upgrading campagnolo 9 speed shifters to 10 speed

fred

Guest
I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
"carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
record 10 spped derrailer.

My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
to buy and where can I get it?

You should have saved you money and tried the current derailleur...

You will need an index gear (about $40) and a finger ratchet (about $20).

Since you've got the lever apart, may as well put in a new pair of
G-springs ($10/pair) and the spring holder ($10). Once all is back
together, you'll probably need new brake and gear inner cables and
handlebar tape. This is a lot of nickels and dimes that add up, but
it's a worthwhile project. Oh yeah, and you need a 10-spd cog set. You
could probably have bought all you needed for less than the price of
that new 10-spd derailleur, and rumor has it the 9-spd works just fine.

fred wrote:
> I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
> speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
> "carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
> computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
> the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
> screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
> record 10 spped derrailer.
>
> My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
> campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
> kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
> to buy and where can I get it?

Yes they are the newer style Ergo's. No you didn't need a new rear
derailleur.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

fred wrote:
> I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
> speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
> "carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
> computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
> the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
> screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
> record 10 spped derrailer.
>
> My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
> campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
> kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
> to buy and where can I get it?

If they have the buttons, probably. need the 10s shift disc(EC-RE-061)
andf a toothed bushing for the front, EC-RE-062, and somebody that can
convert them. I would change the springs as well and also modify the
back cover(EC-RE-124 and small, thin cover-EC-RE-057).

Didn't need the new RD, BTW-The other one would have worked if not worn
out.

Lou Holtman wrote:
> fred wrote:
> > I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
> > speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
> > "carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
> > computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
> > the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
> > screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
> > record 10 spped derrailer.
> >
> > My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
> > campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
> > kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
> > to buy and where can I get it?
> >

> Yes they are the newer style Ergo's. No you didn't need a new rear
> derailleur.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Well, 1998 were also 'newer style' but cannot be converted because of a
change in 1999 to accomodate ERGO brain, for info.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>
>>fred wrote:
>>
>>>I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
>>>speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
>>>"carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
>>>computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
>>>the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
>>>screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
>>>record 10 spped derrailer.
>>>
>>>My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
>>>campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
>>>kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
>>>to buy and where can I get it?
>>>

>>Yes they are the newer style Ergo's. No you didn't need a new rear
>>derailleur.
>>
>>Lou
>>--
>>Posted by news://news.nb.nu

> Well, 1998 were also 'newer style' but cannot be converted because of a
> change in 1999 to accomodate ERGO brain, for info.

thanks for the info,

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

fred wrote:

> I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
> speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
> "carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
> computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
> the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
> screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
> record 10 spped derrailer.
>
> My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
> campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
> kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
> to buy and where can I get it?

Just the shift cam :
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html
(part "G" in diagram)
$34.95 (or $59.95 in titanium!)

any competent LBS which commonly services bicycles will have
them.
While it is open take a look at the indexing springs. The
wire begins as a round cross section. As they wear the edge
gets D-shaped and thin. Replace if visibly worn. $9.95/pair

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 18 Feb 2006 17:24:46 -0800, "fred" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
>campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
>kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
>to buy and where can I get it?

Your levers are upgradable. You need a 10sp shift disk, a 10sp shift
disk and 10sp shift cam. Usually, you put a new set of G springs in
because they are inexpensive and in your hand while doing the
conversion.

Instructions can be found to replace the G springs online at
www.yellowjersey.org or in Zinn's book. That same instruction will
work with the shift disk. Replacing the shift cam, which requires the
removal of the shift lever, makes the job much more difficult. You
could not do this and the system would work but you would not have a
perfect conversion.

peter chisolm at Vecchio's or A.Muzi at yellowjersey.org can get you
all the parts you need and do the conversion too.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
> > fred wrote:
> > > I bought a bike on ebay that I would like to upgrade from campagnolo 9
> > > speed to 10 speed. The brake levers are record 9 speed and say on them
> > > "carbon bb system". They have rounded hoods and buttons for the
> > > computer. They look like the newer style 9 speed shifters. However
> > > the rear derrailer on the bike is the older style 9 speed with the b
> > > screw located not on the derrailer body. I have already bought a new
> > > record 10 spped derrailer.
> > >
> > > My question is does anyone know if these do these sound like the newer
> > > campy 9 speeds shifters that can be upgraded to 10 speed or the older
> > > kind that can not be.upgraded to 10 speed? If so what part do I need
> > > to buy and where can I get it?
> > >

> > Yes they are the newer style Ergo's. No you didn't need a new rear
> > derailleur.
> >
> > Lou
> > --
> > Posted by news://news.nb.nu

> Well, 1998 were also 'newer style' but cannot be converted because of a
> change in 1999 to accomodate ERGO brain, for info.

But I would guess the "carbon BB system" came on the carbon Record
levers, which were not introduced until 1999. As you know 1998 Record
were aluminum levers with cutouts in the small lever. My 1998 Chorus
round hood Ergo aluminum levers do not say "carbon BB system" on the
front of the shifter. Just "BB system". And my 1998 Ergo rubber hoods
do not have the computer buttons. Built in computer buttons on the
hoods did not start until at least 1999 or later. Of course the hoods
could be newer replacements...