Upgrading again (f+r derailleurs this time)

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
So, since this worked well when I was needing help with bottom bracket and crankset upgrading questions, I thought I would try it again.

I'm currently up-grading my 02 Specialized Rockhopper to be my main bike for this summer (sold my full-suspension). http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=20860

I already did shifters last year(Shimano LX), and have purchased crankset/bb (Race Face Evolve XC with X-type external bb), and am in the process of finding a new XT 11-32 cassette (m760) and chain. I'm wanting to go to full Shimano XT componets, but I'm not sure which derailleurs to go with. So here are my questions:

Rear: (currently Shimano Deore LX)
Do I need the Long cage (GS) or super-long cage (SGS), or does it matter?

Front: (currently Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp, bottom pull)
Am I looking for a 'Dual Pull' to replace this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Retro Grouch

Dec 29, 2005
You need an SGS rear derailleur. The only thing that the long cage does is to take up the additional chain slack that a triple front crankset generates. You can "cheat" a little with a road bike because you only use the granny with the biggest couple of rear cogs but, if you're doing real mountain biking, you use the granny a lot more and with more of the cassette cogs. There's no real world drawback to using the long cage derailleur.

You'll need either a bottom pull or a dual pull front derailleur. The alternative would be to change the cable routing and that's WAY more trouble than it's worth.

Uh - if you'd be interested in stepping up to an XTR front derailleur (NOS), what do you have for tradeing stock? I'd be real hot for a moderately used pair of 747 pedals or a pair of old style Ultegra SPD pedals.

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
Retro Grouch said:
You need an SGS rear derailleur. The only thing that the long cage does is to take up the additional chain slack that a triple front crankset generates. You can "cheat" a little with a road bike because you only use the granny with the biggest couple of rear cogs but, if you're doing real mountain biking, you use the granny a lot more and with more of the cassette cogs. There's no real world drawback to using the long cage derailleur.

You'll need either a bottom pull or a dual pull front derailleur. The alternative would be to change the cable routing and that's WAY more trouble than it's worth.

Uh - if you'd be interested in stepping up to an XTR front derailleur (NOS), what do you have for tradeing stock? I'd be real hot for a moderately used pair of 747 pedals or a pair of old style Ultegra SPD pedals.
So, if I went with the RD-M751/M760-SGS rear and FD-M761 (type-6/Down Swing FD (66-69º) for 44T top) I would be fine?

I'm not a road biker, this is a mountain bike, and I do tend to over-use my granny some rides.

As for trading stock, I got nothing. I'm so far away from the LBS that most of my up-grades are internet purchased, hence the reason I like this forum for checking compatability before buying.

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
is there any other factors that I'm not considering with this upgrade??:confused:

I'm ready to buy (online source), but want to make sure. thanks