Upgrade from SPD to ?

Mark Heiple

Guest
I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
(recessed cleat).

I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The cleat & pedal are so small, I
have a hard time getting in. I have to hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually have to
pull up to make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where they have pulled
out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke gets sloppy from being tired. On the plus
side, I can walk in the shoes (about the only plus).

So I'm looking for something that I can step into and go easily, or at least pedal without my foot
slipping off (like the SPDs do) if I'm not fully engaged. The large platform of Look or Time might
solve this.

I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out feet. Both of my feet turn out,
my right more than my left. My right cleat is turned to about the limit of its range on my shoe.

I'm looking mostly at Look and Time, and from past posts, these are my impressions:

Look advantages: lower cost, adjustable cleat, possibly easier entry/exit than time.

Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?

Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more directions, more rugged
cleat, my biking buddy likes them.

Time disadvantages: expensive, not many shoe options (Time only?), can't mount cleat to compensate
for turned out feet (but float compensates for this?). A little harder to walk in than Look.

I think both are weighted to hang in a consistant position, so I wouldn't have to worry about
flipping the pedal over with my toe before clicking in.

I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk in than look or time, since
the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount of
float they have?

I would get new shoes along with the pedals, so compatibility with an existing shoe is not an issue.
Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay extra for Time if the system is better.

Thanks.

I would go with the Looks. I tried the SPD's and found it hard to engage the pedal compared to Look.
My feet also turn out and I adjusted the cleats with no problem. Of course you don't want your ankle
bone to hit the crank so be careful. I periodically wipe some hand cream on the cleats and I have
had no squeaks. As for durability, I've had cleats last 2 years. I occasionally sand down the rough
edges but no problem at all. Look pedals have come down in weight too. I bought mine on EBay. There
are some great deals there. Z

be sure to check out the new shimano spd-sl pedals. essentially look knockoffs, but better built and
cheaper. i got my ultegra's for $95.

dookie

"Mark Heiple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> cleat, my biking buddy likes them.
>
> Time disadvantages: expensive, not many shoe options (Time only?), can't mount cleat to compensate
> for turned out feet (but float compensates for this?). A little harder to walk in than Look.
>
> I think both are weighted to hang in a consistant position, so I wouldn't have to worry about
> flipping the pedal over with my toe before clicking in.
>
> I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk in than look or time,
> since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount
> of float they have?
>
> I would get new shoes along with the pedals, so compatibility with an existing shoe is not an
> issue. Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay extra for Time if the system is better.

I've never used Time pedals, but LOOKs work well for me. Squeakiness seems to start only after the
cleats are pretty scraped up, and can usually be fixed by greasing the cleats. The cleats can be
positioned to accommodate your preferred foot angle. One thing to keep in mind, though, if kicking
out of the pedals during sprints is an issue for you, is that the lower-end LOOK pedals have
considerably lower maximum spring tension than the more expensive ones.

If I were looking for new pedals now, I would look at the new Shimanos as well. As "dookie" pointed
out, they are similar to LOOKs and may be better in some ways. I imagine the similar Campy pedals
are also worth checking out.

--Josh

Mark-<< I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
(recessed cleat).

I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time. >><BR><BR>

Look is a good choice, Time, we are three for three with problems of these...

Mark<< My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into.
>><BR><BR>

Speedplay, specifically the Zero-

Mark<< I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out feet. Both of my feet
turn out, my right more than my left. >><BR><BR>

Adjustable in both directions, floatwise-

Mark-<< Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more directions, more
rugged cleat, my biking buddy likes them. >><BR><BR>

Does he have the Impact? if so, durable cleat isn't one of them.

Mark-<< I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk

in than look or time, since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of
them with large amount of float they have?
>><BR><BR>

Not tru, use covers, don't judge a road pedal by walking ease..also Look at ZERO model.

Mark<< Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay extra for Time if the system is better. >><BR><BR>

Older Time isgone, all are Impact now and not a great pedal, IMO-

Mark Heiple <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
> (recessed cleat).
>
> I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

Hi, I went from an SPD [Shimano 324] to a road bike pedal and shoes. I now have the 324s on my old
road bike. I never had much problem with entry, after the first couple hundred miles, but did
experience hot spots. Could be the fault of my shoes. Anyway, after reading a bunch of reviews on
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Homecrx.aspx I went from my first choice of Look, to the Shimano
SPD-SL PD-R600. I got them at my LBS, but as dookie mentioned, they can be purchased on Ebay for
$87, plus shipping. In the reviews that I read, some people who had gone from Look to Shimanos, said
that the SPD-SL cleats were a little easier to walk in and no one mentioned squeeking. I have had
some bird noises come from my 324s and it really bothered me. So I wanted a quiet pedal. I have had
no problems of pulling out when unexpected and I have them adjusted to the least tension. As for
shoes, I got a good deal on a pair of Pearl Izumi Vortex, which I like a lot. And with the Shimano
or Look, you won't need an adaptor. I've got 565 miles on the pedals and shoes, with no problems,
noise, etc. So count me as another vote for the Shimano SPD-SL. Life is Good! Jeff

> My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The cleat & pedal are so small,
> I have a hard time getting in. I have to hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually have to
> pull up to make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where they have
> pulled out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke gets sloppy from being tired. On
> the plus side, I can walk in the shoes (about the only plus).
>
> So I'm looking for something that I can step into and go easily, or at least pedal without my foot
> slipping off (like the SPDs do) if I'm not fully engaged. The large platform of Look or Time might
> solve this.
>
> I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out feet. Both of my feet turn
> out, my right more than my left. My right cleat is turned to about the limit of its range on
> my shoe.
>
> I'm looking mostly at Look and Time, and from past posts, these are my impressions:
>
> Look advantages: lower cost, adjustable cleat, possibly easier entry/exit than time.
>
> Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?
>
> Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more directions, more rugged
> cleat, my biking buddy likes them.
>
> Time disadvantages: expensive, not many shoe options (Time only?), can't mount cleat to compensate
> for turned out feet (but float compensates for this?). A little harder to walk in than Look.
>
> I think both are weighted to hang in a consistant position, so I wouldn't have to worry about
> flipping the pedal over with my toe before clicking in.
>
> I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk in than look or time,
> since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount
> of float they have?
>
> I would get new shoes along with the pedals, so compatibility with an existing shoe is not an
> issue. Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay extra for Time if the system is better.
>
> Thanks.

Originally posted by Mark Heiple
I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
(recessed cleat).

Thanks.

Take a good look at any system that willl allow you to move you foot laterally.
SPD's are very rigid and do not allow much movement at all but are very good for the powerstroke in my case since i pull up as well as push the pedal down. This motion is possible with other pedals but Speedplays system has been described as "walking on ice" at times.
In my 17 years of cycling i have tried it all from toestraps to Look, Time, SPD, Speedplay - and it does feel like a slippery piece of soap you are walking.
Don't judge a system by how it will "walk" sine the least amount of time is spent walking.

I went from spds(sucked) to spd-rs(sucked more) to speed plays(which are very nice but I started
wearing grooves in them) to the "lance" dura ace pedal. The lance pedal is awesome but if you want
speedplays get the zero model. The zero cleat is different and won't wear grooves in your axle like
my X2 cleat did.

"Mark Heiple" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Mark Heiple <[email protected]> wrote:
: I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
: (recessed cleat).

I have 1-sided SPD pedals, few problems. Only on recumbents with low bottom bracket I get some hot
foot syndrome.

Maybe you could try road type SPD pedals. I have also cheap mountain type SPD pedals, which
release incredibly easily. (I use the sPD cleat that came with my first pedals, not the one that
came with these.)

: I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

Looking forward to riding Look here.

: Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?

A pair of Look cleats can go for $8. For $14 you can get covers for the cleats, so walking
is easier.

Cheapest Look pedals I saw were just $40.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

> Look is a good choice, Time, we are three for three with problems of these...

What problems are you seeing with Time? Durability, or function (problems clicking in/out,
float, etc.?)

> Speedplay, specifically the Zero-

I just checked roadbikereview.com, and there were some complaints about durability of the
pedals/cleats (started pulling out), and a smallish contact area. The "pedaling on ice" part sounded
like it might take some getting used to. Would it contribute to knee or ankle problems by allowing
bad knee/ankle positions?

> Mark-<< Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more directions, more
> rugged cleat, my biking buddy likes them. >><BR><BR>
>
> Does he have the Impact? if so, durable cleat isn't one of them.

His old bike had Time pedals (not sure which model, but his bike was about 6 years old). He just got
a new bike with the new Time Impact pedals. He doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but he likes the
pedals so far.

> Mark-<< I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk
>
> in than look or time, since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of
> them with large amount of float they have?
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Not tru, use covers, don't judge a road pedal by walking ease..also Look at ZERO model.

Do the speedplay use any road shoe, or do they require a special speedplay shoe?

Thanks.

"Mark Heiple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo) wrote:
>
> > Look is a good choice, Time, we are three for three with problems of
these...

> What problems are you seeing with Time? Durability, or function (problems clicking in/out,
> float, etc.?)
>

> > Speedplay, specifically the Zero-
>
> I just checked roadbikereview.com, and there were some complaints about durability of the
> pedals/cleats (started pulling out), and a smallish contact area. The "pedaling on ice" part
> sounded like it might take some getting used to. Would it contribute to knee or ankle problems by
> allowing bad knee/ankle positions?

The benefit of Speedplay (X1-3) is that your feet/knees find their "natural" position without
fighting springs/retention devices. When I was selling them I used to warn people about the riding
on ball bearings feeling. It takes about 7-10 rides for the feeling to disappear. After the initial
learning curve, they're one of the best pedals for entry/exit. Being two-sided, all you have to do
is find the cleat and step. No flipping, no squirming. The X series have light spring tension
holding you in, so all you do is turn far enough, and pop! you're out. I was training on the road
and racing these pedals at the track for a while and never had a problem pulling out. If your
pedaling motion is all funky, you may.

I've never tried the Zeros. I changed to SPD-Rs right before they came out. If I'd known... I really
don't care for the SPD-Rs, but I have 3 pair of them, so am stuck for the time being. The Zeros
probably don't have as big a problem with the pedaling on ball bearings feeling 'cause they don't
have as much float. Again, I haven't ridden this model, so am assuming here.

If you are concerned about "walkability" the Speedplays aren't the best. They're susceptible to
problems if you get dirt in the mechanism. The answer is either a. don't get off in the dirt, or
b. covers.

I'm trying to decide between the Zeros and SPD-SLs for my road/track bikes. I'm leaning towards the
SPD-SLs just because I've got D/A everything else...

Mike

Check out bebops. I picked up a set from Hitech bikes and love them. I have the mounted to Shimano
T092 "touring" shoes because I have to walk about 100 yards during my commute. I really like the
setup, the float takes a bit of getting used to (20 degrees), otherwise I haven't had problems with
them. They're pretty darn light too.

http://www.bebop.com

http://www.hi-techbikes.com/cgi/list.cgi?cat=Components

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 "The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by people who don't

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Heiple <[email protected]> writes:

>My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The cleat & pedal are so small,
>I have a hard time getting in. I have to hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually have to
>pull up to make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where they have pulled
>out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke gets sloppy from being tired. On the plus
>side, I can walk in the shoes (about the only plus).

What kind of pedals are you using? It sounds like my experience with the Onza HOs. So far my Shimano
pedals (515 and 858) have had no such problems.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

On 4 Sep 2003 23:35:25 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:
> Maybe you could try road type SPD pedals. I have also cheap mountain type SPD pedals, which
> release incredibly easily. (I use the sPD cleat that came with my first pedals, not the one that
> came with these.)

...Shimano cleat on Nashbar Special SPD pedals?

My worn Shimano cleat releases too easily from the Nashbar Special SPDs, but the brand new cleats
that came with the Nashbars work smoothly in both sets of pedals.

The only disadvantage is that the Nashbar cleats don't fit my shoes so nicely, require longer bolts,
but then the bolts, or possible the nut too, stick up a bit. The jury is still out on whether that
bothers my foot or not.

--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Heiple <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The cleat & pedal are so
> >small, I have a hard time getting in. I have to hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually
> >have to pull up to make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where they
> >have pulled out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke gets sloppy from being tired.
> >On the plus side, I can walk in the shoes (about the only plus).
>
> What kind of pedals are you using? It sounds like my experience with the Onza HOs. So far my
> Shimano pedals (515 and 858) have had no such problems.
>
> Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

I don't have the box any more and the name wore off, but I think they are Rockwerks MTB pedals. When
I got them, I was told they were just as good as Shimano but cheaper.

Mark Heiple <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > What kind of pedals are you using? It sounds like my experience with the Onza HOs. So far my
> > Shimano pedals (515 and 858) have had no such problems.
> >
> > Tom Gibb <[email protected]>
>
> I don't have the box any more and the name wore off, but I think they are Rockwerks MTB pedals.
> When I got them, I was told they were just as good as Shimano but cheaper.

I think they lied. I was out on my bike that has the Shimano SPD 324s and even though I hadn't
ridden the bike in about 7 weeks, I had no problem engaging the pedals. I still prefer the SPD-SLs
that I have on my LeMond, but if necessary I could easily live with the SPDs. Life is Good! Jeff

In article <[email protected]>, "dookie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> be sure to check out the new shimano spd-sl pedals. essentially look knockoffs, but better built
> and cheaper. i got my ultegra's for $95.
>
> dookie

I was at the LBS yesterday looking at pedals, and I think I've narrowed my choice down to either the
Shimano SPD-SL (probably Ultegra) or the Speedplay Zero.

All of the former Look guys at the LBS have switched to SPD-SL and like them a lot. Entry/exit
is just as easy as Look, cleats are much more walkable - they have a rubber coating that gives
some traction.

Do the pedals always hang down so you can always just step into them, or do you find yourself
flipping them over with your toe before you can clip in? The LBS guy says he is sometimes flipping
the pedal over.

The speedplays also look real nice - they sound like they have the easiest entry/exit of all. The
double sided pedal is also nice - don't have to worry about position, just step in.

The walkability of the speedplays sound a lot worse, and also rather maintenance intensive. From
what I've read, the Zeros are a big improvement over the X series for maintenance.

Has anyone tried glueing rubber feet on the speedplay cleats to try to improve traction? Metal on
concrete would be kind of slick...

Mark Heiple wrote:
> I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals, mountain bike shoes
> (recessed cleat).
>
> I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.
>
> My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The cleat & pedal are so small,
> I have a hard time getting in. I have to hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually have to
> pull up to make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where they have
> pulled out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke gets sloppy from being tired. On
> the plus side, I can walk in the shoes (about the only plus).
>
> So I'm looking for something that I can step into and go easily, or at least pedal without my foot
> slipping off (like the SPDs do) if I'm not fully engaged. The large platform of Look or Time might
> solve this.
>
> I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out feet. Both of my feet turn
> out, my right more than my left. My right cleat is turned to about the limit of its range on
> my shoe.
>
> I'm looking mostly at Look and Time, and from past posts, these are my impressions:
>
> Look advantages: lower cost, adjustable cleat, possibly easier entry/exit than time.
>
> Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?
>
> Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more directions, more rugged
> cleat, my biking buddy likes them.
>
> Time disadvantages: expensive, not many shoe options (Time only?), can't mount cleat to compensate
> for turned out feet (but float compensates for this?). A little harder to walk in than Look.
>
> I think both are weighted to hang in a consistant position, so I wouldn't have to worry about
> flipping the pedal over with my toe before clicking in.
>
> I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk in than look or time,
> since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount
> of float they have?
>
> I would get new shoes along with the pedals, so compatibility with an existing shoe is not an
> issue. Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay extra for Time if the system is better.
>
> Thanks.

It seems to me your main reasons for upgrading to a roadpedal will not be met. As far as I
understand SPD pedals are by far the easiest to click into. They are also very easy to click out of
but not by mistake. My road pedals ( SPD-SL) are much harder to get into and much harder to get out
of. The float in my SPD's is much bigger than on the -SL. If you're having problems with yours that
is probably because they are getting worn and need to be replaced or your pedal needs to be
maintained and set at the correct tension. If you don't experience enough float that may be because
you don't have the SH-51 cleat. If you have the SH-55 cleat I understand you are concerned because
it really sucks. You don't feel if you are attached and you can pull loose from any angle.

The reason I have roadpedals ( SPD-SL) on my roadbike is only because of the bigger platform that
gives me less pressure on my feet. Apart from that I would prefet my SPD pedals any day, especially
with my SH-M221 shoes with a carbon sole.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> It seems to me your main reasons for upgrading to a roadpedal will not be met. As far as I
> understand SPD pedals are by far the easiest to click into. They are also very easy to click out
> of but not by mistake. My road pedals ( SPD-SL) are much harder to get into and much harder to get
> out of. The float in my SPD's is much bigger than on the -SL. If you're having problems with yours
> that is probably because they are getting worn and need to be replaced or your pedal needs to be
> maintained and set at the correct tension. If you don't experience enough float that may be
> because you don't have the SH-51 cleat. If you have the SH-55 cleat I understand you are concerned
> because it really sucks. You don't feel if you are attached and you can pull loose from any angle.
>
> The reason I have roadpedals ( SPD-SL) on my roadbike is only because of the bigger platform that
> gives me less pressure on my feet. Apart from that I would prefet my SPD pedals any day,
> especially with my SH-M221 shoes with a carbon sole.

I think the one of the main problems that the OP has, is that he has some offbrand, crappy pedal.
But I disagree with a couple of things. The SH-55 doesn't suck, if you don't feel clipped in, adjust
your pedal. They have the same amount of float as the SH-51, but offer what Shimano calls
"Multi-Directional Release". I have never pulled out of my SPD pedal, unintentionally, using SH-55s.
There is a good chance that his off brand SPD style pedal isn't even compatable with Shimano cleats.
Or he may have, and I'm not sure of this, but isn't the SH-52 a non float SPD cleat. I have both SPD
pedals, on one bike and SPD-SL on my other bike. It may take a little longer to get used to the
SPD-SL, but they are not hard to get into or release, if adjusted properly. And with the SM-SH11 you
get 6 degrees of float, although you get 8 degrees with the SH-55/51. I'm not sure if float is as
much an issue for the OP, as being able to mount the cleat, to the shoe, at an angle. I have a
friend who has a pair of the two-sided Shimano SPD road pedals. Whatever model came with the '03
Giant OCR 1, I think they are the M505. He had a lot of trouble getting into them and when he
misses, he was banging up his shins. So, I think if you have a non platform verion of the SPD, they
can be difficult for some people. The bottom line is what works for one guy, might not work for the
next. He may be be very happy with a road pedal. I went to a road pedal, due to to getting the hot
spots with my SPDs. I probably could of solved that with a better shoe, Another thing, my friend
uses road shoes with his SPDs and finds them treacherous. With the Look style SM-SH11 cleat,
although clumsy to walk in, they are not slippery. Whatever the OP does, he should replace the
pedals that he has. That is just this man's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Life is Good! Jeff

> I think the one of the main problems that the OP has, is that he has some offbrand, crappy pedal.
> But I disagree with a couple of things. The SH-55 doesn't suck, if you don't feel clipped in,
> adjust your pedal. They have the same amount of float as the SH-51, but offer what Shimano calls
> "Multi-Directional Release". I have never pulled out of my SPD pedal, unintentionally, using
> SH-55s. There is a good chance that his off brand SPD style pedal isn't even compatable with
> Shimano cleats. Or he may have, and I'm not sure of this, but isn't the SH-52 a non float SPD
> cleat. I have both SPD pedals, on one bike and SPD-SL on my other bike. It may take a little
> longer to get used to the SPD-SL, but they are not hard to get into or release, if adjusted
> properly. And with the SM-SH11 you get 6 degrees of float, although you get 8 degrees with the
> SH-55/51. I'm not sure if float is as much an issue for the OP, as being able to mount the cleat,
> to the shoe, at an angle. I have a friend who has a pair of the two-sided Shimano SPD road pedals.
> Whatever model came with the '03 Giant OCR 1, I think they are the M505. He had a lot of trouble
> getting into them and when he misses, he was banging up his shins. So, I think if you have a non
> platform verion of the SPD, they can be difficult for some people. The bottom line is what works
> for one guy, might not work for the next. He may be be very happy with a road pedal. I went to a
> road pedal, due to to getting the hot spots with my SPDs. I probably could of solved that with a
> better shoe, Another thing, my friend uses road shoes with his SPDs and finds them treacherous.
> With the Look style SM-SH11 cleat, although clumsy to walk in, they are not slippery. Whatever the
> OP does, he should replace the pedals that he has. That is just this man's opinion. Take it for
> what it's worth. Life is Good! Jeff

I checked my shoes, and I have the SH-51 cleats. I'm willing to admit that that my pedals could be
very well be ****, but I still had problems with the SPD cleats before I got them.

My bike originally came with SPD road pedals (single sided, ICON I think). They were also a pain to
click into - same hunting around problem tryng to find it. Plus being single sided, and not
weighted in any way, I was always flipping them over. Seemed like they were always upside down when
trying to clip in.

That's why I got the Rockwerks - double sided. They solved the flipping the pedals over problem, but
not the hunting around problem. I finally got to the point where I could usually keep the hunting
around to a minimum, but still annoying.

Now that the pedals and/or cleats are worn enough that I'm pulling out, I want to try something else
instead of staying with SPD.