Upgrading a spoke protector

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dsr, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsr

dsr Guest

Since my freewheel has worn out I have been riding around with my shifter set on friction. I
    notice that some of the inexpensive 7 speed Shimano freewheels have real nice close gearing for 6
    of the 7 gears.

The Shimano HG37 appears to be about 3 millimeters wider than my current 6 speed freewheel. The
    Schwinn frame is from around 1995 so the rear forks are probably wide enough for 7 speed systems.

Anybody who has tried this have any hints about spacing a 7 speed freewheel on the axle? I will be
    using my old short cage derailleur with a 112 link chain so am not worried about the friction
    setting getting my chain into the spokes.

Thanks for the help!

Tags:

2. Pete Grey

Pete Grey Guest

Works fine, no re-spacing necessary. Just lock out the shift on the low-side, so it won't shift into
    your spokes. I ran this setup on an old Univega, for my winter ride, for a number of years.

-pete

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since my freewheel has worn out I have been riding around with my shifter set on friction. I
    > notice that some of the inexpensive 7 speed Shimano freewheels have real nice close gearing for 6
    > of the 7 gears.
    >
    > The Shimano HG37 appears to be about 3 millimeters wider than my current 6 speed freewheel. The
    > Schwinn frame is from around 1995 so the rear forks are probably wide enough for 7 speed systems.
    >
    > Anybody who has tried this have any hints about spacing a 7 speed freewheel on the axle? I will be
    > using my old short cage derailleur with a 112 link chain so am not worried about the friction
    > setting getting my chain into the spokes.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.