upgrading components, advice needed

Alex B

Jul 22, 2005
2000 or 2001 Trek 1200 with Sora component group. Triple chainring and 8 speed in the back. The drivetrain is worn and I am looking for a replacement/upgrade. I have done all of my own bike repair but I have never done an upgrade. Can anyone give advice on how to ensure compatability and choose components? Shimano 105 seems to be where I am going with price. Input on wheels also please.

Alex B said:
2000 or 2001 Trek 1200 with Sora component group. Triple chainring and 8 speed in the back. The drivetrain is worn and I am looking for a replacement/upgrade. I have done all of my own bike repair but I have never done an upgrade. Can anyone give advice on how to ensure compatability and choose components? Shimano 105 seems to be where I am going with price. Input on wheels also please.

What is "worn" on the drivetrain?

Full upgrade would be rear derailler, bb, crank, cassette & shifters (toss in a new chain as well). Front derailler may work ok, but 105 FDs are only about $20 so I'd go with it. You're probably looking at the $300 range.

chain, rear derailler, front derailler, and probably bb since it spins freely forever and has grinding sound in it.
capwater said:
What is "worn" on the drivetrain?

Full upgrade would be rear derailler, bb, crank, cassette & shifters (toss in a new chain as well). Front derailler may work ok, but 105 FDs are only about $20 so I'd go with it. You're probably looking at the $300 range.

Alex B said:
chain, rear derailler, front derailler, and probably bb since it spins freely forever and has grinding sound in it.

Pretty hard to wear out deraillers unless you wreck. You might get by with a new BB, chain and most likely a cassette. But .... you really want to upgrade that low end bike right?! Your big outlay will be the shifters ($150) to get you into 9 speed land. The rest is pretty cheap.