo components into the mix. Unfortunately asking for input here is going to tell you what other riders like rather than what is best for you.