Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Upgrading Crankset to Centaur Ultra Torque

Started by nitrous · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,030 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 July 2007
Last activity
30 July 2007
Original author
nitrous
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,030
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My BB has crapped itsself again and as I have been thinking of going compact for a while, I suppose now is the time. Question is, what do I need to purchase to change from 3 yr old Centaur to the new Ultra Torque system.

    http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=L4024

    Take it I need external bearings, the crank, BB??.

    I've also read conflicting stories about having to replace the front derailer. True or false?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. I have just completed a build with that UT system.

    You'll need,
    - Crankset (50/34 + bearing)
    - External cups (English or Italian depending on your frame's spec)
    - FD (CT specific)
    - Chain (possibly)

    You'll also need the tools to install these. The crankset is joined in the middle by an allen bolt that requires 42Nm of torque.

  3. sogood said:


    - External cups (English or Italian depending on your frame's spec)

    Thanks, that's what I thought. How do I tell if my frame is english or Italian ('05 Giant TCR composite)?

  4. nitrous said:

    Thanks, that's what I thought. How do I tell if my frame is english or Italian ('05 Giant TCR composite)?

    Its English.

  5. nitrous said:

    Thanks, that's what I thought. How do I tell if my frame is english or Italian ('05 Giant TCR composite)?

    As Existence points out it's English. It won't be Italian unless you've got an Italian frame such as say a De Rosa. You can tell by measuring the shell width, an English will be 68mm, and Italian 73mm.

    --brett

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.