Upgrading a road bike

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
I've put about 1500 miles on my stock 2004 Bianchi Giro (serios club riding but no racing) and I'm finding that although I really like the frame, the Shimano 105 components don't work as well as I'd like them to. The shifting and braking are mediocre at best.
I've always thought about upgrading to Campy Record for smoother function and weight reduction and I'd like to get some opinions. I've road a couple of friend's very high-end bikes with Campy Record and I feel that the funtioning of their components is far superior to my Shimnano 105's. If I upgraded my brake calipers, brake levers, and seatpost to Campy could I shave a lb or 2 of my 19.5 lb Giro?
Of course I understand that purchasing a new bike with a Campy group would save me money but I don't want to part with my frame. Am I missing something...Is there something a higher end frame can do for me?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
A-

I personally think that the 2005 Shimano Ultegra groupset (with 10 speed rear cluster) is an excellent groupset for your riding style. Many of the parts should be interchangeable and/or compatible with the 105 groupset that you already have, so a full replacement of the groupset won't be entirely necessary, that is, if you are happy with some of the current components and not others. Certainly the brakes should be upgraded- big difference in quality there; while the Ultegra shifting is quite smooth and reliable. Upgrading the seatpost should not be necessary, unless you want to swap an alloy one for a carbon one, which will dampen road vibrations noticeably. By all means keep the frame, too. Good luck.

Reiti said:
Upgrading the seatpost should not be necessary, unless you want to swap an alloy one for a carbon one, which will dampen road vibrations noticeably.
BS!...........

Andrepaul said:
I've put about 1500 miles on my stock 2004 Bianchi Giro (serios club riding but no racing) and I'm finding that although I really like the frame, the Shimano 105 components don't work as well as I'd like them to. The shifting and braking are mediocre at best.
I've always thought about upgrading to Campy Record for smoother function and weight reduction and I'd like to get some opinions.
Certainly Record 10 has high bling and poseur value. If you rode with friends who had sora and tiagra,105 would be better than you are.

My training bike has a Tiagra FD and a 105 RD and it shifts fine (not as smoothly as my ultegra bike). Is it possible that the derailleurs just need some adjustment? If you want to upgrade, I agree that ultegra 10 speed will be just fine.

Andrepaul said:
If I upgraded my brake calipers, brake levers, and seatpost to Campy could I shave a lb or 2 of my 19.5 lb Giro?
Of course I understand that purchasing a new bike with a Campy group would save me money but I don't want to part with my frame.
You're going to have to upgrade the entire groupo, not just the levers and calipers since they don't work with shimano components. Yeah there is a big difference between Record and 105, and Record is damn nice.

Depending on where you go, expect to spend about $2500+ for an entire Record groupo. Getting a new bike with Record comes in at evern more money.

Take a look at the new Ultegra and Dura-Ace, still very nice upgrades from the 105 and you'll save alot of dough.

StartTday said:
You're going to have to upgrade the entire groupo, not just the levers and calipers since they don't work with shimano components. Yeah there is a big difference between Record and 105, and Record is damn nice.

Depending on where you go, expect to spend about $2500+ for an entire Record groupo. Getting a new bike with Record comes in at evern more money.

Take a look at the new Ultegra and Dura-Ace, still very nice upgrades from the 105 and you'll save alot of dough.
Where do you get this screaming nonsense? CC sells complete record group for about $1770 and Da 10 for about $1850. You can do better shopping around.

boudreaux said:
Where do you get this screaming nonsense? CC sells complete record group for about $1770 and Da 10 for about $1850. You can do better shopping around.
Ugh.... I get this "nonsense" from retail stores that get their groupos sets at wholesale for about $1500... and sell it retail for $3000.

Hey guys, peace, peace. :)

Back to topic!

Remove and clean the brake and shifter inner cables, relube with a suitable product, I use Tri-flow, cables now go much better, its called maintenance. :cool:

Step away from the carpet bong!

Nothing wrong whatsoever with 105 components unless your ego is involved. This past spring I built a bike with new 105 all around and it is as smooth as silk. With only 1500 miles on your bike nothing should be worn out, more likely an adjustment needs to be done due to cable stretch. If you don't feel comfy doing it yourself drop a few bucks at your LBS for a tuneup. Properly tuned 105 will beat the pants off mal-adjusted DA any day. Spend your big bucks on something else......

It's worth the money to upgrade.... I started off with a full Ti Litespeed - 9spd Ultegra bike last year. After 7500+ miles, I upgraded to 10spd Dura-Ace and Ksyrium SSC Sl wheels. My LBS switched the components for $60 !!!!

WOW - what a difference. The braking, shifting, weight are all a HUGH improvement.

On the other hand, it was a $2500+ upgrade. But the full Ti frame will last a lifetime and the fit and feel is incredible.

So - if your REALLY attached to your frame and fit, Upgrade.

Otherwise, for the amount of money you plan to upgrade on components, there are a lot of 2004 and 2005 bikes still available for reasonable $. And your old bike may be traded at your LBS - or throw it on your trainer for a winter bike.

StartTday said:
Ugh.... I get this "nonsense" from retail stores that get their groupos sets at wholesale for about $1500... and sell it retail for $3000.
Guess P.T. Barnum was right. How many have you bought....LOL.. :rolleyes:

capwater said:
Step away from the carpet bong!

Nothing wrong whatsoever with 105 components unless your ego is involved. .
Nailed it!! His buds are riding Record.

boudreaux said:

By bike was built with Record 10 that I purchased through a combination of E-Bay, Performance, Excel and a FD from my LBS. I wanted to treat myself and I'm at a stage in life where I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to swing it. It is a beautiful group that functions flawlessly and it certainly compliments my Italian frame nicely. That being said, I still cringe everytime this guy shows up for our club rides on his beat up Cannondale, with mismatched wheels and his 105 groupset, because I know I'm going to suffer. Last year he pulled our entire group for 79 miles at 22+ mph... You can't buy legs.

boudreaux said:

Take all that 105 stuff off immediately, throw them in a box and ship them to me for disposal. :D

Yup, I consider myself a fairly decent rider but I still get schooled by an old guy on an ancient Cdale with old 8 speed stuff and a threaded chromoly fork. It's all about the motor.

capwater said:
Take all that 105 stuff off immediately, throw them in a box and ship them to me for disposal. :D

Yup, I consider myself a fairly decent rider but I still get schooled by an old guy on an ancient Cdale with old 8 speed stuff and a threaded chromoly fork. It's all about the motor.
And this old guy does his schooling on old lugged steel with 7 speed downube shifters. The real killer is the one with friction and non aero levers...LOL!! :D

boudreaux said:
And this old guy does his schooling on old lugged steel with 7 speed downube shifters. The real killer is the one with friction and non aero levers...LOL!! :D

Then there's another older guy who loves to taunt us on our hilly rides by occassionally bringing out his fixed gear!

Haa haa. I feel like a dumb a** because I shoudl have known better :) I talked myself out of the Ultegra group on my Klein because I would have had to wait. LOVE my Klein but I knew better. The Klein was set up for a triple crank but was sold as a double. I had them upgrade my shifters after one of the LBS employees that we know pretty well said "The 105 stuff sucks when mixed with the triple/double crank issue."
And , well, it did. HOW NICE he pointed it out after the sale. Anyway, paid a LOT for the Ultegrea shifters and all is good now. I feel like a dumb A** 'cause I should have known better.