upgrade on older bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nigel Heels, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Nigel Heels

    Nigel Heels Guest

    If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    I have a Cannondale Mad river, and am thinking to upgrade from down tube shifters to brake
    shifters...

    Tags:

  2. Niv

    Niv Guest

    Is the frame a good one, right size, top notch material etc. The frame is the MOST important part
    of the bike, so it has to be right. Other parts can be cheap & upgraded as they wear out, not so
    the frame.

    If your frame is OK, the usual first upgrade is a good set of wheels, but having moved from downtube
    to Ergos some years ago, I've just upgraded my winter hack (last autumn) to ergos as well, you can't
    beat 'em IMO. (I don't like all those Shimano cables out front, yuk, but they are meant to be
    functionally v. good, you pays yer money......etc).

    Niv.

    "Nigel Heels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????
    >
    > I have a Cannondale Mad river, and am thinking to upgrade from down tube shifters to brake
    > shifters...

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:59:18 -0400, "Nigel Heels" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    The engine :)

    Guy
    ===

  4. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Nigel Heels deftly scribbled:

    > If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    The fitness and fatness of the powerplant .. ;)

    > I have a Cannondale Mad river, and am thinking to upgrade from down tube shifters to brake
    > shifters...

    Why not ? Seems sensible to me .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of "Nigel Heels" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    The rider.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Nigel Heels wondered:
    > > If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    prompting Guy to respond:
    > The engine :)

    You mean you'd get someone else to ride your bike for you. What fun would that be?

    Thomas Paine

  7. M Series

    M Series Guest

    None I have already done it. My best bike has everything I need, my #2 bike is not the same spec but
    does its job admirably. I have just replaced the brakes and chainset on #2, I would like it to have
    STi like #1 but there are complications since it is so old. Sure they could be fixed but I might as
    well get a whole new bike - which is what I did.

  8. Nigel Heels wrote:

    > If you could upgrade any part on your bike, what part would it be????

    I'd throw away all those multifarious cogs and sprockets and related stull and replace them with a
    Rohloff Speedhub 500/14...

    Probably.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/