Upgrade older cannondale Hybrid

Ram

Guest
I've got a 91 H600 that's in need of another rebuilding at 40k miles. Right now it has all 21 speed
LX components with the rear spacing at the old mtn bike size of 130mm. All I see in that size now
are road hubs. Would it work to put an 8 or 9 speed Ultegra or 105 hub? If I went that route would
the matching road derailler work with the newer XT shifters? I imagine I'd also be needing a new
crankset and BB...or would I? I know the expense doesn't make all that much sense compared to a new
bike but after 12 yrs and all those miles I'm rather attached to this ride. Thanks

"RAM" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've got a 91 H600 that's in need of another rebuilding at 40k miles. Right now it has all 21
> speed LX components with the rear spacing at the old mtn bike size of 130mm. All I see in that
> size now are road hubs. Would it work to put an 8 or 9 speed Ultegra or 105 hub?

No problem.

> If I went that route would the matching road derailler work with the newer XT shifters?

Yes, as long as your gearing choices are within the range that a road mech can handle. Your old LX
derailleur would also work fine with the new shifters, assuming it's not worn out. A new MTB
derailleur would give you the widest range of gearing options.

Your old front derailleur will be fine, but if you decide to replace it you should get an MTB model.

> I imagine I'd also be needing a new crankset and BB... or would I?

No, your old ones should be fine.

James Thomson