upgrade on older bike

Nigel Heels

Guest
If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

I have a Cannondale Mad river, and am thinking to upgrade from down tube shifters to brake
shifters...

Is the frame a good one, right size, top notch material etc. The frame is the MOST important part
of the bike, so it has to be right. Other parts can be cheap & upgraded as they wear out, not so
the frame.

If your frame is OK, the usual first upgrade is a good set of wheels, but having moved from downtube
to Ergos some years ago, I've just upgraded my winter hack (last autumn) to ergos as well, you can't
beat 'em IMO. (I don't like all those Shimano cables out front, yuk, but they are meant to be
functionally v. good, you pays yer money......etc).

Niv.

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:59:18 -0400, "Nigel Heels" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

The engine :)

Guy
===

Nigel Heels deftly scribbled:

> If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

The fitness and fatness of the powerplant .. ;)

> I have a Cannondale Mad river, and am thinking to upgrade from down tube shifters to brake
> shifters...

Why not ? Seems sensible to me .. ;)

--
Digweed

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Nigel Heels" <[email protected]> wrote:
> If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

The rider.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

None I have already done it. My best bike has everything I need, my #2 bike is not the same spec but
does its job admirably. I have just replaced the brakes and chainset on #2, I would like it to have
STi like #1 but there are complications since it is so old. Sure they could be fixed but I might as
well get a whole new bike - which is what I did.

Nigel Heels wrote:

> If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

I'd throw away all those multifarious cogs and sprockets and related stull and replace them with a
Rohloff Speedhub 500/14...

Probably.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/