upgrade from 8 speed to 10 speed campy(seems like Campy wants to rip u off)

Been posting a few threads on here, one was about mix and match Campy
parts to upgrade my ride from 8 speed to 10 speed. Unfortunately, I had
bought most of my parts BEFORE I had asked the question about what
parts really needed to be changed. Got my big 10 speed campy chain ring
today and after spending a half hour wasting my precious life away
examining the new 10 speed big ring with my current campy 8 speed ring,
I don't see any difference in thickness...oh well thats what I get for
jumping the gun. I forget where I saw on the web where they said to
change the big ring but I can't really see any difference in the
two...good thing I got it from Fleabay and didnt pay retail for
it...after I get all my parts I will see if the 10 speed chain works ok
with my "8 speed" big ring and post the results here. In fact i will
probably not change my rear derailleur as some has suggested and see if
that can shift the new 10 speed setup without any lag, although I had
bought a new Record Carbon rear derail. 2 weeks ago on Fleabay as
well.... Anyone else have microscopic vision to determine if the
thickness is indeed really different? Thanks to the other posters on my
"mix and match campy" thread, appreaciate it.

[email protected] wrote:
> Been posting a few threads on here, one was about mix and match Campy
> parts to upgrade my ride from 8 speed to 10 speed. Unfortunately, I
> had bought most of my parts BEFORE I had asked the question about what
> parts really needed to be changed. Got my big 10 speed campy chain
> ring today and after spending a half hour wasting my precious life
> away examining the new 10 speed big ring with my current campy 8
> speed ring, I don't see any difference in thickness...oh well thats
> what I get for jumping the gun. I forget where I saw on the web where
> they said to change the big ring but I can't really see any
> difference in the two...good thing I got it from Fleabay and didnt
> pay retail for it...after I get all my parts I will see if the 10
> speed chain works ok with my "8 speed" big ring and post the results
> here. In fact i will probably not change my rear derailleur as some
> has suggested and see if that can shift the new 10 speed setup
> without any lag, although I had bought a new Record Carbon rear
> derail. 2 weeks ago on Fleabay as well.... Anyone else have
> microscopic vision to determine if the thickness is indeed really
> different? Thanks to the other posters on my "mix and match campy"
> thread, appreaciate it.

I ran 10s Campy on 8s Shimano 105. The only issue I had was when I was
downshifting from the big to small ring (on a double). The chain would
sometimes, but rarely lodge itself between the two chainrings, letting it
freewheel both ways.

I'm guessing it's the crank spider that is thinner, allowing closer
clearance between the chainrings, not the actual thickness. Most cranks are
"9/10s compatible" these days, usually in the form of a silly sticker.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I'm using my old 8 speed Chorus cranks, so I was told(well saw it
online on some bike website) that you needed to just change the big
ring my LBS said the same thing that you mentioned, the 10 speed
chain could sometimes slip and go in between the two rings....

It is not thickness of the ring, it is width between the rings which is
modified by removing width only where the chainring attaches to the
spider.

Not my opinion, FACT. Look closely and if it says "UD" in red, it will
have that mod. Some others do as well, so I am not saying you are
screwed in it doesn't but if there is no "UD" and no discernible
difference where it attaches to the spider, then talk to your vendor
about whether you got the wrong ring.

BTW, there are also mods to the placement of the ramp pins. You should
be glad you got the ring, it makes a very significant difference. I
will say this though, you would not have had worse shifting than your 8
speed, just not the fantastic difference you get in 10 speed UD. No
****, I have posted several times since 2002 when I spend through a 9
speed upgrade, only because I bought an all new 10 speed bike. The
initial road trips told me there were no reasons that I HAD to get any
upgrades because the new 10 speed UD rig shifted awesome even with a 9
speed chain, 9 speed Campy and even 9 speed Shimano rear cassettes.
However, the 10 speed shifting on the 10 speed cassette with KICK ASS
and every bit as good or better than DA of same vintage, because the
Campy and DA shift about the same when they are each setup perfectly
but Campy is more forgiving. Try to see how well your Campy cassettes
shift on DA. I have not tried DA since '02 so I have never tried 10
speed and I never have been able to justify Shimano (other than
cassettes just so I could use some wheels I had prior to evolving to
all Campy wheel-sets. Campy are also the best wheels for the money on
some models while an amazing rip-off on others. Go figure).

As I said above, you are almost correct. It is the chainring where it
attaches to the spider arms.

Chris M wrote:
> As I said above, you are almost correct. It is the chainring where it
> attaches to the spider arms.

my LBS slapped a DA cassette onto my Mavic wheels for my 8 speed Campy
set up and it shifts smooth but never had a DA rig using campy
cassette I am gonna use a 10 speed DA cassette on the upgrade campy
10 speed...hopefully it will be as smooth.

[email protected] wrote:
> Been posting a few threads on here, one was about mix and match Campy
> parts to upgrade my ride from 8 speed to 10 speed. Unfortunately, I had
> bought most of my parts BEFORE I had asked the question about what
> parts really needed to be changed. Got my big 10 speed campy chain ring
> today and after spending a half hour wasting my precious life away
> examining the new 10 speed big ring with my current campy 8 speed ring,
> I don't see any difference in thickness...oh well thats what I get for
> jumping the gun. I forget where I saw on the web where they said to
> change the big ring but I can't really see any difference in the
> two...good thing I got it from Fleabay and didnt pay retail for
> it...after I get all my parts I will see if the 10 speed chain works ok
> with my "8 speed" big ring and post the results here. In fact i will
> probably not change my rear derailleur as some has suggested and see if
> that can shift the new 10 speed setup without any lag, although I had
> bought a new Record Carbon rear derail. 2 weeks ago on Fleabay as
> well.... Anyone else have microscopic vision to determine if the
> thickness is indeed really different? Thanks to the other posters on my
> "mix and match campy" thread, appreaciate it.

10s chainrings are the same thickness as 8s rings. 10s rings are offset
a wee bit toward the small ring to prevent the dreaded 'chain stuck
between rings' non-problem. Using a 10s chain on the 8s ring will work
fine and dandy. The very first 10s upgrade I did was on a DA 8s bike.
10s levers, rear der, new rear wheel, cogset and chain and even with a
DA 8s FD and 7401 crankset it worked famously well.

Chris M wrote:
> It is not thickness of the ring, it is width between the rings which is
> modified by removing width only where the chainring attaches to the
> spider.
>
> Not my opinion, FACT. Look closely and if it says "UD" in red, it will
> have that mod. Some others do as well, so I am not saying you are
> screwed in it doesn't but if there is no "UD" and no discernible
> difference where it attaches to the spider, then talk to your vendor
> about whether you got the wrong ring.

Not exactly.
Chainrings made starting in 2000 were '10s' rings but were not marked
'UD'(which means 'ultradrive', a mod made in 2003 to make shifting
better). Offset 10s rings started in 2000, first year of Campagnolo
10s. If they are marked '10s', they are offset a wee bit toward the
small ring by taking a wee bit of metal off where they are against the
crankarms.