Upgrade componentry or Upgrade bike?? Decisions, decisions......

wotnoshoeseh

Jan 15, 2011
Hi all,
I have two questions.
Let me set the scene first though.

After a hiatus from cycling of almost 20 years I took the plunge last year and bought a 2010 GT Series 4 bike. It's a nice bike with aluminium frame, FSA Vero compact crankset, Shimano 2300 shifter and brake levers, Sora rear derailleur and 2300 front derailleur, with Alex R500 rims/wheels and Vittoria Pro tyres. To date I have added Shiman SPD pedals and a computer.

I'm realy enjoying my cycling now and am toying with the idea of upgrading my bike. My budget would be ~$1400 to buy a new bike (thinking Felt F75 or similar). However for this my thoughts are that I will simply get upgraded componentry, as the frame is similar in that it is an Aluminium frame etc.

So my first question is:
Q1 Is it better to upgrade my bike (i.e. buy someting different with upgraded componentry),, or do I already have a sound basis (frame and fork) to simply upgrade parts as I go along?

My second question is dependent upon the answer to the first question.

Q2A. If it is better to upgrade the whole bike, other than the Felt 75, what other bikes would be recommended? I like the set up of my original GT Series 4, so something in that same vein would be my direction. I'm thinking Scott Speedster, Trek 2 series, or Giant perhaps, but all suggestions are appreciated?

Q2B. If the answer is to upgrade the components, where should I start? Brakes, derailleurs, shifters etc. etc.

I know there are a couple of questions here but I'm pretty sure everyone has gone through the same thought processes when they first start out, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D.

May I offer a third option? Ride what you have for awhile longer and continue to save until you have around $2000 to sink into a new bike.

The reasons for the third option are that upgrading components is extremely expensive. What you would spend upgrading all of your components would be close to if not exceeding the cost of a complete new bike with the same components on it. As far as buying a new bike at this time, if all that you can afford is a new bike with another aluminum frame, you will still be experiencing the same harsh ride that you got from your old bike. If you want to upgrade, get a bike with a CF frame for a more comfortable ride, with components in the range of Shimano 105. SRAM Rival, or better.

The window for bicycle clearance sales is gone for this year and it will be difficult to get a great deal on a bike until next fall. Start looking now though, so that you will be fully informed and have narrowed your choices as to what you want to be aiming for when September rolls around.

For now though, treat yourself to some nicer tires or get yourself a new jersey and then start saving in earnest again.

OK. Thanks KD - sounds like a little more sensible plan.

I'll start my saving now then. The other option is wait until I go back to the UK in 12-18 months, and buy a Bianchi at a more sensible price...those are very nice....

D.

I think I like your last option even better. You can't go wrong with a Bianchi. Gorgeous, dependable bikes/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif.

Maybe start with deciding what objective your current bike isn't fulling so you know what to focus on. There are many areas to explore - or combinations ...
- climbing is a chore and you'd like to explore the performance of a lighter bike
- your current drivetrain skips while shifting or isn't "crisp"
- your wheels don't seem to spin smoothly, so maybe better hubs/bearings would reduce rolling resistance
- the brand of bike you currently ride is not your "persona"
- your financial picture has changed and you want to reward yourself with a "better" bike
- it's just time to change bikes

All are valid reasons for wanting to "upgrade", but until you really know which one(s) is important to you, it will be hard to make a decision. If rolling resistance is the issue, then maybe money invested in a wheelset with the highest precision hub and bearings is the way to go. That will probably take care of $500 - $1,000 (or more) of your budget once you select the hubs and have them built out. However, if that is your main objective, better to do that than buy a new bike with another mid-range wheelset that doesn't address your concern. As kdelong mentioned, different frame materials have different road feel. Maybe you'll like CF and maybe you won't. It has advantages and disadvantages. Lightweight and stiff high performance bikes are a marvel ... they're fun to pilot. If that scratches your itch, go for it. If you're trying to "broad brush it" and enhance a little bit of everything, then everything will be a bit of a compromise - where do you want to compromise less?

If it sounds like I'm being facetious, that's really not my intent. Working more from the idea that if you want a successful outcome for anything, you need to start with a clear and defined objective.

Thanks sitzmark - plenty of food for thought there, and plenty of reasoned valid points.

I think for the moment I will hold off, and ride the wheels off what I already have, while continuing to put some hard earned away for something better in a while.

kdelong you said, and I quote....

The window for bicycle clearance sales is gone for this year and it will be difficult to get a great deal on a bike until next fall.
Check out this thread though. The sale is in the UK though, but look at the price......
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/c2c-via-nirone-7-veloce-2010-road-bike-ec026395
plenty of availability too.

Thanks,
D.

You might find that a $1400 bike is more of a "lateral move" than you thought it would be, unless you can get into a 105 equipped bike with decent wheels in that price range --- i honestly haven't checked stuff in that price range lately

Not meaning to sound elitist or anything, but i dont think you'd see a tangible performance benefit until you hit the bikes with the Ultegra range of performance (or SRAM rival or the campy equipment)- maybe 105 with nice wheels IDK

And at that price range, (probably 2k to 2500 depending on the frame), its nice to drop another handful of bucks to get fitted by a pro. Trust me, you likely will never ride the trusty 'ol GT again when you upgrade, so sell it and use the proceeds to offset the purchase price ------ (unless you have a relative thats your size you can give it to --- but i have a garage full of old bikes i keep around hoping my friends or relatives will ride with me, but it just doesn't happen)

EDIT: just saw the link on that Bianchi with the Veloce components -- looks like a solid deal actually --- how much extra to get one with a lighter carbon frame ? Regardless -- for that price you could buy the bike and have plenty of cash left over to have a set of lightweight wheels built for it for special rides -- and a spare set of wheels is not a bad idea for any bike if you ride a lot

I agree with KD's first post.
For what its worth I like the Bianchi Infinito for a little over 2 grand you would get one heck of a bike.
Save your cash ride your bike and upgrade.

I don't think that I can say it often enough:

• IMO, anyone with an 8-speed Shimano drivetrain who wants to update-or-upgrade can [COLOR= #008000]get-the-most-bang-for-their buck[/COLOR] by simply buying-and-installing a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ...

The pre-2007 (non-QS) are better UNLESS one is getting either Record or Chorus shifters OR Campagnolo's most recent style shifters.

Cost, not counting new handlebar tape (which doesn't necessarily have to be replaced, of course), can be between $100-to-$200 depending on the age & condition of the shifters ... [COLOR= #ff0000]a person can pay more, of course![/COLOR] ... selling the current, 8-speed shifters which are on the bike will partially offset the cost.