Upgrade Frame or wheelset?

Matt Ashley

Mar 28, 2012
Hi All,

I wanted to get some people opinions on if it was a better move to upgrade my bike frame or get a new wheelset first. I currently have Cannondale CAAD9 6 that I purchased about 4 years ago. (http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/cannondale/caad9-6/prd_419158_5668crx.aspx) It has all components, wheels, etc that the bike came with. I'm just a weekend and evening cyclist that probably averages 50 - 100 miles a week, and average about 20 mph. I don't do any competitive cycling, but I am really interested in getting an entry level priced aero wheelset. I'm not looking to spend much more thank $1,000 on wheels.

I'm looking at either the Shimano WH-RS80-C50-CL or the Mavic 2012 Cosmic Carbone SL.
[SIZE= 12px]Any thought on what would be better (upgrading to a carbon frame or getting a new aero wheelset) would be appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Thanks,[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px]Matt[/SIZE]

If you like your current frame, why upgrade to a different frame? There's nothing special about carbon fiber frames, except for the amount of BS that marketing guys spew about it.

It's not that I don't like my frame. I'd just like to increase my average speed and was curious what would give me a better opportunity to do that wheels or frame (besides training harder and riding more of course :p).

In my view, a 20 mph average is nothing to sneeze at.

Make big aerodynamic gains in positioning before you start trying to make small gains with your equipment. Do you ride in the the drops and/or do you ride low?

To get lower you could pick up a different stem to lower the handle bars, flip the one you currently have or move around the spacers. As long as you can stay comfortable you should be faster.

It may not be the style you are looking for but well-fitting clip on aerobars will make you faster as well (assuming that you use them).

Matt Ashley said:
It's not that I don't like my frame. I'd just like to increase my average speed and was curious what would give me a better opportunity to do that wheels or frame (besides training harder and riding more of course :p).
Frames and wheels only increase speed a small amount. Training with a power meter will increase your speed much more than a frame or wheels.

Originally Posted by Matt Ashley .

Best way to ride faster is to ride behind someone else. So, find someone to ride with. You can most likely find a group that will pull you around as fast as you want.

---

A power meter will not halp you. A reasonable training plan will.

If you have the money and want a new frame, wheels, or complete bike, buy it.