Upgrades (CF seatpost) or better crankset

rutamike

Sep 11, 2003
Hi folks,
I just bought an Aluminum bike with Carbon fibre forks and Shimano 105 triple crank.
My question is, what's my best upgrade. a) Ultegra double crank ( better and prettier) or b) carbon fibre seat post (softer ride??).
Anybody have any other suggestions, I ride mostly club rides, don't race at this point.
Thanks.
Mike

Originally posted by rutamike
Hi folks,
I just bought an Aluminum bike with Carbon fibre forks and Shimano 105 triple crank.
My question is, what's my best upgrade. a) Ultegra double crank ( better and prettier) or b) carbon fibre seat post (softer ride??).
Anybody have any other suggestions, I ride mostly club rides, don't race at this point.
Thanks.
Mike
I would not waste my money on either one. Run a few less PSI in the tires, or save up for a softer riding frame. why did you buy a triple,if you want a double? Just take off the granny ring and save some bucks, and a few grams.

Agree on the tires as boudreaux says. If you want to spend money for an improved ride, my suggestion would be a elastomer suspension seat rather than a carbon seatpost. Haven't tried 'em, but the Selle Italia ProLink looks interesting. It's still not going to make a stiff frame ride great, but may tune out some of the harshness.

Concerning the triple, if you have steep hills on your club rides, you may find you like it. I go up hills in a "pretty" Ultegra double now, but my next bike will have a triple just for those times when I don't want to go to max HR and grind it out.

Besides, passing your riding buds on the final steep climb of the day in your triple just might be fun.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
If you want to spend money for an improved ride, my suggestion would be a elastomer suspension seat rather than a carbon seatpost. Haven't tried 'em, but the Selle Italia ProLink looks interesting. It's still not going to make a stiff frame ride great, but may tune out some of the harshness.
I replaced an aging Koobi Si saddle with a Selle Italia Turbomatic4 - on my old aluminium frame (Columbus Altec) it made a BIG difference to transmitted roadshock. New frame is EL-OS (a highly underrated tubeset) and the ride with the Turbomatic is buttery smooth - much less fatigue experienced, especially on longer rides and poorer road surfaces. Amazing how the extra comfort adds to peformance as well as enjoyment.