Upgrading Drivetrain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by zolik, Feb 19, 2007.

1. zolik

zolik New Member

Hi All,

I require some information, Im thinking of upgrading my Drive train. Im not a hardcore racer, more of a weekend worrior that likes to spend his time on the singletrack on the weekend and go for a good ride during the workin week. I currently have a Scott Reflex 50 with some clipless shimano pedals and a upgraded ritchey carbon Rizer bar and stem.
    Id like to upgade my drive train to about the Deore mark however would probably do this slowly as I have many debts to pay off and cant afford to much all at once.
    Currently the Drivetrain consists of Acera and Altus Components [​IMG] The main question is can I use a deore rear derailure on a 8 speed cassette and shifter? Or should I upgrade the cassette and rear deraillure at the same time and then the shifter and crank/front deraillure later [​IMG]

I would like some feedback on the best, most affordable way to upgrade without having to buy all the components first

Thanks

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Buy all except the 9 speed Cassette and Shifters first, all the rest are ok for 8 or 9 speed.

3. zolik

zolik New Member

Thanks for the quick responce gclark8 and will do [​IMG]
    Ohh and btw if I wanted to save a couple extra $$ will a Alivio Crank and front deraillure be okay to run with the other deore components? or do I need to use 9speed compatible components? Im not sure if this matters? [​IMG]

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Good idea to match the Crankset and Chain, 8/8 or 9/9,
    as for the FD, the big ring size, 48 or 42 tooth is the thing here, it you need to change the size, then go Deore.

5. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I run a 9spd chain with a 7spd crankset, with no problems. Try the 9spd chain on your old crankset first - then change the crankset if you're sure that you're not happy with it.

6. zolik

zolik New Member

Thanks for the replys. I think I will get Front and rear deraillure, Chain and Crankset first. Then upgrade the Shifters and Cassette after I have some more $$$.

Also in regards to the Bottom Bracket, will this also need to be upgraded to suite the crankset? or can I use the one I currently have (Shimano BB-TY-30 Cartridge Type)? Sorry for all the questions :)

7. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

As for BB, it all depends on the crankset you pick. It may suit, it may need to be replaced.

Why spend so much just for 1 more gear? What do you use the bike for?

8. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I agree - is it all worth it? Why not upgrade something when you wear it out or break it, rather than arbitrarily? For example, I notice no difference between a Deore LX/Deore DX/Ultegra mix on one bike, and a Deore XT/ XTR mix on another bike.

9. zolik

zolik New Member

I suppose I wasnt thinking so much the extra gear but quality of the Product.
    I do mainly XC riding, the bike does see road occasionally as I ride down to a trail on the weekdays as opposed to driving out to a trail somehwere on weekends.

also availability of the product, seems deore is more availble then say Alivio products. Im not happy with the quality that I have at the moment. The gear shifts are slow and awkward, my crankset seems to look a bit dodge too, teeth look to be grinding away!!?