Upgrade to 2000 Haro Extreme EX2

pauls

Jul 21, 2003
Hi all,

I have a year 2000 Haro Extreme EX2 and the time is right for upgrading. I am overall pleased with the bike and have had no problems but just want to upgrade.

What would you recommend upgrading first? Groupset (currently Deore LX), Rear shock (Rock Shox Deluxe), Forks (Rock Shox Judy XC), Brakes (Diatech Spiral stop)etc.

Any advice gladly received

Thanks

Paul

Originally posted by pauls
I have a year 2000 Haro Extreme EX2 and the time is right for upgrading. I am overall pleased with the bike and have had no problems but just want to upgrade.

What would you recommend upgrading first? Groupset (currently Deore LX), Rear shock (Rock Shox Deluxe), Forks (Rock Shox Judy XC), Brakes (Diatech Spiral stop)etc.

What are you doing with your bike? I'll presume freeriding and DH'ing go somewhere in the plan based on the genre of bike.

I personally don't believe in upgrading things unless im unhappy with them, their worn, or broke etc.

But anyways... i'd do something about the fork first perhaps. Get a decent Marzocchi or perhaps a Manitou or Fox. RS really arent where its at anymore methinks.

The back shock could be upgraded if it's not to your liking, otherwise i'd leave it. I'd guess Fox, Manitou and 5th Element shocks would fit alright. Obviously gotta checks sizing etc.

The grouppo - you could go for XT shifters and rear derailer, which should give a noticeable gain in smoothness from the LX, but really, if your happy with the LX, I wouldn't bother.

For Brakes, i'm happy with V's, but I think discs are the go these days, especially in the wet. Does your frame have mounts for them? Upgrading the fork will automatically get you a mount in the front so thats not a problem.
Avid seem to make good mechanicals, so for mechanical id go with those.
Hydraulic are the next step up, but I think they need some maintainance and can be messy.
After reading comments, i'd stay away from Hayes. Sadly, pretty much all bikes equipped with Hydro discs these days come with nothing but hayes, but if I was upgrading seperately, i'd go for something else. Hope and Magura seem to be good products, from england and germany respectively.

Maybe if you gave some more info on what you are doing with your bike, and what your unhappy with (or what is breaking/broke etc) then we could help some more.

just my noobie opinion
-uDi