Upgrading Campy speeds? (and no, this isn't an historical joke)

davidd86

Nov 29, 2004
Laugh if you will -- I don't upgrade more than once a decade:

Can anyone tell me exactly how to convert a Campy 8-speed system to a 9-speed? These are the older-style "pointy" levers, if that matters. I know I need a new shift disc in the RH ergolever, and a chain, and a 9s cassette. Questions:

- will the 9s cassette cogs just drop right onto my 8s hub?
- do I need new chainrings?
- do I need new pulleys in the RD?
- will the RD otherwise work (I thought I read something about the 9s version having a slenderer cage so as not to interfere w/the spokes?)

I don't know if this is worth doing, but I would like one bigger cog for emergency climbs later this summer, without giving up my normal 12/23 gears.

davidd86 said:
Laugh if you will -- I don't upgrade more than once a decade:

Can anyone tell me exactly how to convert a Campy 8-speed system to a 9-speed? These are the older-style "pointy" levers, if that matters. I know I need a new shift disc in the RH ergolever, and a chain, and a 9s cassette. Questions:

- will the 9s cassette cogs just drop right onto my 8s hub?
- do I need new chainrings?
- do I need new pulleys in the RD?
- will the RD otherwise work (I thought I read something about the 9s version having a slenderer cage so as not to interfere w/the spokes?)

I don't know if this is worth doing, but I would like one bigger cog for emergency climbs later this summer, without giving up my normal 12/23 gears.
www.branfordbike has the drill on most of it. Big issue is difference in hub body spline pattern between 8 and 9/10 speed.

Looked at the link ... good Lord, that's expensive and looks like a pain. Probably as much $$$ as I've spent on my bike over the past five years! I think the better answer is to not worry about it. But I really appreciate your heads-up.

boudreaux said:
www.branfordbike has the drill on most of it. Big issue is difference in hub body spline pattern between 8 and 9/10 speed.