Upgrades to entry level MTBs and Comfort Bikes

Update; Several projects on the go at the moment:

Restore a 1980s 10 speed Gordonson steel bike for a loan bike. (it went out today)

Tidy up a 1050s ladies bike, upgrade with brakes. :eek:

Upgrade a Diamondback MTB for Road Touring, 28/38/48 crankset, 11-24 cassette, new Chain & Front Derailleur.

gclark8 said:
The seat post will be 30.8mm diameter, there are some light alloy ones around.

V brakes should be adjusted to suit the new rins.

Shimano make an 8 speed hub (freehub body) for that wheel, I have one here.
I went to the LBS yesterday and the mechanic told me he had never heard of 30.8 - he did have a selection of 30.9 and 30.6mm seatposts. Which one would be better?

xxamr_corpxx said:
Change of plans - When I picked up the Elwood the back hub was busted (still a very good deal though even without the back hub).

I've put two 700 x 23 wheels on with WTB Caminos, and they seem to work fine although the V-brakes will need a few hours of adjusting. The original 14-34 cassette has been replaced with the 11-23 from my old roadie.

I still need to put on a flat bar and a lower stem, but there are a few things I need some technical help on :

The suspended seatpost weights a ton and seems to be fatter than my road bike's seat posts. I would like to replace it with a lighter one. What's the best way to go about this?
I just wonder why did you buy the Elwood in the first place - seems that there's a lot work to be done ... wheels, casette, seatpost, handle bar... why didn't you just buy a new flat-bar bike. If you like Giant frames (I susct you do, if you're willing to do so many upgrades on the Elwood) then CRX4 would be just fine and would cost only some $200 more than a new Elwood (just guessing)...??

Cheapo deal from a friend, got it almost for free and I had an old set of 6 spd wheels that had been sitting aside for years. Basically it's something I'd like to build up as a cheap commuter. I've done the project costings, and if I purchased the seatpost 2nd hand it would cost me less than a good dinner.

xxamr_corpxx said:
............ if I purchased the seatpost 2nd hand it would cost me less than a good dinner.
For Elwoods and the like, I use a Kalloy 27.2 Suspension Seatpost and a Silver Alloy Adaptor 27.2-30.8mm #750811 from Giant. (This week, fitted to a Rincon) :)

I finished the Elwood today...

The handlebars were taken off a Malvern star 10 speed MTB, stripped and spraypainted. It's quite heavy but it weighed less than the riser bars that were on it before. Also it turned out the stem was adjustable so I didn't need a new one. The suspension seatpost was replaced by a 30.6mm alloy seatpost (guess it worked). I took off the plushy OEM saddle and put a 20 year old Sella Italia leather one on instead.

I went for a ride on it and it feels positively zippy for a hybrid and even more comfortable. I think the main differences was the seatpost and shedding all that weight from the wheels.

gclark8 said:
Update; Several projects on the go at the moment:

Restore a 1980s 10 speed Gordonson steel bike for a loan bike. (it went out today)

Tidy up a 1950s ladies bike, upgrade with brakes. :eek:

Upgrade a Diamondback MTB for Road Touring, 28/38/48 crankset, 11-24 cassette, new Chain & Front Derailleur.
Further to the above:

The 1950s ladies bike had shot wheel rims 26x1 3/8, rust, so went to a a friend for a garden ornament. I still have the new 26x1 3/8 Tyres and Tubes (37x590) for it. :eek:

The 1980s 10 speed Gordonson steel bike came back from loan and the front hub was a bit loose. Further inspection revealed a cracked hub at the bearing contact point, sotihs afternoon I purchased a new pair of ALLOY 27x1 1/4 wheels! The old wheels have a Shimano Uniglide hub and Cassette, so they are free to anyone in Perth to pick up.

The Diamondback is just waiting on a new front axle kit and bearings.

Another 10 speed ladies bike is waiting in the wings. ;)

OK, got more stuff for my apollo

slowly collecting more parts...

recently recieved my SRAM X9 shifters and rear deralleur and new HG73 chain and PG990 rear cassette... these will go on once i decide on what rims to go with

what do you recommend? seem the WTB dual duty are strong and effective, but no necessarily light. With my 105 kg and somewhat liking for rough tracks and gutters, i thought i should go for strong rather than super light

any other suggestion for rims

must have rim brake capacity

robalert said:
OK, got more stuff for my apollo

slowly collecting more parts...

recently recieved my SRAM X9 shifters and rear deralleur and new HG73 chain and PG990 rear cassette... these will go on once i decide on what rims to go with

what do you recommend? seem the WTB dual duty are strong and effective, but no necessarily light. With my 105 kg and somewhat liking for rough tracks and gutters, i thought i should go for strong rather than super light

any other suggestion for rims

must have rim brake capacity

Velocity Deep V

Not sure if this counts as an upgrade, but I've put panniers onto my road bike for commuting. It's a huge step up from backpacks, I sweat a lot less, and it's significantly more comfortable. It may well be the best $25 I've ever spent.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Not sure if this counts as an upgrade, but I've put panniers onto my road bike for commuting. It's a huge step up from backpacks, I sweat a lot less, and it's significantly more comfortable. It may well be the best $25 I've ever spent.
i used to use panniers all the time, on my longer commute, but these days for short commutes, i find backpack is great

you can throw you bike around alot better unloaded and obviously you feel as though you ride lighter

i have 3 racks sitting in the garage and couple of set of panniers

robalert said:
i used to use panniers all the time, on my longer commute, but these days for short commutes, i find backpack is great

you can throw you bike around alot better unloaded and obviously you feel as though you ride lighter

i have 3 racks sitting in the garage and couple of set of panniers
I keep a cargo/wet weather bike with panniers and mudguards and a road bike to be used with a small rucksack on most days. If it's more than 2 or 3 kg, I'd rather have it on the bike.

Many bikes have come and gone over the past couple of months.

Today's project is to comvert my Wheeler Sprint Bike back to a dedicated Tri Bike in order to sell it in the tri commuity.

Frameset: Wheeler T-63 54cm 650c:
Including:
Shimano 105 Headset,
Shimano 105 Brake Levers,
Wheeler Time Trial Base Bar,
Profile Stem
Shimano 118mm sealed BB,
Alloy bottle cage.

Promax BR-451 AG F & R dual pivot road brake calliper set:

Shimano FD-R443A 8 speed triple front derailleur, braze on mount:

Shimano RD-6500GS Ultegra 9/8 speed triple rear derailleur:

KMC Z92 Chain, 8 speed

Tracer Crankset, Double 42/52, 170mm

Sunrace Cassette 11-24 8 speed

Sunrace Grip Shifter, 8 Speed

Sunrace Grip Shifter, 3 Speed friction

Trans-X Tri Bars, Fully Adjustable

VP Road Pedals with toe clips & straps

Velo Saddle, Pro Series, Black/Yellow, with cut out

Kalloy Seat Post, 350mm x 27.2mm Silver

Kalloy Seat Post Clamp, 31.8mm, Silver

Training Wheels:
2 Second hand 650c Deep-V wheels and 1 Conti tyre:
1 Conti Ultra Gator Skin slick 650c:
2 Conti Race 650 tubes:
32 Velocity Veloplugs:

Total 8 speed price: $POA

Rob thats a really new looking "old" bike. Very nice.

George, will you embark on another project to replace the wheeler?

I have just sold my Apollo commuter, and trying to sell my Cerevlo One frame.

Next project to build up a Surly or similar steel tourer frame.

Going to have to ride with a backpack until I get my next tourer/commute bike. The only gripe I have with panniers is that on a shopping trip, they are not easy to carry around. I have been thinking about making some straps to carry the pannier bags around.

Anyone have any idea how to make carry straps for Deuter Rack packs 2, or Uni Rack pack?

thomas_cho said:
Anyone have any idea how to make carry straps for Deuter Rack packs 2, or Uni Rack pack?
No idea, but if you go to Bunnings you can buy various sized D-rings and those quick release clips (don't know the name for it). Go to a material store and you should be able to buy straps in the desired length. Take the lot to a seamstress and have her sew it together on the ends.

thomas_cho said:
Rob thats a really new looking "old" bike. Very nice.

George, will you embark on another project to replace the wheeler?

I have just sold my Apollo commuter, and trying to sell my Cerevlo One frame.

Next project to build up a Surly or similar steel tourer frame.

Going to have to ride with a backpack until I get my next tourer/commute bike. The only gripe I have with panniers is that on a shopping trip, they are not easy to carry around. I have been thinking about making some straps to carry the pannier bags around.

Thanks Thomas. You sold you Apollo?? Gosh, how much you get for that.

In addition to the photo I took, I now have purchase a new rear rim too. So ready to go on to the new rim (Sun Blackeye rim with Novatec hub) a new SRAM 990 cassette (sweet!) and then new ensemble, SRAM X-9 rear derailleur and shifter pod. Leaving the old front wheel alone because it seems lightish anyway and perfectly true.

New photos to come soon.