Upgrade to 10 spd

hjbiker43

Aug 14, 2006
Updating from Shimano Ultegra 9spd to 10spd. I'll be changing out the RD (Dura Ace 7800), cassette, chain, and shifters (Ultegra). I'm planning on keeping the Ultegra 6500 9spd FD. Any problems running a 10spd chain through the FD? Thanks

hjbiker43 said:
Updating from Shimano Ultegra 9spd to 10spd. I'll be changing out the RD (Dura Ace 7800), cassette, chain, and shifters (Ultegra). I'm planning on keeping the Ultegra 6500 9spd FD. Any problems running a 10spd chain through the FD? Thanks
You don't need a new rear derailleur ... you can just use the hubbub.com alternate rear derailleur cable anchoring (at 3 o'clock) to replicate a Shimano 10-speed derailleur's indexing.

If your intention isn't to "order" everything at the same time from the same place, you may as well try your 6500 front derailleur to see if the shifting is acceptable to you ... probably not unless you have 6603 shifters (or, equivalent) so that you can pull the cage over that extra 0.1mm needed to get the chain to engage the pins/ramps.

hjbiker43 said:

All you 'need' for this upgrade is shifters, cassette and chain. The FD and RD will work fine with the 10s stuff. In fact, a 9s FD often works better with 10s than the 10s FD since it travels a little farther
per click and is easier to ensure there is no chain rub.