Upgrade question

PJ2DMD

Jun 14, 2007
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like some advice please. I have a Trek 5000 that I purchased new in 1998 ($1800) and I'm considering upgrading it for the second time. Last year I put Kyserium wheels, speedplay pedals and a sella italia seat on it ($600). Now I'm considering getting rid of the stock forks, threaded quill-stem and headset and replacing with an Easton or Reynolds 1" fork, a Chris King nothread headset, and a longer stem. I'm also looking at replacing the stock handlebars with Easton EC70 to go from 42cm to 44cm. Obviously this is going to be another fairly large investment. I love the bike and it's still extremely light and fun to ride. I don't really want to drop 2k on a new bike either. What would you do?

Your previous upgrades will move from bike to bike (wheels, pedals, seat). With a relatively outdated (i.e. 1" steerer) frame, any money you sink into the bike will be less money for another one.

I'd spend money on transferable upgrades (long wearing parts like cranks), wear items (tires, chain, cassette), and "fit" parts (stem, bars). Then I'd get a frame/fork or a discounted older new bike and put your "cool" parts on that.

Your 1" steerer fork will probably not be as good as a 1 1/8 in strength or rigidity.

I say this because I have a 1" steerer frame (Giant Team TCR) that I ended up putting some money into and it wasn't worth it. The aftermarket fork (Reynolds, replacing the terrible stock fork) is flexier than the same Reynolds fork in 1 1/8".

hope this helps,
cdr

Hey thanks for the reply! I visited a few bike shops today and most of them told me that my frame is very good quality and will last for a long time. I brought up the 1 inch steerer concerns and they showed me that many of the newest triathlon bikes still use the 1 inch size. I hear you about being able to transfer the upgrades. I'm upgrading the handlebars and stem to Easton carbon. I'm still uncertain as to whether I'll do the forks and headset. I guess it'll be a little lighter than my stock carbon fork but I just don't know if it's worth it unless I find a really good deal. I welcome more advice on this topic. Thank you.

PJ2DMD said:
Hey thanks for the reply! I visited a few bike shops today and most of them told me that my frame is very good quality and will last for a long time. I brought up the 1 inch steerer concerns and they showed me that many of the newest triathlon bikes still use the 1 inch size. I hear you about being able to transfer the upgrades. I'm upgrading the handlebars and stem to Easton carbon. I'm still uncertain as to whether I'll do the forks and headset. I guess it'll be a little lighter than my stock carbon fork but I just don't know if it's worth it unless I find a really good deal. I welcome more advice on this topic. Thank you.
Triathlon bikes don't use 1" steerer tubes for strength or stiffness, though. They are used to make a smaller headtube on the frame, which in turn helps cut the air better. 1" steerer tubes on Tri bikes are mainly there to give the frame a slightly more aerodynamic profile.