upgrade to STI

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Damo, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Damo

    Damo Guest

    I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they had to
    say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the downtube, or
    any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that what they
    all say :)

    Currently I've got Suntour front and back deuraillers, RX100 double crank and shimano 6speed
    cassette (haven't had a close look to see what series). I put velocity wheels, new handle bar/stem,
    seat + post a while ago so am reluctant to get a brand new bike. The frame (soverign star) is a
    little scratched, but is amazingly light and would look fine after a coat of paint. It's just a
    little-run around, just to get me to uni and back each day, and the occasional long ride on the
    weekends when I get time.

    I was looking at getting a SORA groupset. I've heard rumours of a gear cable boss clamp thingy that
    I could put on my downpipe but can't seem to find info on it. I guess all I need is a way of fixing
    the gear cable housing to the frame near the top of the downpipe.

    any info / websites / advice would be greatly appreciated.

    damo

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, damo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they had to
    >say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the downtube, or
    >any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that what they
    >all say :)

    This is certainly not true, but it may not be worth the money to upgrade it.

    >Currently I've got Suntour front and back deuraillers, RX100 double crank and shimano 6speed
    >cassette (haven't had a close look to see what series).

    I think this would require enough parts replacement that the upgrade is probably not worth the money
    unless the frame is very special to you.

    > I put velocity wheels, new handle bar/stem, seat + post a while ago so am reluctant to get a
    > brand new bike.

    That makes me wonder what kind of rear hub you have. Did you rebuild an old 6-speed cassette hub
    with new rims? Is it really an
    8/9 speed hub with 6 cogs on it? It would make a big difference in the feasibility of your plan if
    you have a modern hub.

    > The frame (soverign star) is a little scratched, but is amazingly light and would look fine after
    > a coat of paint. It's just a little-run around, just to get me to uni and back each day, and the
    > occasional long ride on the weekends when I get time.
    >
    >I was looking at getting a SORA groupset.

    You would be better off getting a Sora-equipped bike and if you really like your frame better, sell
    the Sora bike's frame immediately. Low-end component groups are not generally seen at good prices in
    the aftermarket compared to on new complete bikes.

    > I've heard rumours of a gear cable boss clamp thingy that I could put on my downpipe but can't
    > seem to find info on it.

    Such things definitely exist. In fact you can often take the cable stops designed for the down-tube
    braze-on style mounts and then mount them onto the clamp from an old set of clamp-on shifters.

  3. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    A Random User writes:

    > I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they had to
    > say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the downtube, or
    > any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that what they
    > all say :)
    >
    > Currently I've got Suntour front and back deuraillers, RX100 double crank and shimano 6speed
    > cassette (haven't had a close look to see what series). I put velocity wheels, new handle
    > bar/stem, seat + post a while ago so am reluctant to get a brand new bike. The frame (soverign
    > star) is a little scratched, but is amazingly light and would look fine after a coat of paint.
    > It's just a little-run around, just to get me to uni and back each day, and the occasional long
    > ride on the weekends when I get time.
    >
    > I was looking at getting a SORA groupset. I've heard rumours of a gear cable boss clamp thingy
    > that I could put on my downpipe but can't seem to find info on it. I guess all I need is a way of
    > fixing the gear cable housing to the frame near the top of the downpipe.

    Clamp-on DT bosses are a kludge.

    STI isn't going to improve your life, or your cycling performance. And it'll make your bike more of
    a target for the thieves at school.

    Stay with the DT shifters and be happy.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "damo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they had to
    > say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the downtube, or
    > any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that what they
    > all say :)
    >
    > Currently I've got Suntour front and back deuraillers, RX100 double crank and shimano 6speed
    > cassette (haven't had a close look to see what series). I put velocity wheels, new handle
    > bar/stem, seat + post a while ago so am reluctant to get a brand new bike. The frame (soverign
    > star) is a little scratched, but is amazingly light and would look fine after a coat of paint.
    > It's just a little-run around, just to get me to uni and back each day, and the occasional long
    > ride on the weekends when I get time.
    >
    > I was looking at getting a SORA groupset. I've heard rumours of a gear cable boss clamp thingy
    > that I could put on my downpipe but can't seem to find info on it. I guess all I need is a way of
    > fixing the gear cable housing to the frame near the top of the downpipe.
    >
    > any info / websites / advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > damo

    Hmm, a tough one. If you really want to go STI, your lbs should be able to order the proper parts
    from one of their suppliers. Sounds like they don't really WANT to is the problem.

    If you can afford it, keep the campus bike a campus bike and buy a used "racing" bike for your
    weekend jaunts. Since the #1 place for bikes to get stolen is on college campuses, you don't want
    your pride and joy to end up in someone else's garage. I built a Motobecane up out of spare parts
    strictly to ride back and forth to school, just so my nice bikes wouldn't tempt anyone.

    Going used may be the only way you can get something decent for not a lot of $$...

    The mechanics at your lbs are probably the best bet for used parts locally. After that,
    www.roadbikereview.com, www.bikereview.com, or rec.bicycles.marketplace are good places to keep an
    eye out for stuff.

    Mike

  5. damien-<< I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they
    had to say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the
    downtube, or any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that
    what they all say :)

    We all don't say this-There are ways to clamp on a band or bosses to the downtube for the cable
    stops for STI or ERGO. Just find a bike shop that knows something.

  6. Harris

    Harris Guest

    damo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm looking to upgrade my bike to STI, and went and took it to my lbs to see what they had to
    > say. Apparently, due to the old frame, I don't have cable bosses near the top of the downtube, or
    > any lugs to attach to. He was pretty much saying that I needed a new bike (isn't that what they
    > all say :)

    You have to check the rear dropout spacing. It's probably 126 mm. If your frame is steel, it can
    be spread to the 130 mm required for modern systems. If the frame is Alu, I wouldn't bother
    upgrading. In fact, depending on the fit and quality of the frame, it may not make sense to
    upgrade a steel frame.

    I upgraded my old steel bike, but it was of good quality, fit me perfectly, and I had a certain
    emotional attachment to it. ;->

    Art Harris

  7. Rb

    Rb Guest

    If you can't find this at a LBS, you could check out the beat-up bike selection at a local Salvation
    Army or Goodwill store. I found a usable downtube clamp-on (with a bike attached) for about $20.

    r.b.

    [email protected] (damo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I was looking at getting a SORA groupset. I've heard rumours of a gear cable boss clamp thingy
    > that I could put on my downpipe but can't seem to find info on it. I guess all I need is a way of
    > fixing the gear cable housing to the frame near the top of the downpipe.
    >
    > any info / websites / advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > damo

  8. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "rb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If you can't find this at a LBS, you could check out the
    beat-up bike
    > selection at a local Salvation Army or Goodwill store. I
    found a
    > usable downtube clamp-on (with a bike attached) for about
    $20.

    > r.b.
    >
    > [email protected] (damo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > I was looking at getting a SORA groupset. I've heard
    rumours of a
    > > gear cable boss clamp thingy that I could put on my
    downpipe but can't
    > > seem to find info on it. I guess all I need is a way of
    fixing the
    > > gear cable housing to the frame near the top of the
    downpipe.

    > > any info / websites / advice would be greatly
    appreciated.

    > > damo

    Or you might be able to find some friction downtube shifters which include the downtube clamp on
    eBay.... There's a pair of Suntour - with clamp - right now -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271467360 &category=36140