Upgrading 7 Speed Shimano 105 to 9 Speed Ultegra

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe, May 16, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I own an early 1990s road bike with Shimano 105 (7 speed) components.
    I'd like to upgrade some of the components (lighter wheels, 9 speeds).
    What components will I need to fully upgrade the bike to 9 speed
    Ultegra specs? Is it even possible to upgrade a 7 speed to 9 speed
    specs?

    Thanks in advance--

    Tags:

  2. chicago-<< What components will I need to fully upgrade the bike to 9 speed
    Ultegra specs? Is it even possible to upgrade a 7 speed to 9 speed
    specs? >><BR><BR>

    If the frameset is stell, you may have to have the rear end spaced to 130mm,
    Then a new rear hub that can accpet 9s cogs, right shifter and rear der...rear
    der cuz I recommend Campagnolo Centaur or Veloce, Rear hub, shifter set, rear
    der...10s as well.

    I would stay away from ultegra,. it is going to go thru a major change in
    2005(late 2004 actually) and a lot of ultegra is going to become obsolete,
    then scarce..Ultegra is pretty scarce right now.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Joe wrote:

    > I own an early 1990s road bike with Shimano 105 (7 speed) components.
    > I'd like to upgrade some of the components (lighter wheels, 9 speeds).
    > What components will I need to fully upgrade the bike to 9 speed
    > Ultegra specs? Is it even possible to upgrade a 7 speed to 9 speed
    > specs?

    Easy enough if the frame is steel. Get the rear end stretched from
    126mm to 130mm by a framebuilder or do it yourself (the latter won't
    leave the dropouts perfectly vertical, but you'd be pushed to notice).

    You'll need a new rear wheel build with a 9 speed hub and a 9 speed
    cassette, and new shifters. The cheapest are Dura-Ace downtube levers,
    which are really rather nice if you're used to shifting this way. Or
    you can go the STI route like all the boy racers.

    I changed the crankset and BB but you shouldn't really need to. The old
    front mech is just fine. I also changed the rear mech because the old
    one was getting on in years, but the 7 speed mech should be OK; the
    sideways movement for a given amount of cable pull is the same for all
    recent Shimano mechs.

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:19:50 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You'll need a new rear wheel build with a 9 speed hub and a 9 speed
    >cassette, and new shifters.

    You only need a 8/9sp hub body. If you space your hub for 128 mm, you
    won't need a new axel or to widen the frame. If you'd like, you can
    keep your 7sp hub body and put 8 of 9 cogs from a 9sp cassette on.

    You'll need a 9sp chain. I'd recommend barends before downtube
    shifters.