rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Upgrading a 26" to a 29" wheel

Started by chrome · · Last activity · 5 posts · 189 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 September 2007
Last activity
26 September 2007
Original author
chrome
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
189
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I built my triangle frame uni, I left 2" of clearance between the
    seat post and rear brace tubes. I currently have a Duro 26" X 3" tire
    which has an outside diameter of ~28". My shaft collars are designed
    for a KH Moment hub.

    The questions is: can I build up a 29" XC or cruising wheel, that will
    fit inside my frame? It would be really cool just to swap out wheel
    assemblies and have a 29er with shorter cranks. What is the outside
    diameter of a KH 29" tire.

    Cr

    --
    chrome
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chrome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64416

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Ok, cool.
    So now I'm thinking, if the difference between my current set-up and an
    entire wheel build is about 1 1/2" of tire diameter. I have 165mm
    cranks. Wouldn't it be more economical just to put shorter cranks on to
    arrive at the same ratio of crank length to tire circumference as a
    29er?

    The KH 29" has stock cranks at 125/150mm. Any mathematicians out
    there?

    Cr.

    --
    chrome
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chrome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64416

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. chrome said:

    So now I'm thinking, if the difference between my current set-up and an
    entire wheel build is about 1 1/2" of tire diameter. I have 165mm
    cranks. Wouldn't it be more economical just to put shorter cranks on to
    arrive at the same ratio of crank length to tire circumference as a
    29er?

    Shorter cranks may be easier to spin faster, but you still have to spin
    more times on a 26" wheel than you would on a 29" wheel to travel a
    given distance.

    When you say you want an "XC or cruising wheel," I'm assuming you want
    to ride longer distances on the road and maybe light trails. If that's
    the case, I would work my way down from 125mm cranks, unless you're
    already comfortable with shorter. A 29er with 125s was my first
    "distance" uni. The "short" cranks were tricky at first, but anything
    longer will feel clunky on the road once you get used to it.

    --
    phlegm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64416

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. If you want a wheel for cruising on the street I would sugest building
    up the 29er wheel. you will notice a huge difrence between that and a
    26X3" wheel. I have a muni with the Gazz 26X3 and put short cranks on
    it, didnt like the combination much then built up a road wheel with a
    27 X 1 1/4" tire (about 29.5" OD) with the short cranks. the difrence
    was phenominal.

    The skinny light tire had way less rolling resistance and was much more
    "snappy"

    unfourtunately this is also the wheel that I was using when I destroyed
    my shoulder last year so doo be carefull of going too short with your
    cranks.

    good luck

    ERIC

    --
    saskatchewanian

    The Coker isn't elegant, it's majestic
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64416

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I have a uni set up this way: a Gazz 26x3" with 170mm cranks is one
    wheelset, and a Big Apple 29er with 125mm cranks is the other. A Yuni
    29er frame fits both tires. The outside diameter of the two setups is
    quite similar, but the wheels ride totally differently; you can't just
    look at crank length compared to wheel diameter to assess what kind of
    ride you'll get.

    I call it Frankenstein, because it's a little weird and thrown together
    from the remnants of other unis. It's not perfectly ideal, because the
    beefy frame is wider and more knee-knocking than would be best for 29er
    mode, but it is nice to be able to loan out a uni for either road rides
    or MUni rides, depending on what's needed at the moment.

    If you do this, you will want to do something about the bearing
    holders. Total best would be to get Jim Roberts to make you a set of
    his quick-release bearings so you can swap back and forth quickly. At
    the very least, you should use acorn nuts and lock rings rather than
    lock nuts, so you can hand tighten and loosen most of the way.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64416

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.