Upgrades

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
I have my bike at my LBD who is installing my new crank set for me as I did not have the tools to take off the old one or install the new one. So, later today I'll have larger chain rings to provide a higher gear ratio. I looked around when I was there yesterday and bit the bullet. I have been thinking about a SMP seat for several months but had not wanted to part with the high number of dollars and take a chance on the seat working for me. I was surprized when the LBS offered a 90 day return OK on the seat if I did not like it and a price that was competative with what I have seen on ebay and at online shops.

So I'll have a new crank set and a new SMP seat this evening.

Mark

MarkInNC said:

Mark
I know you've had issues with the standard mountain bike gearing for quite a while, so this should be a welcome change. Please let us know your results. Thanks!

I picked the bike up late last night, I test road it in the rain at the dealer and all worked.

It is still raining this morning and I took the bike out for just a short ride and so far so good. The seat feels good though I need to take a couple of longer rides. The new chain ring sizes seem great.

Mark

MarkInNC said:
I have my bike at my LBD who is installing my new crank set for me as I did not have the tools to take off the old one or install the new one. So, later today I'll have larger chain rings to provide a higher gear ratio. I looked around when I was there yesterday and bit the bullet. I have been thinking about a SMP seat for several months but had not wanted to part with the high number of dollars and take a chance on the seat working for me. I was surprized when the LBS offered a 90 day return OK on the seat if I did not like it and a price that was competative with what I have seen on ebay and at online shops.

Mark

Gale force winds kept me off the bike yesterday. I did get a ride in today in 15-20 mph winds. There was too much wind for me to tell if the higher gear will help. I stopped twice and made small adjustments to the new SMP seat and it is really going to do work out, I think. Not only is it more comfortable and my first real ride on it did not cause numbness, but I dont slip forward in the saddle.

A curious change in my ride was that the bike is much smoother. I am not sure what changed the smoothness of the bike, maybe the new chain.

Mark

MarkInNC said:
I picked the bike up late last night, I test road it in the rain at the dealer and all worked.

It is still raining this morning and I took the bike out for just a short ride and so far so good. The seat feels good though I need to take a couple of longer rides. The new chain ring sizes seem great.

Mark

Even in good weather, I'm sure it will take a bit of time to adjust to the upgrades. Feel free to post updates as you go.