upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy - help needed !!

Pete A

Guest
Thanks for all the comments. Yes, will take bike back to LBS & get
them to check out the front mech. Have about managed to get it
working, with only a slight touching on inside face when in lowest
gear. However, the height is **** postion - nearly 6mm above outer
ring ! The front mech is a 'Nexave Compact' one, so I would have
thought that this is suitable for any compact chainset ?? Ideally, I
need to front mech cage to be about 3 or 4 mm shorter, then it would
clear frame ok.

Cant understand if others have upgraded bikes of this era, why this
particular Galaxy has such a bad chainline ? I assume it would have
originally been a 10 speed setup, as this bike has chromed front forks
- think it must be early 1980's model. The person I bought it off had
it setup as a single speed bike, so dont know if this would have made
a difference.

Does anyone know of likely costs in future if I was looking at having
it stripped down, relevant cantilever/bottle bosses put on & resprayed
? The frame is basically sound, though its showing its age ! Anywhere
I can get suitable Dawes transfers from ?

Pete A wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments. Yes, will take bike back to LBS & get
> them to check out the front mech.........

> Cant understand if others have upgraded bikes of this era, why this
> particular Galaxy has such a bad chainline ?

Which way is the chainline out ? If you have the bike in middle rear, and
middle front gear, is the front ring too far in or too far out ?

> Does anyone know of likely costs in future if I was looking at having
> it stripped down, relevant cantilever/bottle bosses put on & resprayed
> ? The frame is basically sound, though its showing its age ! Anywhere
> I can get suitable Dawes transfers from ?

Try one of several bike restorers, adverts often in the CTC magazine or
other cycling magazines for quotes.
Some will be able to provide close matches to the original Dawes transfers.

I had my circa 1990 Nigel Dean restored by Bob Jackson last year. The
results are superb.
http://gallery9898.fotopic.net/c142382.html
The bill came to around £130 including carriage of the frame up and back to
Jackson's. The paint finish was single colour, but not the cheapest option,
and included fitting transfers. There were also a few braise-on changes
(chain hook, extra bottle cage bosses, revised pump peg positions).
A friend of mine has had a Galaxy done similarly at Jackson's to a vintage
looking design with dark green frame with white sections in the head-tube
and seat-tube.

If you had a more budget paint job, you may get the whole lot done for under
£100.

But, you would also need to factor in any extra parts you might need to
build up the bike when painted up. Such as the new brakes, brake cables and
anything else which you felt was sub-standard on the rebuild (cranks looking
scuffed, chainrings a bit old, gear shifters, brake levers, etc. etc.).
Even little things add to the cost; handlebar coverings (grab-on in my case)
and the chainstay protector (found a carbon-like finish one from M:part
which stays stuck on, unlike the rubberised ones which don't stick to the
glue).

Given the cost of some quite decent new bikes, such as Dawes from a couple
of years ago, advertised at some dealers in magazines, you may find it more
economical to get a new bike. Equally one can get a new frame (in more
modern material choices) for not much more than my restoration cost.
Therefore, unless the old bike has high sentimental value, the
conversion/restoration may not be worthwhile.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

NC wrote:

> Therefore, unless the old bike has high sentimental value, the
> conversion/restoration may not be worthwhile.

Thats a very good point. I have priced up getting my tourer refinished
at Jacksons and to the standard I'd like, which is nowhere near its
original standard would be prohibitively expensive. It has got
sentimental value so I'll use it until it falls apart then get a new
frame and port as many parts as I can.