upgrade Bacchetta Giro to be "Strada-like"?

Johlde

Guest
Would it be possible to put a 26" FRONT wheel on the Giro if I replaced the fork? ... or isn't that
simple? ... other considerations?

Other than the fork, the frame and geomotries of the Giro and the Strada look the same.

Thanks.

Jason

This thread was just on [email protected]. The geometry is different, and the handling isn't
very good. Someone on this NG did it and wasn't very happy with the conversion Denny in Sayre, PA
"johlde" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Would it be possible to put a 26" FRONT wheel on the Giro if I replaced the fork? ... or isn't
> that simple? ... other considerations?
>
> Other than the fork, the frame and geomotries of the Giro and the Strada look the same.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Good Morning Denny, I have not read the thread. However, Yesterday afternoon while building a small
GIRO I had a Kinesis Max Lite fork which was cut to fit a STRADA. I punched in a star and slapped it
on the GIRO I pulled a 559/KWEST wheel off the STRADA Tour and hit the parking lot. In the short
time I rode it felt squrilly/twichy and suffered from wheel flop ala bikeE. There was also noticable
tiller. The STRADA with the same fork is fine. The increased rake of the ATB fork pushes the WB to
just a lil over 47" on the GIRO it was a bit over 48". Why? The head tube angles are different. The
STRADA with the Max Lite or a Tange Cromo 559 fork raised the front of the bike an inch and a
quarter, thus the seat height increases. The 559 fork is taller to allow clearance for tires that
sit higher on the rim. Thus the x-seam reguirements increase for my Strada Tour. My thought is that
a medium framed STRADA with the 559 fork could accomidate a LowRider rack. With a modified RANS rear
rack, underseat panniers and the lowriders it would mimic the carrying capabilities of my trusty
long neglected Schwinn Voyager. I understand that there is an underseat pannier coming for the M5
seat, however a thinner pad for the Bacchetta mesh seat... like the new RANS pad might be in order
too. So ther is my 4 cents.
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Denny Voorhees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This thread was just on [email protected]. The geometry is different, and the handling
> isn't very good. Someone on this NG did it and wasn't very happy with the conversion Denny in
> Sayre, PA "johlde" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Would it be possible to put a 26" FRONT wheel on the Giro if I replaced the fork? ... or isn't
> > that simple? ... other considerations?
> >
> > Other than the fork, the frame and geomotries of the Giro and the Strada look the same.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jason

Jude; thanks for the "actual modification experience" post. It's what I recall hearing except much
better detail. Have you joined the Bacchetta_Bikes egroup on yahoo yet? It's up to over 125 members
now. BTW have heard little out of Al Lately, is he scheeming for a faster bike? Or has he gone back
to paddling? Denny "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Good Morning Denny, I have not read the thread. However, Yesterday afternoon while building a
> small GIRO I had a Kinesis Max Lite fork which was cut to fit a STRADA. I punched in a star and
> slapped it on the GIRO I pulled a
559/KWEST
> wheel off the STRADA Tour and hit the parking lot. In the short time I
rode
> it felt squrilly/twichy and suffered from wheel flop ala bikeE. There was also noticable tiller.
> The STRADA with the same fork is fine. The
increased
> rake of the ATB fork pushes the WB to just a lil over 47" on the GIRO it
was
> a bit over 48". Why? The head tube angles are different. The STRADA with the Max Lite or a Tange
> Cromo 559 fork raised the front of the bike an inch and a quarter, thus the seat height increases.
The
> 559 fork is taller to allow clearance for tires that sit higher on the
rim.
> Thus the x-seam reguirements increase for my Strada Tour. My thought is
that
> a medium framed STRADA with the 559 fork could accomidate a LowRider rack. With a modified RANS
> rear rack, underseat panniers and the lowriders it would mimic the carrying capabilities of my
> trusty long neglected Schwinn Voyager. I understand that there is an underseat pannier coming for
> the M5 seat, however a thinner pad for the Bacchetta mesh seat... like the new
RANS
> pad might be in order too. So ther is my 4 cents.
> --
> Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
> Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Denny Voorhees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > This thread was just on [email protected]. The geometry is different, and the handling
> > isn't very good. Someone on this NG did it
and
> > wasn't very happy with the conversion Denny in Sayre, PA "johlde" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> > > Would it be possible to put a 26" FRONT wheel on the Giro if I replaced the fork? ... or isn't
> > > that simple? ... other considerations?
> > >
> > > Other than the fork, the frame and geomotries of the Giro and the Strada look the same.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Jason

Denny, I'd make a lousy bent evalulator. I rode the CommuteE home today 15 miles. BIG difference
from the AERO! Gee who da thunk? I did average over 17 mph for the 15 miles. I have not seen much of
Al this week. Neither of us have in much ride time, the weather has been, well you know monsoonish.
He still has his CORSA and has yet to be lusting for an AERO. If I start beating up on him
consistently he may succumb to the lure of Ti. Not much new here. Bacchettas are moving fairly well,
even with tha bad weather. Have sold some RANS and EZ models. I have a EZ Tandem and its pretty
cool. Pretty heavy but for under 2K its a ideal bent for the couple who has a weaker rider and wants
to ride together. I'll have to look into the Bacchetta Group on Yahoo. Gee just what I need another
forum. However, I do have the best deals on Bacchetta's. Stock or custom.