Upgrades to entry level MTBs and Comfort Bikes

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
From time to time I am asked to do minor component/performance upgrades on entry level bikes. I will add the details of each project here as they happen.

Today's example:
Giant Upland Ladies XS 14" http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/03...007&model=10105
Fit Conti City Contact 26x1.5 Tyres and Presta Valve Tubes.
Swap Cassette to Sunrace 11-24 7 Speed.
Swap Crankset to 28/38/48 with 152mm Cranks.
Swap Pedals to alloy MTB and fit Strapless Toe Clips.
Swap Seatpost to Suspension Post with a reversable head.
Swap Stem to 90mm adjustable.
Cut bars to 540mm, fit Foam Grips and adjust lever reach.

The bike ends up lower, lighter and fitting a sub 5' lady rider very well and is considerably faster than the original at a fraction of the cost of a road bike. ;)

gclark8 said:
From time to time I am asked to do minor component/performance upgrades on entry level bikes. I will add the details of each project here as they happen.

Today's example:
Giant Upland Ladies XS 14" http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/03...007&model=10105
Fit Conti City Contact 26x1.5 Tyres and Presta Valve Tubes.
Swap Cassette to Sunrace 11-24 7 Speed.
Swap Crankset to 28/38/48 with 152mm Cranks.
Swap Pedals to alloy MTB and fit Strapless Toe Clips.
Swap Seatpost to Suspension Post with a reversable head.
Swap Stem to 90mm adjustable.
Cut bars to 540mm, fit Foam Grips and adjust lever reach.

The bike ends up lower, lighter and fitting a sub 5' lady rider very well and is considerably faster than the original at a fraction of the cost of a road bike. ;)
that's awsome the you provide such a service

most bike shops couldn't care less

The bike is almost finished. 90mm off the bars! :eek:

Just waiting on the short Foam Grips and the Suspension Seat Post with the reversable head, should be in on Friday.

I will cut the steerer tube and trim the brake and gear cables after the Lady has test riden the bike. ;)

What I find interesting is that doing a lot of these things is well within the abilities of the average bike owner, yet a lot of them don't seem to realise that you can make a few simple cheap alterations to your bike and considerably improve things.

Cutting the handlebars - Did you do it with just a plain old hacksaw, or is there a need for something more advanced?

matagi said:
What I find interesting is that doing a lot of these things is well within the abilities of the average bike owner, yet a lot of them don't seem to realise that you can make a few simple cheap alterations to your bike and considerably improve things.
Exactly! That's why I post the projects, I'm no one special. :eek:

Cutting handle bars, alloy or steel, I use a tube cutter I got from the hardware shop, a hacksaw makes too much mess. ;)

The Lady owner came over and test rode the bike, all good, I will leave the steerer tube long for a few weeks but cut all the cables tomorrow.

She decided to fit a rack, but the bottle cage won't fit the 14" ladies frame in the usual spot, so we mounted two bottle cages on the vertical support tubes for the rack. :cool:

Today, brake and gear cables. My LBS had some DA outer gear casing, so the bike now has nice grey gear cables, cut the brake casings, no rubbing, a much cleaner look round the bars and nice smoothe runs. :)

Since following George's forum posts and discussing his conversion work, I've been 'recommending' the concept of a 'affordable quality MTB' with road tyre conversion to other people, however the response has been mostly comments like:

"oh that won't work... only a road bike performs like a road bike"

"how can such a low cost setup compete with a 'proper' road bike?"

"don't you realise that a MTB with road tyres will never be as good as a road bike?"

I find the comments rather amusing actually. Some people think that a bike made for the dirt just can't perform on the street.

Thanks to George, I've now become a 'convert' of low-cost biking. A month ago, I had a $2000+ Bianchi race-bike on the shopping list, but not anymore... There's just as much fun to be had for ¼ of the price!

:)

If all the scoffers could see me now! A modified Giant Upland for no more than $600 tops working with parts from the most expensive bike shop- obviously I couldn't have done it without George's expertise. His blood is worth bottling! As soon as I tried it ( I am still waiting on the grips and seatpost - borrowed one to try), I commented - "This feels like a road bike!"

What is more, I have been unable to buy a flat bar road bike in my size as I am only 5'. If I wanted to spend a little more in upgrades, I could get something quite comparable to my Felt and possibly better performance wise, as the Felt is only 8 speed.

I have been talking in depth with George all the way through this project, and I believe it is the way to go for the sake of my shoulders and neck also, as I am considering running the front nearly as high as Giant had supplied it. We have put in an adjustable stem anyway.

Thankyou for your words of encouragement! You have seen the possibilities of having fun for a reasonable price. This way when you decide you want to go past entry level bikes, you will have a thorough understanding of what you need in a bike and will not have wasted big bikkies along the way!

gclark8 said:
From time to time I am asked to do minor component/performance upgrades on entry level bikes. I will add the details of each project here as they happen. ;)
G'Day.

I'm brand new to the forums and to Biking. I guess after 30+ years without one I can say that with confidence.:)

I bought a Giant Elwood, less than 24 hours ago.with the idea of turning it into a serious tourer. I would appreciate some tips along the lines of the other Giant mod you describe. It's a Mens 19".

Suitable equipment advice would also be welcome. I have Topeak rear touring rack with their largest Tank Bag w/panniers and a good size Wedge Bag atm. Looking to add front rack, panniers etc., and perhaps a trailer.

The plan is to head into the West, either to Perth via Darwin then down through the Red Center or the same route in reverse, given about 18 months to prepare.

All advice is welcome. Tah

Cheers. ozylynx:)

Friday, at last, the remaining bits arrived today.

Seat Post, suspension type with the reversable head, managed to get the desired 480mm top tube length with the clamp rearward and the seat slid forward, I can get 440-460mm with the clamp mounted forward.

Fitted a stem spacer to the top of the steerer tube, the adjustable stem was lower than the original steel stem by 10mm.

All that's left now is the Soft Foam Grips, Jackie can choose them tomorrow when she picks up the bike. Black in two lengths and textures and Light Blue and Red. The Red will give the bike a more girly appearance, closer to pink by my eye. They all come with matching Coloured Plugs for the bar ends. :cool:

Thanks for all the nice comments. I will try to keep you all amused with my projects. I tried to E-mail ozylynx about his Elwood, but the Server knocked it back.

Back to Jackie's Felt now... fitting a gear position indicator to the rear STI Cable.

gclark8 said:
I tried to E-mail ozylynx about his Elwood, but the Server knocked it back.
Hmmm. I don't know what could have happened. All looks fine here in config.

Thanks for the effort anyway mate. I'll make it all work somehow.:)

Cheers. ozylynx:)

gclark8 said:
I will try to keep you all amused with my projects.
Hey George, after you did the changes to the Upland project-bike, was the bike much lighter than in standard form?

BikeBloke said:
Hey George, after you did the changes to the Upland project-bike, was the bike much lighter than in standard form?
Yes, Most of the weight came off the tyres, the steel stem and bars and steel seat post. However for the bars I used the Rabbi, circumcision rather than alloy, ;) maintaining some dead weight over the front axle.

I will try the e_mail again over the weekend and send some ideas off to ozylynx. :cool:

Bike Finished!

Jackie chose the Red Soft Foam Grips, looks good, there are red flashes on the frame tubes.

Weight could have been lower by choosing a lighter Seat Post, Seat Clamp and alloy bars, but still around 12.5kg on the old bathroom scales with the rack and two bottle cages.

Next, have a rest for a few days... ;)

Sorry, no digital camera. :eek:

It will be here until Sunday Night, you are welcome to call over and have a look. Jackie decided not to transport it home in the rain tonight.

Another little project today:
Giant Boulder, 2004, Ladies 17", rigid forks:
Previously I had changed the tyres to 26x1.5" Duro City Slicks, 65psi.
Re-fitted a Uno Suspension Seat Post and Adaptor,
Swapped a 7 speed 14-28 spin on cartridge for a 11-28,
Cut 40mm off the bars,
Reset the seat height, forward position and the lever angle to get a better fit for the lady. Now quite a quick ladies bike for the local paths. (48-11 top gear and slicks) :cool:

We have pix!

Thanks to Jackie's #2 son, a camera! :D

See previous posts, #1 or #2 for a full list of parts.