Upgrading an 8 speed Shimano 105 to 9 speed.

Status

Hi There

Guest
Hello

Please forgive my relative ignorance in terms of bike mechanics and the newbieish nature of
this post.

I would really like to upgrade my 8 speed setup (12-23) to a 9 speed 12-27 (lots of mountains around
here, and I like to spin, I have a 52x38 in front). My drivetrain is a 'pure' Shimano 105, as far as
I can understand I have several options (from cheapest to most expensive as far as I know):

1- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain: would the shifting work? would I have
to do something about the indexing?

2- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain, the ultegra 'inner ring', change the
STI shifter for the rear.

3- spend the $$$ and just upgrade the whole drivetrain, probably also go to a 52x36 in front. I
really don't want to do this as the frame is not worth the investment (devinci vanilla alu).

what do people here think? any advice?

Originally posted by Hi There

Hi there wrote:
> Hello
>
> Please forgive my relative ignorance in terms of bike mechanics and the newbieish nature of
> this post.
>
> I would really like to upgrade my 8 speed setup (12-23) to a 9 speed 12-27 (lots of mountains
> around here, and I like to spin, I have a 52x38 in front). My drivetrain is a 'pure' Shimano
> 105, as far as I can understand I have several options (from cheapest to most expensive as far
> as I know):
>
> 1- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain: would the shifting work? would I
> have to do something about the indexing?

You'd need 9 speed levers/STi too,

> what do people here think? any advice?

Originally posted by Hi There
Hello

Please forgive my relative ignorance in terms of bike mechanics and the newbieish nature of
this post.

I would really like to upgrade my 8 speed setup (12-23) to a 9 speed 12-27 (lots of mountains around
here, and I like to spin, I have a 52x38 in front). My drivetrain is a 'pure' Shimano 105, as far as
I can understand I have several options (from cheapest to most expensive as far as I know):

1- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain: would the shifting work? would I have
to do something about the indexing?

2- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain, the ultegra 'inner ring', change the
STI shifter for the rear.

3- spend the $$$ and just upgrade the whole drivetrain, probably also go to a 52x36 in front. I
really don't want to do this as the frame is not worth the investment (devinci vanilla alu).

what do people here think? any advice?
13 - 26 eight speed is still available. See URL:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=1421
If this isn't low enough, what about changing to a Shimano MTB rear derailer and Shimano 8 Speed MTB HG cassette?
You could go 9 speed, but to get optimum shifting performance you will need to change a lot.
One way to save some is to go with down-tube or bar-end shifter.
You can get by with just changing rear shifter, chain, and cassette.
Your shifting may be OK, but it will be better if you change out everything.
By the way, most new Shimano double crank sets are 53/39.

Another option you might want to consider is to install a XT 12-32 mtb cassette for more
spinability. One problem though, your 105 Der. might not handle the 12-32 range. You might have to
go with a XT rear Der. also. This is the set-up I'm using on my Specialized Allez which has 39x52
front chainrings. It's a relatively cheap set-up Under $100. Dan

Hi There-<< I would really like to upgrade my 8 speed setup (12-23) to a 9 speed 12-27 (lots of
mountains around here, and I like to spin, I have a 52x38 in front). My drivetrain is a 'pure'
Shimano 105, >><BR><BR>

Must get a new right shifter for 9s, a 8s one will not work.

You can also get any road, shimano long cage rear der and get a wider ratio 8s cogset, like a
13-28 or so.

If you do go to 9s, you do not need to change the inner chainring.

"Hi there" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello
>
> Please forgive my relative ignorance in terms of bike
mechanics and
> the newbieish nature of this post.
>
> I would really like to upgrade my 8 speed setup (12-23) to
a 9 speed
> 12-27 (lots of mountains around here, and I like to spin,
I have a
> 52x38 in front). My drivetrain is a 'pure' Shimano 105, as
far as I
> can understand I have several options (from cheapest to
most expensive
> as far as I know):
>
> 1- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed
chain: would
> the shifting work? would I have to do something about the
indexing?

> 2- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed
chain, the
> ultegra 'inner ring', change the STI shifter for the rear.
>
> 3- spend the $$$ and just upgrade the whole drivetrain,
probably also
> go to a 52x36 in front. I really don't want to do this as
the frame is
> not worth the investment (devinci vanilla alu).
>
> what do people here think? any advice?

You'll need new shifters for nine speed - but why do you want to go to nine speed?

If it's because there's no 'equivalent' cassette to Ultegra 12-27 in eight speed, then build your
own - buy a seven speed 13-28, replace the spacers with the eight speed ones from your current
cassette, and add the 12T sprocket.

You won't be able to go to a 36T chainring on a Shimano 105 130mm BCD crank. The smallest you can
use is 38T.

On 17 Nov 2003 13:36:20 -0800, [email protected] (Hi there) wrote:

>1- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain: would the shifting work? would I have
>to do something about the indexing?
>
>2- get the cogset I want (probably Ultegra), a 9 speed chain, the ultegra 'inner ring', change the
>STI shifter for the rear.
>
>3- spend the $$$ and just upgrade the whole drivetrain, probably also go to a 52x36 in front. I
>really don't want to do this as the frame is not worth the investment (devinci vanilla alu).
>
>what do people here think? any advice?

The least cost option would be to buy a Sugino XD crankset from Andrew Muzi. The rings I believe are
48/36/?. Remove the inner ring and you'll have 48/36 or maybe you can get a ring exchange and get
48/34. Your existing bb, assuming it is square, should give you a decent chainline. The 34/23 is
equivalent to a 38/26. Your other opions will cost a chain, cassette, and a set of shifters.

The least, least cost option is to get a 12/28 x 8sp cassette.

Status
Not open for further replies.